big deal out of nothing?

Vickie

Hannah & Rhys <3
Reaction score
I thought I'd ask you girls opinions. When we got pregnant we told Stan's mom that she could use the Chinese word for grandma for Hannah to call her (and she'd call my mom grandma). Little did we know that the word (in her dialect) for grandma sounds like "ah-ma" which to me sounds an awful lot like ma-ma. We've tried to tell her that this could get confusing for Hannah but she just won't listen. Should I just drop it or should I stick to my guns? When Hannah starts talking and saying ma-ma I don't want any confusion as to who she's referring to :(

i would ask her to change it, it wont be just u that gets confused, Hannah might end up getting fustrated whe the wrong person responds to her if that makes sense

mm..I get what you mean. Is there no chinese word for Nana? Or would it just be the same?

:shrug: I'm not sure. We've asked her to change it a couple of times already yet she insists on using it :wacko:

i think i would ask her to change it to hannah could get confused x x

I would ask about the Nana thing. Even if its just a little bit different. I imagine it would be confusing to both you and Hannah later on

It does sound very confusing, I dont know hun if you have already asked and got nowhere maybe you need to insist that she changes to something else, easier said than done.

It does sound very confusing, I dont know hun if you have already asked and got nowhere maybe you need to insist that she changes to something else, easier said than done.

Thanks girls, I think Stan's going to talk to her one on one and try to get her to understand why we're against using this. Hopefully she'll listen :lol: but I don't count on it

hope she does listen vickie, i agree it is confusing and i personally would want it chaged. hope she understands :hugs:

I agree,quite confusing! When kids start learning words they first need to tell apart words.Thats why they firstly start saying words that aren't very alike...

I hope Stan can reason with her,she seems like a tough cookie :lol:

argh they came back over after shopping and she's still not listening, I might just have to resign myself to this (though I still think any version of mama, mom, mommy should be reserved for me :cry:)

When I was a child I had a nanny I called Amah. I grew up knowing the difference, and as far as I know didn't get confused.

i would suggest you to stick to what you prefer. Your baby your decision. sometimes it could be very difficult with in-laws ( happens to me ALL THE TIME,lol ).
when my baby was crying for food she just took him away from me and said he's not hungry, so i insisted to feed him , i went to her and took him back and fed him right there,lol
different situation but stand up to your decision.

I would stick to your guns... :hugs: Put your foot down.. Your Mama and she is Grandma or Nana .... :hugs:

Kids are very adaptable Vickie, and Hannah will know the difference, even if for a start she will be unable to word it differently.

Both Charlie's sets of grandparents are Grandma and Granddad, and my grandma is also called Grandma to him, and he doesn't get confused at all.:hugs:

I think it'll be okay just because mama is a repeated consonant vowel thing where as the ah-ma misses the first consonant thing...and I think babies first start by doing vowels then do a consonant vowel pattern. I could be totally wrong. I'm trying to remember my acquisition of language module and I can't! Just try to stress the AAAH bit of ahma! She might end up calling her 'aaaah' just as my neice calls my parents 'grrrr'!

Hope you get it sorted anyway x

I know she'll eventually know the difference. But I KNOW these people and when she starts saying stuff anything close to ah-ma they are going to say they are talking about her and not me. Anyways Stan tried to talk to her about it...she's now mad at us

My neice and nephew calls my mum "ma ma" for grandma and "ye ye" for grandpa. Thats my brothers kids.

How bout asking whether his mum would be called "por por" instead- thats grandma. It is quite confusing for others to understand, but I assure you, my neice and nephew are not confused when they call their mum and their grandma- theyr aged 2.5 yrs old and 8yrs old.

Hope that helps. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->