BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I was at my Mums for a bit - it was awful! Try explaining BLW to a women who had four kids as was giving up all baby rice in our bottles at 3 months!

One thing I noticed though, is people act so wounded when you say you aren't giving jars, like their way must be wrong or bad. It's just our personal choice what we feed our own children!

So lots of comments about how she must be starving, and such a shame to tease her with food (she was eating a full slice of toast, half an organic natural yogurt and fruit each day plus milk). I was being told it's not working as she still needs the same amount of milk, but no one would listen that of course she does, as she's just started!

So went to Boots and got dragged to the baby food aisle and told that she would be getting some jars as I was being cruel. Threw my teddies out big style! We managed to compromise on porridge for her :dohh:

My MIL thinks it's all new age hippy stuff too, but at least she read up on it online so is trying to see where I am coming from with this.

So, glad to be home now! :)

btw, what do you guys do for lunch and snacks when you're out and about? I prefer to take things with me for Niamh as where I'm eating isn't always great and I am not a fan of reformed chicken nuggets, chips and beans as one of the only kids meals available :sick:

Oh, and strawberries are Niamh's new favourite food :lol:

I always chuck in some breadsticks and fruit - usually a banana. :)

I was at my Mums for a bit - it was awful! Try explaining BLW to a women who had four kids as was giving up all baby rice in our bottles at 3 months!

One thing I noticed though, is people act so wounded when you say you aren't giving jars, like their way must be wrong or bad. It's just our personal choice what we feed our own children!

So lots of comments about how she must be starving, and such a shame to tease her with food (she was eating a full slice of toast, half an organic natural yogurt and fruit each day plus milk). I was being told it's not working as she still needs the same amount of milk, but no one would listen that of course she does, as she's just started!

So went to Boots and got dragged to the baby food aisle and told that she would be getting some jars as I was being cruel. Threw my teddies out big style! We managed to compromise on porridge for her :dohh:

My MIL thinks it's all new age hippy stuff too, but at least she read up on it online so is trying to see where I am coming from with this.

So, glad to be home now! :)

btw, what do you guys do for lunch and snacks when you're out and about? I prefer to take things with me for Niamh as where I'm eating isn't always great and I am not a fan of reformed chicken nuggets, chips and beans as one of the only kids meals available :sick:

Our mum never fails to amaze me with her traditional ways! Thats nice of your MIL to do a bit of background reading to understand it.

My MIL looked at me as if I was mad. My OH was fed baby rice from 9 weeks. I felt like telling her "yeah and hes got really bad stomach problems and food intolerances" but I just smiled sweetly. I cant wait to get started and prove them all wrong. My mums the only supportive one, my dad thinks Im incapable Im sure.

Does anyone else's LO just throw all the food on the floor and not even put it in their mouths or is it just mine? I'm so frustrated at the moment - he wont take anything but yoghurt off a spoon and throws all of his finger food on the floor! Any suggestions or is he still going to be drinking milk at 1! He's 7 months old if that's any help.

This thread has gone a bit crazy! And it's a sticky :happydance: whoop whoop!!! I asked ages ago too Sparks. Glad it's here now though.

Sounds like everyone is getting on great! Hebe obviously enjoys her food. Rebecca sounds like she's enjoying things too. Good luck with the op for your cheeky monkey. Please keep us updated or we'll worry. Hope you manage to cope with your blw while your in there. Sounds like you're going well prepared though!

Not much to report from Oliver really. Still going strong with his food. He hasn't really gone off it with this hot weather. Just drinking more milk on top of it. He'll be the size of a house by the end of this heatwave :dohh:!!!

I always chuck in some breadsticks and fruit - usually a banana. :)

i take same as Lisa plus some sticks of cheese as i have a tiny cool bag that came with my breast pump and also a pack of organix orange rusks, i sometimes give Fred half of one of those to chew on xx

I know how you feel today Rach. Hebe has refused all her tea - first she screamed at it them she swiped it all off on to the floor....Merv was delighted! I dont know of its the heat or she's getting ill. I wasa going to post here and say she's regressing but when I got her out of her chair I've noticed a rash covering a lot of her body :(

LO has a really snotty cold at the moment which is obviously affecting his appetite - I even tried one of those carrot wotsit things are that got thrown on the floor as well. I will try again when he's feeling better - but i bet the little sod would polish off a pot of yoghurt!

Hope Hebe is better soon Mervs Mum and that your LO does too Rach.

I'm just popping in as I'm getting all excited about weaning!!! I'm waiting til 6 months but I'm reading about it now.

x

:rofl: New age hippy stuff. My mom thinks pretty much the same though I'm not full on BLW 90% of what Hannah gets are finger foods and though she's had the odd jar here and there (mostly trying to get rid of them now) she mostly eats things I make.

I've been told several times that I'm going to give her an upset tummy :rofl:

OK OK so the other reason we might be off our food is because on top of his cold he is cutting tooth number 3! Can see it through the gum but its not popped through yet - that will explain the loss of appetite!! D'oh! Hope everyone else's LO's are doing ok.

Evening Girls! :hi:

Thought I'd finally come in here and say hello as I decided ages ago that I wanted to go with BLW when Deri was ready!

I've been sneaking in and reading every now and again too! :baby: I love reading to see how the LO's are doing!

I'm halfway through 'THE BLW BIBLE' and think it's such a brilliant thing....we bought a highchair at the weekend and last night and tonight have put Deri in it with us at dinner and put food on his tray for him to explore (I know he's only just coming up 5 months but I thought it might be a good idea to let him 'play' this early and see how it went).

Last night we gave him carrots and broccoli - he seemed to love it. He concentrated on trying to pick the broccoli up for ages and decided in the end to move his head to his hand to get the food to his mouth. Very amusing to watch! I didn't intend for him to actually eat anything but just to watch this space and let him explore!!

Tonight he had cucumber and pepper but was tired from a busy day so was grizzly and didn't last long in the highchair so will try again tomorrow!

I've not been cooking seperately for him, just give him what I feel is suitable for his age until he's 6 months.

There's more I could waffle on about but I'll leave it at that for now as I'm sure I'm probably boring you all :dohh: I'm just SOOOOO excited about BLW...think OH is getting a bit fed up of me going on about it!!!!!

So anyway....I'll try and keep up withi this thread for support and inspiration!

x

*Edit* You girls and your LO's are doing great! Hope all your LO's are doing ok in the heat too *hugs*

:wave:

Look forward to hearing Deri's progress!! :D

x

Can't wait to hear Deri's progress reports. You remind me of me - I drove hubby mad with my excitment of it all! Still do now a bit, I think!

Good luck babes - it is such good fun!

Just another quick update from the world of Oliver!

We had bolognaise sauce in jacket spuds for tea. Oliver loved it so much! He was picking the little bits of mince beef up, with his new pincer technique. So cute! I also gave him avocado for the first time - not sure why he hasn't had this before?! he loved that too.
In fact, why don't I save typing time and space and just say he loves everything he tries and will continue to do so!!!!:cloud9:

Thanks Lisa - will update as much as I can! How is Hebe feeling now? Is she eating any better?

Kat - thanks! I've been excited at the idea of BLW for ages and am even more excited now we're almost there!!! :happydance: Yes, OH probably gets fed up of hearing about it but I really believe it's the way to go....glad to hear I'm not the only one! How is Oliver doing?

x

*Edit* Kat you must've been typing that as I was asking - glad to hear all is well in the world of Oliver!

Dont you just love the fact that everyone that follows BLW is so excited about weaning and their los love everything they try. Theres no threads of 'hes stopped eating' 'he wont eat this or that'. Its great! Im excited too Laurie, Meadows 11 days younger than Deri so we should be starting at the same time.

I could have done a few 'She's redecorating the kitchen AGAIN' threads.....:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->