Bigger Car? Am I being unreasonable?

TheNewMrs

Reaction score
Hello Mums!!

So hubby and I had a "discussion" last night about my car. I drive a new-shape Nissan Micra, (Yes one of those that all the granny's drive!) Its a fab wee car, running well and very clean. My only issue is the size of it. Because of hubby's job, I will have to do most of the "outings" alone as he is on-call 6days a week 24 hours a day, giving us 24 hours a week to do things together. We live in a small village and the nearest town is 15 mins drive one way and 25 minds drive another.

Now I'm thinking, by the time I get pram into the boot, car seat in the back seat and any extra bits of shopping ect there won't be any room as the boot is tiny and I wouldn't feel safe having shopping in the back seat with a baby.

I thought of getting a bigger car, maybe something along the lines of a Ford Mondeo, or a Volkswagon passat, nothing too fancy just with a lot more space.

Hubby says the car I have is fine and we're not changing it and that's just that. He doesn't understand how awkward it'll be for me with a small car, and having to do mostly everything by myself and the fears a mum will have.

Am I being unreasonable? Is it perfectly manageable with a small car? Or does it make sense to get a bigger car?

What do you all think?

EDITED TO ADD:
We also have my 8yr old Step-son every second weekend and one night a week till JAn then will be 2 nights a week. Its up to me to bring him to and from all his after school activities most of the time as hubby cannot leave the village when he is on-call (24hours/6days a week.) :flower:

Yes! When I started reading I thought: "she needs a VW passat". I've had mine fpr two years now and she's wonderful. Brilliant drive, very safe (another car hit me writing itself off - all mine needed was panels poppin back in and a new brake cluster) and gets 50 or more to the gallon even now she's 7. I drive the 1.9 tdi as i was told the 1.9/2ltr diesel are vws most efficient engine. She's a saloon but considering an estate next time as I want dogs too.

As for reasonable, I recently got a stepson as a bonus in this relationship. I really doubt I would have managed with a smaller car.

Hi! In my experience I think you will be fine to start with. When I had my dd I had a 3 door Fiat Punto so a small car, I had to ditch the parcel shelf to get the pram in but I still managed to squash the shopping in and on the back seat. My dd was in the front seat until about 6 months with the airbags switched off. It was only when I got sick of banging my head and on occasion hers :( after she moved front facing and into the back seat of the car - but it was more due to the fact it was 3 door rather than 5! We have now upgraded car as my brother was selling his so we got it cheap and with no.2 on the way I am glad of the extra space :)

Debs

For my first baby i had a 53 Micra and loved it, my boot was adjustable and got the hefty pushchair in easily - we have a maxi cosi Mura, and it got a bit tight with the pram top in though and would have struggled to get much more in the boot.
Now number 2 is on its way i have had to change cars (although only to a fiesta) as i need a 5 door which mine wasnt and it was getting a bit tight space wise in the back seat for Libby.
I was lucky as my boot adjusted size, but with a pram & baby in i couldnt fit anyone else in once her legs started to get longer than the car seat!!!

My best friend has a new shape micra and a ten month old baby and theres plenty of room! The new micras arent actually small they are quite big compared to most cars!

We can easily fit shopping, buggy, baby, my best friend and another friend in the car at once xx

Ohhh just remembered the another bonus of having a smaller car is that you have more space to manouevre baby in and out of the car in small car parking spaces! Believe me it is rare I can get a mother and child space and it was much easier in a standard space when I had my Punto!

I think your dh is being unreasonable tbh!! I think everything should be about compromise! I would want something larger, even a focus or astra size would be good. I also need to change my car but to a massive bus lol xxx

We have a vw passat and i hate it its 1.8 petrol and its just terrible on fuel my oh only works 5 miles away and we waste £30 a week on fuel. all estates tend to be bad on fuel unless they are newer models or diesel! they are great for space and pretty comfy but honestly nasty to drive, its sluggish and for a 1.8 you'd expect it to be faster than 1.4 lupo but it isnt as its heavy, after driving a small car its pretty hard to remember to go wider on corners because you'll end up up the curb it takes a while to get used to, and parking is a nightmare if you live in the city. i would say get a diesel if you go for an estate. mechanically it is fine as OH if a mechanic so we know its just the car and its age its a 1998 model.

I have 3 children in a rover 214. Yes you are being a tad unreasonable. You have 1 child?? You dont need anything bigger. Shopping can go on the floor if there is no more room in the boot or in the foot well at the front, I think you are just making excuses and going a bit overboard with the 'what ifs'.

Personally I would change the pram than the car.

My friend had a micra when she just had her son once the pram was in the boot and all the additional baby things it was a bit of a squeeze she managed for a while but then swapped for a seat ibiza.
I've got two cars (long story!) I've a 3 series bmw and a new shape corsa. I'm wondering if either will be big enough with car seats prams baby things. Will have to see im definately wanting to know how small the prams fold and if they fit in the boot.

id try it an if it is really that bad then show him an then he has a visual as to how bad it is if it really is, you never know there may be enough room an you may be suprised

I am laughing here because of the different cultures:). I am originally from Brazil where small cars are a big hit and everyone carries everything and fit everything in it. Now I live in the US for about 11 years and my mind just turned into the bigger the better :haha:. And I live in Texas which makes it even worst. All you see if SUV, and trucks. I got a bigger car for this baby although I had a wonderful small SUV ( but in my mind the infant car seat did not fit in the back seat correctly :haha:. Call me crazy I know! Now I have a big bathtub and man I am glad I don't have to do parallel parking with that thing!!!
So I am not the best person to give you an opinion about car sizes:).

I think your dh is being unreasonable tbh!! I think everything should be about compromise! I would want something larger, even a focus or astra size would be good. I also need to change my car but to a massive bus lol xxx

Haha I had to laugh at this. I have an astra and although I have a good size boot and plenty of space in the actual back it's only a 3 door lol. My doors open big for their first notch and so getting baby in in a car parking space is going to be a nightmare! Also it's a 60plate and so there is NO WAY I can change it (I also love it and will manage in order to keep it) but just saying...not always a better option for q bigger car lol

:flower:

I drive a mini cooper and I can honestly say that for one baby it's more than fine. We were limited on pushchair/travel system choices but we found one than fits in the boot and putting lo into the back hasn't been a problem.

Now here comes my issue - baby number 2! In terms of baby seats, I'm happy that I will be fine with dd's forward facing seat and new baby's carrier. The push chair is another issue! I think dh and I may have to swap cars for a bit.

But I see no reason why you need a bigger car at this stage.

I have a ford KA and I'm not changing it. We can't afford to at this stage and I don't like the idea of driving a bigger car with a newborn anyway. I have easily found a pushchair that fits in the boots with even some room to spare and I the maxi cosi cabriofix car seats fit so I'm getting one of those. Maybe when we have a second baby we'll think again but for now I think it's manageable.

If you can pay for a new car then I say get one but if you're reliant on your OH for it then it's between the two of you to decide.

I think you will be surprised how well you manage to be honest, especially once you're used to it. A passat or mondeo is a huge jump from a micra, in terms of cost of car, insurance, fuel cost etc. you're not unreasonable to want to speak to him about your concerns but neither do I think he is being unreasonable in saying no. I have 2 sisters, do my mum had 3kids under 4 years and managed with a wee tiny vauxhall nova including car seats, pushchairs... The old fashion kind for that matter as it was a number if years ago!
I'm sure you will be fine. Also don't forget that if you have a big journey to make. Have a lot to fit in the car, etc you could always rent a bigger one every now and again...it's cheap enough :)
Good luck, take care of you and bump

I have a ford KA and I'm not changing it. We can't afford to at this stage and I don't like the idea of driving a bigger car with a newborn anyway. I have easily found a pushchair that fits in the boots with even some room to spare and I the maxi cosi cabriofix car seats fit so I'm getting one of those. Maybe when we have a second baby we'll think again but for now I think it's manageable.

If you can pay for a new car then I say get one but if you're reliant on your OH for it then it's between the two of you to decide.

We're married, have one bank account and everything comes out of that. So yes technically I do have my own money but we both contribute to the account. So I would never ever just go and buy it without his consent.

I also wanted to add that we have his 8YR old son every second weekend and 1 night a week, (will be 2 nights in Jan) so all his out of school activities is my job to get him there and back considering hubby cant leave the village due to work and because of the nature of hubbys job I CAN't leave the baby with him even for 5 mins to go pick up my Step-son or drop him off, baby will have to be with me 24hours a day except the one day a week that hubby gets off.. He drives a 2seater van so my car is the "family transport".

I would have to agree with the other ladies who have said your car will be fine to start with. I don't really see a problem with having shopping in the back with the baby, especially if you consider putting bags in the rear footwells (so they can't roll about and hit anyone) or front passenger seat. If you had to fit 2 children in there then it would be a different matter, but I think one baby and you plus pram etc is perfectly fine. I've seen other people manage with a lot smaller and I'm sure the money could be put to much better use.

I would have to agree with the other ladies who have said your car will be fine to start with. I don't really see a problem with having shopping in the back with the baby, especially if you consider putting bags in the rear footwells (so they can't roll about and hit anyone) or front passenger seat. If you had to fit 2 children in there then it would be a different matter, but I think one baby and you plus pram etc is perfectly fine. I've seen other people manage with a lot smaller and I'm sure the money could be put to much better use.

I do have 2 children 26 weekends a year :)

We do too, but have 2 children Friday to Sunday every single weekend, plus school holidays, and collecting and dropping one of them off is a 50 odd mile round trip... We only have a small 3 door car but will manage. As other ladies have said a ka is manageable, it's just a case of adapting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->