BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

How often do babies choke? That's what I am most scared about.

choking is really rare, but it's very common for babies to gag a bit when they first start out, with both BLW & TW. It can be pretty scary to see at first, but I think it bothers us more than it bother them.

Jacob uses to gag really badly at the beginning but it soon passes once they learn how to move the food around in their mouth. TW babies gag too but it maybe just happens a bit later than it does with BLW and BLW babies tend to learn how to control it quicker.

FLorabean - Jacob dips weird things in yoghurt too, like pasta or bread!!

Does anyone have any easy meat ideas? I don't get the time to cook proper meals very often so LO has mostly had cheese, peanut butter or houmous for his protein.

Does anyone have any easy meat ideas? I don't get the time to cook proper meals very often so LO has mostly had cheese, peanut butter or houmous for his protein.

Ruby loves meat!

I make a simple chicken curry (onion, chicken, curry paste, tinned toms, any veg and a bit of natural yoghurt) I serve with rice and / or naan bread

Casseroles - take time but not in the prep, just a few minutes chopping then let it simmer until it's cooked

Roast a chicken (again, time in the oven but very little prep) and the leftovers are good for sandwiches, in pasta dishes etc

Meatballs and burgers are very easy and quick to make (and also to make in bulk and freeze)

How often do babies choke? That's what I am most scared about.

Very very rarely, and BLW babies are least likely to choke of all, as they start feeding themselves solid pieces of food while their gag reflex is still very close to the front of the mouth, which gives more protection.

Ruby has never choked (I once thought she was at about 9 months but luckily my friend who BLW her older child was there and she was adamant it was a gag!) Loads of mums think their LO is choking but it's a gag. Choking is silent as their airway is at least partially obstructed. If LO is coughing etc they are NOT choking.

just a question about BLW
is LO feeding themselves puree of a spoon counted as BLW or not ? im sure i read somwhere that it is but im really confused LOL!
i give him finger foods and hes really taken to it and feeds himself fine with the spoon
(i put the food on give it to him and he eats)

BLW is much more than just finger food & purees. It's about offering the baby regular, healthy meals that the whole family can enjoy; babies get to experience a huge range of tastes and textures. If the family are all eating purees then I guess it would be but IMO letting the baby control the spoon for purees is not BLW.
My LO has had purees on occassion but only as part of a meal we all have; for instance fruit purée with Greek yoghurt or a pea purée we had with posh fish n chips in a restaurant.

As for meat - I make a big batch of bolognese sauce & freeze portions - serve with either pasta, mash or baked potato usually.

I agree with Jo, giving food that would not normally be pureed for an adult is not BLW.
It's obviously great to allow LO to control the spoon if the want to when you are doing purees, but it isn't BLW.

I'm thinking of switching. We did TW (for LO's reflux, just some banana) and moved on to other things, but he really just doesn't care! No interest in food.Might as well let him tell ME when he's ready. OH disagrees so it's a bit of a battle. Any literature I can show him, aside from the BLW book? Anything online?

Not sure about online stuff about BLW, what is your OH's objection? When you say LO is not interested, does that mean he is not eating the pureed food? In which case it would seem there is nothing to lose by switching to BLW.I must say that kept me going when Ruby was not interested in food until 7.5 months - I knew that Ruby would not accept being spoonfed anyway so she wouldn't be eating any more that way!

Not sure about online stuff about BLW, what is your OH's objection? When you say LO is not interested, does that mean he is not eating the pureed food? In which case it would seem there is nothing to lose by switching to BLW.I must say that kept me going when Ruby was not interested in food until 7.5 months - I knew that Ruby would not accept being spoonfed anyway so she wouldn't be eating any more that way!

Hi,

His objection is the typical - that it's weird and MIL keeps asking about rice cereal, puree etc (I know, I know - unique story?? LOL). He seems to think that the kid is going to starve without his mashed apple. He doesn't understand that a baby can live at 6 months on milk.

Ah right. No I'd never heard of that before from a MIL, haha.

Hmm. He might just have to be 'proved' wrong, that is often the case with BLW doubters...

Ruby loves meat!

I make a simple chicken curry (onion, chicken, curry paste, tinned toms, any veg and a bit of natural yoghurt) I serve with rice and / or naan bread

Casseroles - take time but not in the prep, just a few minutes chopping then let it simmer until it's cooked

Roast a chicken (again, time in the oven but very little prep) and the leftovers are good for sandwiches, in pasta dishes etc

Meatballs and burgers are very easy and quick to make (and also to make in bulk and freeze)

I've done a few stews that he's tried and I do cook curry, but I'll have to tone down the heat for LO as we like it hot :haha:

Would you believe I've never roasted a chicken?? I was vegetarian for a lot of years and I'm still squeamish about meat that's in animal shape!

Meatballs is a good idea and I know OH would love them too, so might give that a try.

Still, it would be great if you could buy cooked meat that wasn't packed with salt and other nasties for those times when I don't have anything made.

Ruby loves meat!

I've done a few stews that he's tried and I do cook curry, but I'll have to tone down the heat for LO as we like it hot :haha:

Would you believe I've never roasted a chicken?? I was vegetarian for a lot of years and I'm still squeamish about meat that's in animal shape!

Meatballs is a good idea and I know OH would love them too, so might give that a try.

Still, it would be great if you could buy cooked meat that wasn't packed with salt and other nasties for those times when I don't have anything made.

You can make up things like meatballs and chicken nuggets yourself in big batches them freeze them in smaller portions for quick meals.

you can buy spit roasted chickens hot from most large supermarkets hun and as your in NC then you should be able to find one that does them.

fish is easy just get fillets then poach them in milk or water or steam them in a steam bag in the microwave and flake into chunks for LO or you can mix it through a vege dish or pasta

Hi all, i know its early but can some one point me in the direction of a good site or book for BLW. Im not sure if it is for us yet but i want to have a look into it.

Hi all, i know its early but can some one point me in the direction of a good site or book for BLW. Im not sure if it is for us yet but i want to have a look into it.

"Baby Led Weaning" by Gil Rapley is the main book I know of.

As for websites, I actually would say BnB!!! There are others that explain it, but the book and this site cover everything I would say! :thumbup:

I have officially swayed OH to BLW! Whooo hoo. Pleased for this. My LO has no interest in solids, reacts badly to rice cereal, and I'm tired of people pressuring me to shove a jar of "spaghetti & meatballs" into his mouth when he doesn't seem to want it. Besides, I love to cook proper meals for all of us and we love to have him join.

Off to get Rapley's book when he wakes up

I have officially swayed OH to BLW! Whooo hoo. Pleased for this. My LO has no interest in solids, reacts badly to rice cereal, and I'm tired of people pressuring me to shove a jar of "spaghetti & meatballs" into his mouth when he doesn't seem to want it. Besides, I love to cook proper meals for all of us and we love to have him join.

Off to get Rapley's book when he wakes up

My LO was not ready for solids until 7.5 months... But once he started he got into t really fast. It is amazing how fast they learn. People around me went from harassing me about how he needs baby rice to bragging about all the things he was eating!!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->