BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

yep...i much prefer the runny, yellow, not smelly ones...even if they did escape the nappy from time to time :p

eerrugghh tell me about it!

Eden done a poo at 5am this morning! shes never pooed in the middle of the night except when she was newborn:wacko:

and shes only eaten toast :shrug:

i was gonna ask about mushrooms, can they have them? and are there certain types to avoid?

ive just bought the BLW book of someone on here so hopefully i wont have to ask so many questions once it arrives :dohh:

i haven't heard anything abt mushrooms being a prob. From what i understood of BLW everythings ok as long as its not processed and full of salt/sugar/aspartamine etc...everything natural is fine with the exception of honey until 1 yr. As for avoiding other certain things like wheat or eggs etc i thinks thats more of a personal choice based of whether certain allergies r in the family...am i right?

i'm going for pretty much an 'anything natural and/ or what i would consider healthy is fine' approach.

with mushrooms you have to make sure they are very very clean, as they can carry bacteria from the way they are grown. Most people do them from 6 months, but just take extra care with cooking them etc. :)

Omg -- the smell from the nappies is the worst EVER. :sick: After being a zookeeper for so many years I was sure nothing could turn my stomach anymore. I was very very wrong. :dohh:

Now officially dreading proper poop nappies!!

Today went well after our crying episode yesterday. He had lots of pear this morning for breakfast and kept asking for more. He managed about half of each slice but then what was left was too small and slippery for him!

At lunch I met some friends and had lamb burger and chips (they were proper bits of potato really with skin and stuff) G had the following frommy plate; roast pepper (loved it, I hardly got any), 2 chips, lettuce and some tomato. This evening dh gave him the crust from his toast and he Ate the lot - nothing left no matter how hard I searched !!!

So how did everyone do yogurt in the beginning? I found some yummy organic baby yogurt made with whole milk. Otter was really into it, but having a terrible time. I tried the loaded spoon, but he couldn't get enough into his mouth to please him, so wanted the container instead. I handed that to him, but he couldn't work out how to get it out. It ended up dumped on his tray and in his lap. Which meant it ended up as paint! :dohh:

when you give fruit...say pear or something..do you leave the skin on? Think it says to in the book..but can't find it right now and was getting a bit puzzled..seems like most people say to peel things for babies..but obvs this isn't traditional weaning...and if you do, it doesn't get stuck in their throat or anything right?!!! I'm pretty useless at this whole thing!

Fantastica..i dont peel...Daisy either peels herself and just kinda pulls flesh off whatever it is and leaves the skin or just eats the whole lot !!! (mostly she eats the lot) LOL dont worry about choking on the skin hun....they have the necessary reflexes to deal with it and if it doesnt go the right way they will gag and sort themselves out.

TL we do the loaded spoon but also try giving it with fruit..that way they can pick up the fruit and it has the yoghurt on it :) we did this for lunch today and daisy ate LOADS :D she was LOVING it !!!

we had Mince and Tatties for dinner today, i was expecting an absolute nightmare as she has been difficult with things that are hard to handle but........... she LOVED IT and ate LOADS!!!!!!! i was well impressed!!! i took before and after pics and a vid, tho will upload later as its getting late and i'm sleepy !!!!

sara

xxxxxx

I leave the peels on anything I can -- pears, apples, etc. There is more nutrients in the peel anyway. :thumbup:

I leave the peel on G's pear and he eats the flesh but if he does get a piece of peel spits it out!

We were eating dinner tonight and I had given Otter a couple of dried prunes in addition to the rest of his stuff. Caveman and I were chatting away, so I wasn't watching Otter for a minute or two.

I look over and Otter is just sorta looking at me, chewing with his mouth closed. Then I realize I can't see either prune! I start looking everywhere.... surely the dropped?? Caveman asked what I was doing -- I told him... Caveman said, they are in his mouth. :shock: I look up and sure enough, he had both in his mouth!!! :rofl:

Basically he sucked and gummed all the good stuff out then spit the shells back out. :haha:

Wow, well done Otter! Ruby does a similar thing to that with cherry tomatoes, she stuffs them in her mouth, chews them for ages then spits out the skins.

Right well I've discovered that Ruby will eat anything - as long as it's on toast, doh. Now she is definitely eating to fill herself up, not just for play, I can hardly stop offering toast to encourage her to eat other stuff, so I'm going to offer toast and other foods at the same time. She will eat a few other thing not on toast, like she wolfs down sweet potato wedges, but mostly she doesn't eat much quantity wise unless it's something on toast.

Do you lot think I'm doing the right thing, or shall I stop offering so much toast? (usually only has 1 slice, sometimes 2, a day)

Well done Otter! Olivia wont eat the skins on things she always eats around them lol.

I personally would keep offering the toast, Olivia has a slice a day either offered at breakfast or with lunch though she never eats a full slice. As long as they get offered a varied diet, a slice of bread wont hurt.

Hiya! Don't think I've posted much on here since we have actually started, but we are now a month in and its going fabulously! She will pretty much eat anything, and last night she destroyed quite a large bowlful of home made spaghetti bolognaise! I just snapped the spaghetti into 4 lengthways then cooked it and gave it her mixed with the sauce, and she grabbed handfulls of it and sucked it into her mouth! It was so funny. I was convinced that there was going to be tonnes of it all over her lap and on the floor, but there was barely anything! I just kept putting the bits she dropped on the tray back into her magic bowl and she helped herself from there. I was worried about spaghetti at first, but she dealt with it really well. It makes you so proud doesn't it?!??!

Claire, I would say that if she is enjoying the toast, don't stop it entirely, but maybe look at when you are having things on toast and offer it when you have it so she gets used to the idea that you don't have toast all the time. Maybe try things that are a little bit toast or bread like to change things around a bit like crumpets/ricecakes/pitta pockets that kind of thing? :hugs:

Yeah I've just bought some crumpets actually, that's a good idea!

Sounds like Olivia is doing great. I think Ruby is missing the 'scoop action', which is why she will only eat finger food type foods. More practice is obviously needed...

I've not posted a lot recently as my laptop died :cry: I killed it :blush:

We're going well with BLW, he's really getting good at holding food, he's almost there with the pincer grab. He's been having alpro soya natural yogurt with banana chunks in it, I'v been preloading the spoon and he sucks it off the spoon and can pick up the banana chunks :yipee: I have a really good video of him doing it but my new laptop isn't here till wed 20th :(

We leave the skin on fruit too - she'll leave whatever she doesn't want.

TL, we do yogurt with the loaded spoon and she seems happy enough doing it that way so can't help I'm afraid! I know in the bible it does say about letting them use fingers but I can't see how they're meant to eat it like that :dohh:

Does anyone know anything about 'organic sugar'? I was looking at some different yogurts (some organic ones) and the third or fourth ingrediant listed was 'organic sugar' - if that's just as bad as normal sugar then there's little point getting them instead as they seem to have just as much sugar as the ones we currently get.. Just don't know whether 'organic sugar' actually means anything lol

sugar is sugar as far as i'm aware. ok so unrefined kinds might be better but they're still a source of empty calories and still rot your teeth :(
I give Ruby plain yog with fruit spread stirred in, and I prefer this myself to flavoured yoghurts actually...

I was going to try plain yoghurt with fruit stirred in too as an alternative to the flavoured ones.

Claire, I'd also say keep giving the toast, it's not as though she's eating too much of it or anything. We also offer crumpets etc too so she doesn't have bread everyday but it's not a problem if she does.

Babyshambelle, congratulations!! :happydance:

Had Aisling weighed today and since starting BLW, Aisling's weight has gone from the 25th percentile to about 40th from the look of it, all on BLW - that'll show people who say LOs don't eat enough unless they're spoonfed purees! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->