BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I should say, one thing that has helped us loads was teaching him to sign "eat" and "drink". Now, if he is hungry or thirsty he will come up to us and sign for what he wants. So, if he hasn't eaten meals well and asks for snack by signing eat, I will give him a healthy one (usually fruit). He also knows the sign/word for cracker and will ask for that when he wants a snack. :thumbup:

That way I feel less worried if he doesn't eat a meal. I know he'll ask for something if he gets hungry. And I pretty much let him go with it. As long as he eats mostly healthy stuff for meals and snacks, I don't mind him snacking alot. Especially when he is in a growth spurt. He wants to snack CONSTANTLY then.

"snack" was one of Sophia's very first words :haha:
She says snack and goes into the kitchen and you can hear her shouting snack snack snack as she bangs the cupboard door (it has a baby lock on it) open and shut! So I always know if she is hungery :haha:

oooh, harry points & says 'Nak' for snacks at least 10 times a day, lol--- pretty much whenever I go to the kitchen! :rofl:

G is another one - almost as soon as he sits in his highchair, then again when he's "all done" and at regular intervals thru the day we get shouts of "brais, brais" (raisins) or a little less offten "breeees" (berries)

I don't always give them though as they are very sweet so if it's mealtime I tend to say none left!

I took him in a health food shop the other day - he was ridiculously over excited by the dried fruit displayed!! Shouting louder and louder " brais, dats, apcots... " as he made valiant efforts to escape his pram and eat the display! :blush:

G is another one - almost as soon as he sits in his highchair, then again when he's "all done" and at regular intervals thru the day we get shouts of "brais, brais" (raisins) or a little less offten "breeees" (berries)

I don't always give them though as they are very sweet so if it's mealtime I tend to say none left!

I took him in a health food shop the other day - he was ridiculously over excited by the dried fruit displayed!! Shouting louder and louder " brais, dats, apcots... " as he made valiant efforts to escape his pram and eat the display! :blush:

:rofl: Well I guess it's better than going mad at the sweet counter!

Awww they're so cute. Culann just hangs off me going 'nom nom nom nom' until I give him something to eat :rofl:

Darwinian Dentist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All!

I am a pediatric dentist/nutritionist (a.k.a. Darwinian Dentist/Darwinian Dietitian) interested in the evolutionary basis for relatively recent appearance of present day problems associated with unhealthy eating practices...like obesity, diabetes, tooth decay/gum disease and malocclusion (narrow jaws/crooked teeth). Without belaboring and boring you with details of my ongoing research, suffice it to say, I am thoroughly convinced that lack of prolonged breastfeeding (i.e., beyond 12-18+ mos), and weaning directly to mushy/pureed food (rather than firmer-textured "baby" food), sets a child up for many dental and general/overall health problems later in their lives. I need input from as many moms/mums, and from as many different countries as possible, over the next 6 months regarding how long you are able to breastfeed your babies, and most importantly, when do you eventually wean to firm-textured foods.

Can someone explain to me what "BLW" means per the comment from Tacey in April, 2010, "We're doing BLW so she had food as is from the outset. I think when you TW 6-7 months is the time to introduce lumpy food."

Thanks

Dr. Kev

Darwinian Dentist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello All!

I am a pediatric dentist/nutritionist (a.k.a. Darwinian Dentist/Darwinian Dietitian) interested in the evolutionary basis for relatively recent appearance of present day problems associated with unhealthy eating practices...like obesity, diabetes, tooth decay/gum disease and malocclusion (narrow jaws/crooked teeth). Without belaboring and boring you with details of my ongoing research, suffice it to say, I am thoroughly convinced that lack of prolonged breastfeeding (i.e., beyond 12-18+ mos), and weaning directly to mushy/pureed food (rather than firmer-textured "baby" food), sets a child up for many dental and general/overall health problems later in their lives. I need input from as many moms/mums, and from as many different countries as possible, over the next 6 months regarding how long you are able to breastfeed your babies, and most importantly, when do you eventually wean to firm-textured foods.

Can someone explain to me what "BLW" means per the comment from Tacey in April, 2010, "We're doing BLW so she had food as is from the outset. I think when you TW 6-7 months is the time to introduce lumpy food."

Thanks

Dr. Kev

BLW in a nutshell, is baby led weaning. Baby has never been given puree's or similar. They eat "normal" food from the onset of weaning, so they learn to eat when they are ready not when "mum" says they are.

I don't breastfeed so i many not be of any help, but i do BLW. My LO has NEVER had puree's and can now eat anything if the mood takes him

Darwinian Dentist

Hello All!

Thanks

Dr. Kev

Bun started eating regular foods at 7.5 months- since then he just eats what we eat. At first his favourite foods were avocado rolls, toast, roasted veg, and omelettes.
We are still breastfeeding 3x/day.

There is another thread called BLW - What did your baby eat today? (or something similar) that lists the kind of foods that BLW babies eat.
It's mostly whatever the family eats though - very simple!

Darwinian Dentist

Hello All!

Thanks

Dr. Kev

Otter is 18 months old and still breastfeeding. He showed signs of being ready to start weaning when he was a bit over 4 months old. I allowed him to start playing with food, but he didn't eat a lot at first. I also was very careful about what I offered him - mostly large pieces of steamed veggies and cut up fruit (in large chunks). He started consuming a bit of it by around 5 months, but still very little and not every day. I just offered and let him do what he wanted with it. He started on 3 meals per day at 6 months old. I never gave him pureed baby food. I always offered him regular "adult" food. I basically followed the recommendations made by Gill Rapley in her book Baby Led Weaning.

https://www.baby-led.com/

Otter is now a fabulous eater. I still follow BLW principles and it has been really great for our family. As far as breastfeeding, he is down to one nursing per day, but doesn't show signs of giving that up anytime soon and I am happy with that.

My daugther, DK, is 5 months old. She is still exclusively breastfeeding. She isn't showing signs of being ready to wean as early as Otter did. That may have to do with her being born 1 month early, or it may just be her. Either way, she will stay exclusively breastfed until she is ready to BLW just like her brother did.

Does anyone use plates or bowls etc.? Every time I try, Ronan wants to pick it up and tip it upside down to empty everything off it and he does the same thing with his doidy cup after we had a promising start to using it for awhile so we're now using a sippy or straw cup most of the time because it's a lot of clean up every single time. :wacko:

I've tried using the Tommee Tippee dishes with the suction mat thingy but he takes great delight in wrenching that off his tray too. He's ok with a bowl and occasionally a plate if he's having a snack on the floor with me, but if he's sitting down for a meal, he just wants to turn it upside down. :shrug:

I know I just need to persevere, but if anyone has any tips or tricks, or has been through it and remembers the turning point, I'd appreciate the encouragement!

Darwinian Dentist

Hello All!

Thanks

Dr. Kev

Like others have said, BLW is following your baby's lead as to when they're ready to eat, as well as what they eat by offering them a well balanced variety at mealtimes that is essentially the same food that the rest of the family is eating as well.

The book "Baby Led Weaning" by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett is a great read on the subject and you may find some interesting information relevant to your research as well.

Ronan is still breastfed and will be hopefully through until his 2nd year unless he self weans before then. We started on solids between 5-6 months when he began showing interest and was capable of picking up a banana (well, a third of a banana), bringing it to his mouth to gum some off, then move it around in his mouth and swallow it which is essentially the, "are they ready to start on solids yet?" test. :thumbup:

Like everyone else, we never fed purees, etc. and we don't spoon feed. Any food that requires a spoon is either given to him preloaded for him to feed himself, or he chooses to just eat it with his hands or slurp it up. I've found he gets very creative in how he tackles different foods. Once he started eating, his hand to eye coordination and manual dexterity improved very quickly, as well as his ability to eat most anything and everything that takes his fancy to want to eat. The only limits are that we don't offer things like sweets, chocolate, processed baked goods, juice etc. and try to keep his diet focused on diverse home made meals and snacks with limited salt and sugar where possible.

Good luck with your research! I hope you'll share the results with us when it's completed.

Kailee is 11 months old and now barly eating :/ im so confused. she was doing well starting to scoop with a spoon by herself and eating everything. now she wont eat much. she was really sick for a week so i think its scared her from eating. any tips?

Ronan's been the same recently purple_kiwi. He's been sick with a cold and teething so he's really finicky. I've just been keeping on offering, especially favorites of his and nursing/giving milk on demand. I figure it's just a phase and he'll get over it when he's good and ready, and probably with a vengeance, eating me out of house and home.

yea i nurse on demand so i know she wont starve. but its worrying. im thinking of maybe changing up our meals a bit and adding more pasta because its her favorite but other then that i dont know lol.

and Kailee started using a bowl from daycare and everytime she try and tip it they remind her to eat out of it and show her the food. shes ok with it now but the second its empty she throws it or bangs it on the high chair tray

I've found that if I offer him small bits in snacks throughout the day that he tends to eat more that way right now. I sit him down for his meals, but I also have a little snack on offer after he's nursed/between meals and he'll pick on that.

Hivechild - Thomas just started wanting to use a plate when he was about ten or eleven months. I think he just saw everyone else with one and wanted one too. He never threw it after that (well very rarely) and when he is done he will move the plate from his highchair tray to the table (highchair is pushed against the table and on a level with it). Sometimes I even give him a normal plate now if his own is dirty as he is so good with it. But it really did happen overnight, before that he just threw it. He still won't use a bowl except to eat something he really likes such as berries and yoghurt, everything else just gets tipped.

Ruby started having a plate / bowl and not playing with it at 13 months. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->