• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Better off not working!

tinkerbelle93

2 little boys :)
Reaction score
Just rang the tax credits office regarding a job i've seen advertised and childcare help and I'm actually better off NOT working!

I'm just a little bit sad because I applied for a part-time job that I really liked the look of, just doing 25 hours a week and rang tax credits to enquire about getting help for childcare costs.

Because my partner earns around 20K after tax, we get a little bit of tax/child tax credits every month.. not a lot just a teeny bit to help. I work as well but only shift a week.

If I was to take this job, I would not get help with childcare due to my fiances income.. the childcare costs would therefore cancel out any money that I was making.. but to top it off it would make our income appear higher (since they dont take childcare costs into account) and then therefore stop the credits we get every month now! So basically.. if I wanted to try and work more hours to get us a bit better off then we'd have LESS coming in every month.

I'm not complaining because we are quite comfortable and I am lucky to have a fiance with a stable job.. it just makes me sad that I'm better off just sitting at home and don't even have the option iykwim? It's nice to be able to think hard work=money. I think it's a bit sad that a lot of mums don't really have the choice. xx

Are you sure that is right? I earn 12.7k and my OH is 24k and we would get help with child care. And when we have #2 it says we would get as well - as costs would double to like £800 a month,

Are you sure that's right? We have a combined income of over £36k (I'm part time) and we still get tax credits (only one child)

I am sure tax credits are calculated based on the last tax year, not this one, so could it be because you had more coming in last year than this year? If this is the case, you will be entitled to more after April when the next tax year starts.

This is what I was told anyway as was sure I should be entitled to more than I am getting. Look into it, speak to your local Citizens advice, or phone up tax office and ask them straight about how the tax credits are worked out. They should help clarify it for you.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"