Bit of a rant, competitive mums

Girls it drives me absolutely round the bloody bend. You know me, i will always snap back .. but to that comment i honestly don't know what to say, as he is behind :shrug:

The old trout!!!

aren't they supposed to say a couple words by one year??

Not that my bubs is talking but everyone develops differently. I personally love hearing news from my friends even if Isabella is not doing it yet. I think it's more sharing the exciting news than bragging :) It's not like we did it, they did it and the first couple years are so exciting, so many things are happening.

aren't they supposed to say a couple words by one year??

Not that my bubs is talking but everyone develops differently. I personally love hearing news from my friends even if Isabella is not doing it yet. I think it's more sharing the exciting news than bragging :) It's not like we did it, they did it and the first couple years are so exciting, so many things are happening.

No, it's more like they expect an 18 month old to be saying about 5 words.

Leni's been talking since 6 weeks :smug:

:lol:

Annoying isn't it. I have a family friend which we meet up with (my mum and I) every 2 weeks. Her baby is Leni are the same age. She is sooooo competitive, but in a malicious way? Always pointing o ut that Leni was premature so 'must be behind' :roll: OH FUCK OFF WOULD YOU!!

This really winds me up too! LO was 4 weeks early but has been hitting his milestones on track for a term baby so I'm really happy. I don't brag about it, if anything I keep quiet about it... but relatives and friends are ALWAYS saying "Oh my LO just started doing this and that? Is yours yet? Oh but actually I guess he'll do it late cos he was premature" - GRRR!

i dont mind hearing what other peoples babys have been doing...as long as they dont start COMPARING their LO to mine...they are two different babies, they arent lab clones, they wont do everything the same at the same time, not event wins manage that feat every step of the way so why on gods earth, would my LO be doing the EXACT thing your LO is at the EXACT AGE?!

my LO rolled over at 24 hours! it surprised the hell out of the doctor who was signing us out of the hospital...did LO do it on purpose no, did it make me laugh yes. does that mean im going to run around all the other maternity rooms asking everyone else if their baby did it because mine did....hell no!

Annoying isn't it. I have a family friend which we meet up with (my mum and I) every 2 weeks. Her baby is Leni are the same age. She is sooooo competitive, but in a malicious way? Always pointing o ut that Leni was premature so 'must be behind' :roll: OH FUCK OFF WOULD YOU!!

One day, Leni will do something before your friend's baby! I'm too tired to think up a witty comment you could say though :)

He'll get a girlfriend first, because he won't be a coddled momma's boy who looks to his mother seeking her approval in every little thing he does and hold every woman up to the same impossible standard.

I know! I've always got friends saying their 6,7,8 month old said their first word .. no, they didn't they are babbling consonant sounds "ma ma, da da, pa pa , etc ) and it SOUNDS like a word to you . they don't understand its just babbling noises. To me that is NOT talking.

I even had a girl I know tell me that her 8 month old said "Apple, please" .. i find that haaaard to believe.

It isn't just talking either!

For some people EVERYTHING is a competion.
Some recent conversations have gone like this.

Them: Is Daniel rolling yet?
Me: No. he rolled from tummy to back the other day, but the look on his face told me it was an accident and he has never done it since.
Them: How old is he?
Me: 7 months
Them: Oh - well MY Tommy was rolling at 4 months
Me: thats nice.
Them: Is he teething?
Me: I hope so - he has been a little cranky
Them: How many teeth does he have now?
Me: errrrr - none
Them: Really?? well MY Tommy started teething at 3 months.
Me: Well, I expect they will come through soon.
Them: How much does he weigh now?
Me: well, he was just over 15lb last time I got him weighed.
Them: so what percentile is that?
Me: 2nd
Them: Crikey - thats really small. MY Tommy is perfectly following the 25th.
Me: so he is stunningly average then?

and on and on and on.
It gets very boring.

LMAO!

Uhm isn't that him sitting up in your avatar? Doesn't seem "behind" to me at all. She's obviously using her child's milestones as some sort of measure of her superior mothering skills :dohh:

Well... my baby can drive. She just stands right there in the seat and yells and anyone who gets in her way! How does she reach the pedals you ask? Well she's SO advanced that she has hired another baby to get down there to operate the pedals and since they can both talk she just tells him what to do!
Since she's so advanced we've gone ahead and sent her off to work too, she can round up cows and groom horses, shear sheeps, everything.

I'm just enjoying the time that she is a baby, the best part is watching her grow and develop, there's no reason to exaggerate or rush it away. I love her babbles, the way she calls everything DA or dada and yells it so deliberately like she knows what she's talking about is so funny. It'll be cute when she can talk too, but for now I'm loving babbles!

i went to a baby group a total of 2 times with ds before realising it was for the mums to bitch, moan and brag not the kids, so i let him make his own friends. haven't been to one yet with kitty either, might shop around for a nice one but the women drive me nuts!

personally, i think the only reason you would feel offended is if you have insecurities about your LO's development. no one is trying to make you feel bad. have pride and confidence in your parenting and LO and then you will be happy to hear about other babies' accomplishments.

personally, i think the only reason you would feel offended is if you have insecurities about your LO's development. no one is trying to make you feel bad. have pride and confidence in your parenting and LO and then you will be happy to hear about other babies' accomplishments.

People are not saying that though, we're talking about people who are mistakenly saying their LO is talking when they're just babbling, etc.

all you lot can naff off my baby has already been married and divorced and her credit rating is shot or she'd borrow to get her tattoo removed.

lets embrace our babies being babies not compete to have them age.

:rofl: I think it's entirely possible that there are a few rare babies who actually know 1-2 words at 8 months same as there are a few rare babies who can walk at 8 months. It doesn't bother me at all if someone claims their baby is hitting some milestone or another because I know that my baby is developing just perfectly.

BTW - My baby is so advanced he can drink beer better than any other baby. He's got a high alcohol tolerance too. Also, just last week, he started levitating. I expect he's not talking yet because he's actually telepathic. ;)

My mom's friend's grandson was taken to French lessons at about 18 months - poor thing! He hadn't got much more than a basic grasp of English at that point. Why can't people enjoy their baby being a baby - they've got the rest of their life for learning. I know children in bi-lingual households learn 2 languages but that's at home and not forced. He's probably got a column in Le Figaro by now (he's about 4!!). I get that people are proud of their children but trying to make someone else feel that their lo is somehow 'behind' is unacceptable. Anyway must go - my 3 month old is calling me in Italian!!

Lmaoooo at the beer chuggers and ciao bella!

My DS started talking meaning it a 8 months & it wasnt only babbling. Some babies are early talkers. He was saying bye while waving bye & going towards the door in his walker, so he meant going out & knew it's meaning. He was also calling his dad "pappa" & only his dad, & was saying num num for food & bottles. All at 8 months. Now at 14 months he says around 50 words meaning them (a mix of English, Arabic & some baby talk), he's also talking using 2 words sentences, & counting to 3. He doesnt even babble without meaning, he only says real words meaning them. He also knows few words from Arabic songs, & he completes the words when I sing for him. He's aslo soo good with signing although I'm not taking it too seriously.

He started meanless double babbling (dadda, tatta, nanna, etc) at 6 months, & that was babbling only.

I'm sorry about the long post, but if someone's LO is not talking at 8-9 months it doesnt mean all LOs cant talk at this age.

Mine cant feed himself solids or hold his bottles, & he cant self settle at night without me being in the room & sometimes cuddling him. But I dont feel inscure because of it.

There is a thread about early crawlers at 4-5 months, many threads about early walkers, & sooo many threads about babies picking up food & feeding themselves at 6 months.

Babies are different, & every mum has the right to be proud about the acheivements of her LO regardless if it's talking, eating, crawling sleeping through or walking.

It's natural for a mum to talk non stop about her LO's acheivements, it's a real shame if we cant talk freely with other mums about our LOs's acheivements because some mums are insecure.

People are not saying that though, we're talking about people who are mistakenly saying their LO is talking when they're just babbling, etc.

i guess i just think that's sweet. my LO has barely been able to reach something and grab it... she misses 9 out of ten times, but for the one time she gets it you better believe it means i'm saying "she can grab things now" i'm so excited is all. i'll probably do the same w/ talking. no one expects anyone to actually believe that their 1 year old is holding a conversation. right?

Ug, I get this all the time. Ellie was commando crawling at 6 months and proper crawling and cruising furniture at 7 months. I'm proud of course, but no prouder than if she'd done these things later. She's petite for her age and many people comment that they think she's 6 months, so I suppose it shocks them when she just pulls to her feet so easily and cruises around.

But I almost can't bare our weekly cradle club because all I get is, "she's too small to do that", "mine didn't crawl until he was 10 months", "well, mine can't crawl, but he can sit really well" etc and the best of all this week, "did you do anything to make her crawl early??". What could I have possibly done?!

I just wanna talk about movies, and drink a cup of tea. I don't want to talk about Ellie! (Much as I love her).

It isn't just talking either!

For some people EVERYTHING is a competion.
Some recent conversations have gone like this.

Them: Is Daniel rolling yet?
Me: No. he rolled from tummy to back the other day, but the look on his face told me it was an accident and he has never done it since.
Them: How old is he?
Me: 7 months
Them: Oh - well MY Tommy was rolling at 4 months
Me: thats nice.
Them: Is he teething?
Me: I hope so - he has been a little cranky
Them: How many teeth does he have now?
Me: errrrr - none
Them: Really?? well MY Tommy started teething at 3 months.
Me: Well, I expect they will come through soon.
Them: How much does he weigh now?
Me: well, he was just over 15lb last time I got him weighed.
Them: so what percentile is that?
Me: 2nd
Them: Crikey - thats really small. MY Tommy is perfectly following the 25th.
Me: so he is stunningly average then?

and on and on and on.
It gets very boring.

LMAO!

Uhm isn't that him sitting up in your avatar? Doesn't seem "behind" to me at all. She's obviously using her child's milestones as some sort of measure of her superior mothering skills :dohh:

Oh tell me about it, she's a moody old trout :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->