Birth control?

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
Nt sure the best place to put this!
When I had ds I was bf so we just used condoms till I stopped fb and I went on the pill. Our reasons were we didn't know exactly when we would start ttc but we knew it would b soonish and didn't want to wait for my body to sort it's self out too much after coming off. Anyway ere I am now about to give birth to ds2.. Me and oh have decided that we are unsure if we will have more but if we were we would b looking at 5 yrs + so am happy to go on a bc that's is more long term. I also plan on bf still and am hoping to bf longer. Is there a bc that can b used whilst bf that isn't condoms? What bc are u using now that u r not bf?
Any advice would b great!
Also to add me and oh are not comfortable with the withdrawal method and neither of us like condoms too much but will use condoms if they are our only option whilst I'm bf.
Thanks!!

Have you thought about the copper coil? I went back on the pill last week (baby is ff) but will be getting it in sometime soon when life isn't just so hectic!

I have switched to FF so I am back on the pill as that was what my contraception was before I TTC my son. We were thinking of trying for another in about 2-3 years so I'll be on it for some time before I'd need to come back off of it.
I have a feeling you can be on the mini pill when you're BF? Not sure why I think that, may have heard it somewhere so it would be worth asking. Other than that the coil would be a good option if you're not TTC for at least 5 years.

Your situation sounds just like us, I am having the copper coil refitted soon, no hormones so doesn't interfere with bf etc. It made my periods heavier to start with but they soon settled down. It's the best contraception I've been on.

You can take the mini pill bf, I didn't get on with it though, made my hair fall out, very moody and there is a much smaller window to take it. I don't get on well with artificial hormones though!

I have the copper coil iud with no hormones! It's amazing!!! Good for 5 years and u can bf because it has zero hormones so it's a non issue. I've tried everything on the Market and can't believe I didn't have the guts to try the coil sooner it's incredible!!!

I currently have the mini pill. You can have any progesterone only bc while BFing. You just can't have oestrogen. There's the mini pill, the implant, the injection, the mirena coil, or the copper coil just to name a few. I'd suggest going along to your local family planning clinic or just having a chat with your midwife. Your GP should discuss your bc options at your 6wk pp check anyway.

Copper Coil (10 yr life)
Intrauterine
No hormones
Can make periods heavier & more painful
Irritates the lining of uterus & makes hostile environment for implantation
Does not stop ovulation or conception (though copper environment makes it unlikely)

Mirena IUD (5 yr life)
Intrauterine
Contains Localised Progesterone
Can have hormonal side effects
Aims to stop ovulation & thin lining of uterus
Periods can either stop completely or become unpredictable
Can be removed and hormonal effects should stop quickly

Progesterone Only Pill (POP/Mini Pill) (Daily)
Oral Pill
Contains Progesterone (ingested)
Effects as Mirena
Stops instantly

Depo-Injection (12 week life)
Intramuscular injection
Contains Progesterone
Effects as Mirena
Once injected it cannot be removed from your system

Then there are condoms, Nuva-ring, patches & implanon implant (PO) etc though I have no experience with those.

Hope this helps xx

I have the Nexplanon implant it lasts 3 years and once its in you don't have to do anything

I went on the mini pill about 6 weeks pp as it is completely safe while breastfeeding. My doc did say that it is more sensitive, so the effectiveness decreases if you don't remember to take it within a 2 hour period. I set my phone alarm for the same time each day so as not to forget. I breastfed for over a year, all while on the mini pill and had no probs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->