Birth plans not accepted

PandaMao

Mom to 1
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of this? I went to my first appointment at my obgyn the other day, but just got around to reading information in the packet they gave me. My sister went to the same obgyn with both of her pregnancies, but nothing like that ever came up on conversation with her. I'm not sure how I feel about it actually. There are certain things I am ok with and certain things I am not. It says they are willing to work with us on most things but that a birth can't be scripted and would be bad medicine.

I wonder what kind of birth plans they have seen to make that rule? To me a birth plan is just a list of interventions I don't want or wishes I have about specific parts of the birth and not a step by step plan. Though here midwives are much more willing to go through birth plans than OBs generally. They also do less eye-rolling at things like "natural birth". Maybe you can write a list of things you find very important and bring it with you at your next appointment? Then you can discuss what you really want to have happen at your birth. I think as long as he knows you understand that births don't always follow the plan he will be more open to it?

Also I haven't ever had an actual written birth plan, yet have had 2 fabulous unmedicated births and plan the same with this one. As long as your primary care provider knows what you want and supports you then that's what you need. xo

I am in Ohio and had an obgyn I left that was horrible who had that rule. Are you in Central Ohio? Sounds similar to my experience. I switched to a mw mid pregnancy because I felt mine or my LO's health could be in danger from their mistakes.

Darlin, I'm near Cleveland so not the same practice. Only been there once, but I think everyone there was super helpful and nice so far. My sister went there for both of her pregnancies and had nothing but good things to say about them.

Sun, I'm not at a point yet where I was even thinking birth plan, but it just really surprised me when I read it in their info packet. It does really make you wonder about what they've had to deal with on the past to make that kind of rule necessary. My doctor seems super nice, so when the time comes I'm sure any requests within reason will be followed. Definitely a discussion we'll have at a future visit.

Tbh I can see their point. I've seen some people write pages and pages about everything they want/dont want to happen at their birth, including what music they want playing in the background. If things dont go to plan they can sometimes feel disappointed or let down.

If there are things you feel strongly about you should discuss it with your OB and make sure that they write it in your notes. Make sure that your partner is aware of them too so that he can speak up for you when you are in labour. But in general I think its better to go with the flow and dont really agree with birth plans.

Sounds a little odd, but I can see there point a bit, a birth plan is great if there are no problems, but if you wanted to stick to it even during a problem I can see something bad happening, I made a birth plan with LO, but I was quite open minded as you really don't know how labour and birth will go. I had originally said no to epidural and then in the end changed my mind, however they were quite nice about it and not once was it pushed on me til I gave the ok :thumbup:

I'm in the uk and they didn't do a birth plan as its bad practice apparently. I dunno though ive seen a reality show of pregnant women in the uk that know exactly what's going to happen. I never even seen the place i was giving birth in until i was there

Darlin, I'm near Cleveland so not the same practice. Only been there once, but I think everyone there was super helpful and nice so far. My sister went there for both of her pregnancies and had nothing but good things to say about them.

Sun, I'm not at a point yet where I was even thinking birth plan, but it just really surprised me when I read it in their info packet. It does really make you wonder about what they've had to deal with on the past to make that kind of rule necessary. My doctor seems super nice, so when the time comes I'm sure any requests within reason will be followed. Definitely a discussion we'll have at a future visit.

You would be surprised how specific birth plans can be; from requesting specific watt lighting, requesting sex to induce labor.... oh I could go on and on...

I Think birth plans should be allowed, but it is ultimately the physician responsibility to keep mom and baby healthy. I wonder if that particular physician had a bad baby or a bad outcome due to following a birth plan. ..

RunningMom, I don't know what happened, but it's not specific to my doctor. The practice I go to has four doctors and this was in the standard packet everyone gets.

Overall, I guess I'm not too bothered by it since i don't have many specific ideas on how birth should go. I don't want to be induced unless it's absolutely necessary. In the end I just want a healthy baby.

My birth plan was more like "lets do this, and do whatever we have to to get baby out healthy." My mom and husband were with me, my mom was like my coach, considering I didn't go to any lamaze or classes or anything. Got an epidural, had baby. She had breathing problems so was taken to the Nicu for a couple of hours. I didn't want any bottle feeding but they had to give her one until she was out, then she breastfed. But I know some ladies prefer to have everything written out to the very detail. Did you ask why they won't accept them?

Your post reminded me of this:

An OBs Birth Plan

Personally, I wouldn't write him off just yet but I wouldn't be happy. I can understand him not wanting to suit to everyones needs when it comes to lighting, music, candles etc ... but I'd want to know before hand that he'll respect my wishes. I would want to make sure sure that *I* and *my* body get given every chance to do this without intervention.

Sit down with him and talk it all over, make sure you're comfortable. There's always other options out there.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I went to my first appointment at my obgyn the other day, but just got around to reading information in the packet they gave me. My sister went to the same obgyn with both of her pregnancies, but nothing like that ever came up on conversation with her. I'm not sure how I feel about it actually. There are certain things I am ok with and certain things I am not. It says they are willing to work with us on most things but that a birth can't be scripted and would be bad medicine.

I have had three babies all in diff hosps and seen many different professionals due to complications and all say that birth plans (particularly for first time mums) can cause worry, upset and distraction as you never know what is going to happen in reality. Obviously it's wise to discuss options for possible complications with your birth partner but to write a whole plan isn't really realistic as u can't guarantee ,how or when the baby will arrive, good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->