BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Sophia was about 13 months too when she started using a plate, although it still gets upturned every now and again!

Bun uses a suction bowl - he has a few but can pull them all off. The only one I use he doesn't try any more - OH and I need to use a knife to pry it off, so he definitely can't pull it off!! He has started wanting cutlery in the last few weeks though - and refusing to eat unless he has some... he's getting pretty good at it too! xx

Bun uses a suction bowl - he has a few but can pull them all off. The only one I use he doesn't try any more - OH and I need to use a knife to pry it off, so he definitely can't pull it off!! He has started wanting cutlery in the last few weeks though - and refusing to eat unless he has some... he's getting pretty good at it too! xx

What brand is it?

Ronan wants to use proper forks and spoons too lately rather than his plastic ones so I had to go buy some toddler ones for him. He ate his toast with a fork yesterday for lunch after refusing to pick it up and eat with his hands. :rolleyes:

What brand is it?

Ronan wants to use proper forks and spoons too lately rather than his plastic ones so I had to go buy some toddler ones for him. He ate his toast with a fork yesterday for lunch after refusing to pick it up and eat with his hands. :rolleyes:

We use this bowl https://www.booninc.com/products/CatchBowl/312

I don't know if it is just our bowl or all of them - but the one we have is impossible to remove!!! All the others Bun can wrestle off. He starts working on them as soon as we put the bowl down. When he sees this one he doesn't try anymore though :haha:

He has started wanting to eat out of our ceramic bowls/plates though so I don't know how much longer he will be using it for!!

Ooh, I was looking at those bowls but didn't want to waste more money if they didn't work but maybe I'll give it a try anyway. Thanks!

We use this bowl https://www.booninc.com/products/CatchBowl/312

I don't know if it is just our bowl or all of them - but the one we have is impossible to remove!!! All the others Bun can wrestle off. He starts working on them as soon as we put the bowl down. When he sees this one he doesn't try anymore though :haha:

He has started wanting to eat out of our ceramic bowls/plates though so I don't know how much longer he will be using it for!!

they have it at target according to their website...im going to find me one of these!

my LO doesnt throw his bowl, but the last 4 meals hes decided it makes a great hat. it took forever to get the sweet and sour sauce out his fine hair last night :dohh:

Does anyone feed their LOs sardines??? I want to start cuz they are soooo healthy and high in calcium (Lo can't eat dairy) but I have no idea how to prepare them. I would like to make them tasty for both me and LO, but they seem so yuck!! Maybe it's the brand that I am buying too - are they all the same???

Does anyone feed their LOs sardines??? I want to start cuz they are soooo healthy and high in calcium (Lo can't eat dairy) but I have no idea how to prepare them. I would like to make them tasty for both me and LO, but they seem so yuck!! Maybe it's the brand that I am buying too - are they all the same???

Neat idea :) Have you tried offering them plain?

I would try mixing them in a tomato sauce & serving it with pasta. (an Italian style)

I'm not sure if you get them in tins/cans over there?. My LO has had them in tomato sauce on toast and loved them.

I was wondering the same thing, Sun! I bought some sardines a few months ago and they're still sitting in the pantry. I loathe canned fish myself (the smell is gag worthy) so haven't got to giving them to him yet. Hubby said he used to have them on sandwiches or just eaten out of the can when he was younger. Ugh!

We use the sardines from a can (all bone free) and we mash them on toast or add them to pasta - Sophia doesn't mind them, not her favourite food though!

I haven't tried sardines yet - but think I will this week.

Ito recipe ideas for sardines, I imagine you could make sardine fishcakes with a mixture of sardine, potato, egg, herbs?
I also remember as a child really enjoying homemade sardine pizza. Just homemade wholewheat pizza base with tomato (passata) and sardines on top. You wouldn't need to add cheese, pretty tasty without.

Wow - thanks for all the amazing ideas!! :thumbup:

Kirmal12 - I am referring to the sardines in cans (though fresh are even better, but hard to come by around here right now). Apparently the Portuguese brands of canned sardines taste the best (so says a sardine-loving friend of mine) so I might search them out.

Hivechild - I know what you mean about the smell! phewf!! I opened a can last night and :wacko: but I figure part of it is that we don't normally eat them, so the smell/look of them is off-putting. If I can figure out a way to prepare them, then I think we can get over it.

I do really want to like them though - they are inexpensive, much more sustainable, and much better for you than other types of fish (ie: fatty acids and negligible metals) so there are so many reasons!! Right now we barely eat fish because of the above reasons.

For anyone else looking into this, I also found this article: https://blog.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/five-ways-to-serve-canned-sardines-to-your-baby/ So some more ideas!

I am going to try the pasta sauce I think .. :thumbup:

I absolutely love tinned sardines, pilchards and mackeral......now just got to get lo to love them too!

Wondering what's a good finger food cereal I can give DD?! I guess this is more geared to Canadian moms. Obviously I am worried about sugar/salt contents.

Wondering what's a good finger food cereal I can give DD?! I guess this is more geared to Canadian moms. Obviously I am worried about sugar/salt contents.

Not sure what you have over there, but bitesize shredded wheat or bitesize weetabix are good. Soak them in just enough milk to make them soft and then LO can pick them up and shovel them in !

I think American cheerios have a lot less sugar than the ones we have in the uk not sure what you have in Canada.

Not sure what you have over there, but bitesize shredded wheat or bitesize weetabix are good. Soak them in just enough milk to make them soft and then LO can pick them up and shovel them in !

Ohh..shredded wheat, that never crossed my mind. I guess my biggest issue, is that the cereals that I assume are loaded full of sugar..seem to be no worse than the plain cereals I would assume are good for you(OH is diabetic so he's always checking these things.)
And Im really paranoid about giving DD ANY sugar/salt. Maybe I just need reassurance that the odd salt and sugar ain't gonna hurt her.

Supermarket own brands tend to have less sugar and salt in than brand names I've found. At least in the UK anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->