Biggest waste of money...

I actually like the hooded bath towels and my 3 year old still uses hers haha! She loves the hood part!
I'd say buy big things such as Moses basket, bouncer chair etc in neutral as then you can keep it and use for next baby too. Moses basket doesn't always last very long so will get better use out of it using for following children also.
Didn't have changing table but used changing mat alot with a little blanket over it.
We got a huge box of things like baby powder, baby lotion, baby oil etc given when dd was born and didn't use most of it so still have it now!
Never used her cot set, only the fitted sheets.

I haven't read all the responses but I would say cot bedding was pointless. I read cot bumpers were dangerous and I'd spent money on 2 different sets of bedding and then never actually used them. Just always used fitted sheets and a cellular blanket.

Bumbo was another waste of money.

Changing table I had for DS2 but despite having a csection I still found it easier to change on the floor.

Found a baby bath pointless too.

I loved our change table we used it for every change! We just bought DS a new dresser to move the dresser: change table to the new baby room. I also loved our swing, only place my son would take naps with out me holding him. I also used the baby bath a lot lol our bath tubs are huge and our sink seemed too small. I loved my medela electric breast pump, but I had too many cheap bottles - this time I will invest in a few good ones instead of a bunch of cheap ones that leak.

I agree with the bedding not being necessary. Didn't use the bumper pads from the set, just the crib sheet, bed skirt and our son used the blanket when he was older.
I also suggest not buying many new born clothes, they don't last long!! And I found our high chair took up took up too much space, this time I will probably just get something that straps to the chair (but not needed until later). I really liked having an extra car seat base, one for each vehicle because it's quite a pain having to switch back and forth. I also agree about clothing.. Mostly Jammie's and onesies! All the other stuff is cute but not as comfy for baby, and shoes are not necessary!

My son's dresser has a removable changing table attachment on the top. We used that changing table for everything until he was potty trained.

Bedding can definitely be a waste of money. Thankfully, I never bought a full set, but I do have a crib comforter that has never been used. By the time my son was old enough to use it, he was in a twin size bed. Fitted sheets, a mattress cover, and swaddling blankets are all the bedding we ever needed.

For us, a bassinet would have been a waste of money. We borrowed one and after 3 weeks use, my son was in his crib. We hope to borrow another this go around.

My son never cared much for his swing, but thankfully that was a used freebie. We did get a lot of use out of the bouncer, though.

We used our baby tub for every bath until he was big enough to sit in the big tub by himself. Obviously, if you have a sink that will work, it can save you some money. We didn't.

Clothing size is something to consider. I'd have some newborn clothes on hand, but keep the tags attached just in case the baby is on the big side. I was expecting to have a big baby, like I was, but ended up with a tiny 5lb-er. I had to send my mom out to buy some NB sleepers because we didn't have enough to get through a week. My son wore them for almost three months. I have no idea what size to get my daughter, so I bought a small amount of multiple sizes. As mentioned, comfy clothes are a must for an infant. Save the complicated cutesy stuff and shoes for when they are older.

One total waste of money last time was our two cheap baby carriers/slings. First my son was too small for them. By the time he fit into them, they were too uncomfortable. This time I'm going to invest in a high quality one.

In general, it's a good idea to stay away from any trendy new gadget that is advertised and stick to the basics.

Bumbo - DD hated it so after a few tries I sold it on ebay.

Newborn clothes. Vests & sleepsuits were all she wore. Actual clothes I think she wore 2 or 3 times when we went out to visit someone. So many un-worn clothes were boxed up and put in the attic very quickly.

For a summer baby: hats, scratch mittens (babygros with built in mittens were better) and sleeping bags. My son was way too hot and didnt want to be covered. We used cellular blankets or muslins instead.

I also would say don't go mad on toiletries. It's a waste of space and we're still using what we were given 2yrs ago. Also don't buy loads if newborn clothes. Just have something for them to come home in and basics for a week. I found that newborn clothes were huge. My son was 8lbs but he was long and skinny and I didn't want him to wear a plain white babygro everyday so I gave them away.

the only big furniture items I'm getting is a swing and bouncer, I'm not getting a crib until she/he is 3/4 months because they don't sleep all night before that. I will be getting a diaper Genie, my mom had it with my little sister and it worked wonderfully. I will also get a sling so I can carry baby and have my hands free. I already have a TON of clothes from collecting baby dolls (both girl and boy) so I will pick up some bigger sizes since I mainly have newborn sizes, I might pick up some more newborn things, I need sleepers and stuff like that. My mom is giving us my sisters pack and play for when he/she needs to sleep near us and because we travel back and forth from GA to SC a lot. As for Diapers I'll probably pick up a few packs just to be sure baby is okay with the brand and that I like them as well. I think I'll get a bath but I'm not sure.

We didn't buy much as had a tight budget. The bouncer was pointless as my dd was high needs and I couldn't put her down so I sold it on.

A swing was a must as was the only place I could put her to get some hands free sleep. She was literally attached to me 24/7 so the 30 minutes nap in the swing was a much needed downtime for me. (OH works away so wasn't about much)

I've kept the swing for this one but hoping I have a more content placid one who may actually find a bouncer acceptable. In that case we'll sell it as soon as possible.

Bumbo was used and has been passed round both my brothers and we'll be getting it back for this one. We bought second hand so it's certainly been used beyond its cost.

The hooded towel were useful for first few months while trying to get round how best to dry and dress baby etc. Certainly not a must though.

A sling (moby wrap) was another must for me.

We bought a travel system. It was useful but tbh the pushchair is chunky and heavy and needs 2 hands so as soon as forward facing mode we switched to a more manoeuvrable one handed option which folds smaller. I feel bad not using it at all though this time as inlaws bought it all for us so it will get a few months use before we sell it on.

Waste for me was the ergo. He hated it when he was young and as he got older it wasn't comfortable. Barely even used it! Guess DH was right. :haha:

Bouncer also. Micah vastly preferred his swing and the bouncer just ended up being a place for him to rest while I showered!

Hats...made him sweaty and hardly used, even during the winter. Same for most jackets.

Pacifiers - tried every brand under the sun, he always preferred the breast. :haha:

Best things:
Jumperoo, as it is all he is obsessed with since...5-6 months?
Baby bath tub as our sink isn't big enough, even for a newborn. :dohh:
Easy swaddles - saved our lives many times.
SWING - CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH! Only relief from colic!
His little seahorse - he loved it as a small baby.
And even though many don't use them anymore, we love our bumper. We didn't put one in until he knew how to roll very well/sit up though. Wouldn't risk it before that.
Newborn clothing was a must. He stayed in them until nearly 3 months! He was a small 6 lb baby though. :flower:

I'm amazed how many people didnt like their travel system. I love my iCandy. I guess 1st time mums should really think before buying one to make sure it actually matches their needs, rather than get one they like. Ask yourself does it fit in your boot / through your front door / public transport? Can you manage to collapse it quickly? Do you know how to adjust the seat and put on the rain cover? What terrains will you need it for? What is the suspension and handling like? How long will it last? Can you pick it up and manoeuvre it on your own? How easy is it to clean or fix? I also would recommend not economising too much. Well looked after 'brand' pushchairs are easier to resell if that's something you want to do and should in theory be more robust.

We are due our (unplanned) third and have very little baby stuff from the others. Having done it twice and had two colicky reflux babies who wouldn't go in swings/bouncy chairs etc, my newborn list for this one is:

- bedside cot
- Connecta sling (already have)
- car seat
- clothing (onesies and vests)
- Bug in a rug (like a snowsuit)
- beanbag bed for downstairs (seriously, beanbags last time were a god send at other people's houses but we didn't have one and I couldn't justify the cost of one having bought everything else!)
- white noise (be it a toy, mobile phone with youtube etc)
- comforter (item of your clothing or teddy you've slept with)
- nappies (doing cloth this time)
- wipes
- nappy bin (or designated bin in house for nappies so not every room in the house stinks
- nappy bags
- changing mat (still have - actually have 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs and a spare baby changing bag with nappies, wipes, cream and bags downstairs with the mat so don't have to keep going upstairs)
- changing bag (still have)
- towels (still have)
- cot sheets and a waterproof mat for underneath!
- muslins (still have)

Later on I will get an activity mat and toys etc.

Glider chair for nursery.
When up late feeding I was in bed or on lounge watching tele. Not alone and bored in a quiet nursery!

Personally my biggest waste of money was our travel system! I discovered wraps once she was 3 weeks old and never used the buggy or pram! I sold it to my SIL! Won't be getting one this time. Just the car seat :)

a wipe warmer...and the bumbo seat.

Those were 2 things I never used and when I did I was dissatisfied. The wipe warmer is a breeding ground for bacteria. Ours grew something in the bottom and I just threw it out. I have chunky babies and they were never a fan of the bumbo. I think this depends on the baby. I gave the bumbo to my SIL for my nephew who had some special needs. He was a teeny baby and he loved the bumbo ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->