Bit concerned about my wraps.

MidnightSun

Reaction score
I had some wraps delivered over the weekend but am now really concerned about them.

Most of them are newborn size or XS. I am planning on using them over muslins and then over small terries until I need to buy the next size up.

Well this morning I have tried them out on a teddy with just a nippa'd muslin and on nearly every single wrap there's a gap around the legs. Surely this means that all and sundry is going to leak out?!

Is this right or not? Or am I back to square one again! :wacko:

Well it means that if your teddy wees, yes it will leak. But do you know your teddy is the same size as your baby will be? :D

:winkwink:

I did think of that lol ... but some of the wraps have a gap at the top of the leg and others at the bottom and some just don't fit over a small terry at all and will only go over a muslin!

The only one I am really happy with is a Motherease Rikki in small, but it looks huge on my bear so can imagine it will swamp Rose when she's here.

Pffft I am confuzzled and have convinced myself they will all leak on a baby :nope:

I'd guess that the gaps in different places are because your teddy doesn't wriggle around. Different nappies are different shapes (which is why some suit some babies better than others) but once baby starts moving, the wrap will 'settle' around her legs properly. It's like clothes... when you put a top on, the sleeves don't always sit right around the top of your arm at first but they do once you wriggle around a bit.

The ones that don't fit over a terry could just be too small for the terry you have, or it could be to do with the teddy's shape which I don't think will be like a real baby. Babies bottoms are quite different to teddies so will make the nappy sit differently.

Do bear (oh, no pun intended!) in mind that even if the wrap sometimes has a slight gap somewhere, that doesn't mean it will leak. As you've chosen two part systems, you've really reduced that. The muslin or terry will catch any poo and for wee to leak, the nappy would have to be dripping wet and running down her legs, but you wouldn't want to leave her in that anyway.

Great advice thanks Rachel, guess it's all just a matter of wait and see really isn't it.

I'll get a couple more wraps for her for when she's first here (preloved as I know she won't be be in the small size for long) and will then get the BTP Thirsties and some Motherease for her when she's in terries.

Oh yes, a lady kindly sent me 6 terry/fleece boosters in with my terry squares, fabulous!!

Don't worry until bubs is here and you see what she's like in them. We did find motherease too big on a newborn, but it really does depend on your baby. I didn't find teddy,dolly or the cat a good representation of how the nappies were going to work really ;)

Haha! My cat weighs a stone and a half, so not too sure he'd be any good for me to practice on either :haha:

As above, but some wraps are better than others. Bambino Mio wraps are notoriously bad! Motherease/Popolini one are excellent (M.E & Popolini are the same, just manufactured in different countries - M.E in Canada, and PO in Austria, so it depends where you live which will be cheaper - getting the right label avoids paying import duty;) Natire Babies ones are also very reliable

Thanks for that love, I have a Popolini in there too and that seems to be okay.

I guess I will invest in a few more preloved's for newborn time like I said, and then by the time it comes to buying a bigger size I will hopefully know what's what.

On the other hand I had some terry squares delivered from CNT today and they are really hard and thin, really not keen on putting them on a delicate bottom. One lady has also send me a load of prefolds instead of terries!!

No idea what to do with those other than dust the front room lol ... I am guessing if I were to use a prefold that I would be changing the wrap along with the nappy every time? I could use them as night time terry square boosters?

with prefolds you dont always need to change the wrap if you google prefold folds then theres videos avalible on how to nippa them so they can be used the same way as a terry or flat just less folding required, on a newborn if you only pad folded them you would probably get poo leaks onto your wraps though

Funnily enough just been looking at some videos on You Tube and now doing a bit of research on them... I might give them a go actually, they are lovely and soft too.

Not too sure about the terries I have been sent - should they be very thin?

Some of the cheaper terries can be quite thin. Do you know what brand they are? To soften them you could try tumble drying them.

They are Mothercare and Junior Joy.

Putting them next to some terries that I already have though they are grey in colour!

I think I will abandon them and just invest in a new pack to go with the 10 I already have - any suggestions as to which ones? My Mum always goes on about Zorbit, but I can't seem to find them.

I suppose I could always use them as dusters lol

My Junior Joy ones (cheap as anything) have always been really good. Try washing them (with a little bit of detergent) and giving them a tumble dry, they might come up nicely. My older ones are a bit thin, but they still work brilliantly. Bamboo flats are always thinner than you think, and can get flatter if they're not washed properly. I don't like bamboo terries personally, but some people swear by them. If you think you won't use them as nappies, I'd get out my sewing machine and turn them into boosters, you'll always need boosters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->