BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I guess maybe I just need to spend a day hanging out in the cereal isle of the grocery store.

shredded wheat have no sugar or salt in them (it's why they taste SO rubbish :dohh:) but Sophia seems to like them

I use shredded wheat too and just put enough milk to cover them then nuke in the microwave for 15-20 seconds just to warm and soften them a teensy bit and occasionally toss them in a wee bit of fruit puree for a little added flavor.

Porridge/Oatmeal is also sugar/salt free if you don't use the instant packet type and make it up yourself. I chop fresh or frozen fruit into it before I cook it so that it stews down and the flavor mixes through the oats. Ronan eats it either off a pre-loaded spoon, or by the handfuls.

Weetabix and Cheerios are also good, although both do have some salt and/or sugar. Now that Ronan's a bit older, I also give him corn flakes or rice krispies on occasion but not too often as they both have a little more salt & sugar as well.

I use shredded wheat too and just put enough milk to cover them then nuke in the microwave for 15-20 seconds just to warm and soften them a teensy bit and occasionally toss them in a wee bit of fruit puree for a little added flavor.

Porridge/Oatmeal is also sugar/salt free if you don't use the instant packet type and make it up yourself. I chop fresh or frozen fruit into it before I cook it so that it stews down and the flavor mixes through the oats. Ronan eats it either off a pre-loaded spoon, or by the handfuls.

Weetabix and Cheerios are also good, although both do have some salt and/or sugar. Now that Ronan's a bit older, I also give him corn flakes or rice krispies on occasion but not too often as they both have a little more salt & sugar as well.

Oatmeal..good call.
I never thought about it as I detest the stuff. I'm slowly running out of breaky ideas!!

Ruby has shreddies (well, supermarket own versions) rice krispies, cornflakes or Quaker Oat Crisp.

I didn't want to read and run.. but I am actually only in 1st trimester :blush:

Have been doing so much research on how OH and I want to raise our child.. already geared up to do cloth nappies, BF and now so looking forward to BLW!!

Thank you for such a wonderful thread.. and such wonderful and supportive ladies on here!! (and you guys too!) :flower:

Oatmeal..good call.
I never thought about it as I detest the stuff. I'm slowly running out of breaky ideas!!

I'll eat most things but I have to keep reminding myself to still offer him things i don't really care for.

I gave Ronan oatmeal this morning, funnily, and it was a bit runnier than normal, so rather than use his hands or a spoon he decided he was going to faceplant into the bowl and slurp it up. :dohh: I was trying so hard not to laugh and distract him because i didn't want to startle him and have him end up snorting oatmeal!

Canadabear, welcome! Even though you're a little ways off from weaning yet, feel free to hang around and ask any questions that crop up. You may be surprised at how quickly time flies and you find yourself posting about your LO's first meal! Are you going to find out if it's a boy or a girl? I always used to tell people who asked that I was really hoping it was a pony. :haha:

I hate porridge made from porridge oats as well, but my LO loves them and soo much cheaper than most cereal!

Also give fruit and or yoghurt? Or fruit dipped in yoghurt we do that quite often as well!

Welcome canadabear!! Unlike you I was dreading weaning cuz BF was so so easy - but BLW is too once you relax and get into the swing of it. xx

hivechild - Bun does this too if I make it too runny!! Right now he has taken to picking up the little individual oat pieces and eating them separately!!
Makes for a very slow breakfast :haha:

Ok, so here's my list of breaky ideas. I need more things that arent so messy as yogurt get everywhere. I give, toast with sugar free jam or mashed fruit on it, fruit sticks...biut everything else I can think of is runny or needs to be spoon fed. I tried hard boiled eggs..and well that did not go ever well. Are french toast sticks ok?? Im thinking the egg doesnt get fully cooked in french toast. I was going to use vanilla to sweeten it a bit.

Babydayz - If you just dip the bread and don't let it soak in the egg, it should be ok.
You can also put things like cream cheese and avocado on toast. Scrambled eggs or omelet are good as well. I like to make a one egg omelet, fold in half and put it in a fajita sized tortilla wrap with some cheese, folded over so the whole thing is a half moon and then nuke for 20-30 seconds so the cheese melts and it all binds together. It's quick and easy and Ronan likes 'em!

Sun - I'm glad I'm not the only one with a cereal slurper! I hope Ronan never decides he wants to eat his oatmeal a flake at a time, though. :haha: Oh, and we got one of those Boon bowls. :thumbup: It's not totally invincible, but he's only managed to pull it off when daddy was on breakfast duty and I don't think he stuck it down properly since he hasn't done it since.

Oh, just found a recipe for egg free French toast! I'm definitely trying that tomorrow! I will let you know how she likes it!

hivechild - I'm glad the bowl is working!! I kind of hesitate to recommend it cuz I always think maybe ours is really sticky and others not. Ours is really ridiculous and drives me mad by sticking to everything I set it down on. Oh hey! I just noticed you're in Boston - I'm there every summer :thumbup:

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd do a quick update on our BLW journey.

We're on the verge of the breakthrough I think - last night at teatime she definitely ate more than she left. Current favourites are carrots, pears (well, most fruit really!) and crumpet and I gave her a strip of pork chop the other night which she sucked the life out of!

She's loving her food and will try anything you put in front of her and doesn't scream half as much during clean up any more :) She's also getting good with a spoon even though we still end up with lots on her head!

Currently we're still only really doing 2 meals a day - breakfast and tea - but I'm going to start trying to add lunch soon.

Hope everyone else is doing well :)

hivechild - I'm glad the bowl is working!! I kind of hesitate to recommend it cuz I always think maybe ours is really sticky and others not. Ours is really ridiculous and drives me mad by sticking to everything I set it down on. Oh hey! I just noticed you're in Boston - I'm there every summer :thumbup:

Yay! Glad the bowl is working! I found an online UK supplier but haven't ordered it yet. Think I might now :D

Oh yeah? Work or holidays? We should catch up this summer!

Oh sorry! Just noticed this!!! We are there on holidays - my father gets a house in the Cape every summer so we go to Boston then stay with him for a week or so.
We love it!! :thumbup:

Oh yeah? Work or holidays? We should catch up this summer!

Oh sorry! Just noticed this!!! We are there on holidays - my father gets a house in the Cape every summer so we go to Boston then stay with him for a week or so.
We love it!! :thumbup:

Nice! Did you still go with Bun last year when he was still wee? I imagine it'll be a whole different, but really fun, holiday now that he's a bit older.

littlepne - Great to hear that your LO is doing so well. It's funny how it all sort of just clicks and falls into place one day, isn't it?

Yay! Glad the bowl is working! I found an online UK supplier but haven't ordered it yet. Think I might now :D

It was well worth the buy. After trying a few times to pull it off Ronan doesn't even bother now. He was happy eating off his tray for ages but he started getting really fussy about wanting to eat off a plate or out of a bowl and to use cutlery all the time, so the bowl made it a lot easier. I wish they made plates with the suction base like that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->