BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Quick Q to you experienced mummies (aka Kat :rofl:) Amelie still cant figure out how to hold a spoon. I combine finger foods and puree still but i want to start dropping the purees totally. She had her cheese sandwich for lunch which was fine but I tried putting a spoon in her hand with yogurt on it and she just dropped it and opened her little mouth for me to put the spoon in :( dunno how to help her spoon feed herself?

Let her find the spoon for herself. As I just said to Kate, let her play with the spoon before you suddenly expcet her to fed herself. I gave Oliver the spoon to play with for a while, then I slowly atrted dipping the bowl end in things, so that it tasted good. It wasn't loaded as such, just tasted good. Then I started to load it and offer it at meal times. You have already taught Amelie something, so now you have to teach her the alternantive. Slowly, slowly hun and you will both get there in the end.:thumbup:

Thanks girls - feels like I've been doing this for ages with no improvement. Must keep the faith!

Any BLW babies who have reflux?

We were always told Niamh's reflux would get better with age (sitting up) and weaning. HA! As if!

Everytime Niamh eats, she throws up. Never her food, but clear liquid (ie digested milk). She throws up with every milk feed too but I was hoping this wouldn't happen when eating food. She is on gaviscon, and threw up 8 times during lunch. It isn't huge amounts, but I was just wondering how other reflux mummies found things.

Any BLW babies who have reflux?

We were always told Niamh's reflux would get better with age (sitting up) and weaning. HA! As if!

Everytime Niamh eats, she throws up. Never her food, but clear liquid (ie digested milk). She throws up with every milk feed too but I was hoping this wouldn't happen when eating food. She is on gaviscon, and threw up 8 times during lunch. It isn't huge amounts, but I was just wondering how other reflux mummies found things.

Oliver has reflux. His got worse for a period of time. It was the same - always liquidy milk. I realised the other week that he was still on a lot of milk, so I cut this down. He has been tonnes better since. We've also cut out his gavascon completely.

Thanks. Do you think cutting out the gaviscon helped? I'm wondering if it can actually make it worse? I know that makes no logical sense, but I'm at the end of my tether now. :dohh: Will try cutting down the milk feeds a bit.

To be honest, we didn't realy notice a difference once we cut out the gaviscon, so we just stopped it. No point giving something that doesn't work! The real difference was the milk feeds though. He didn't really drop any, even though he was eating tonnes of solids. So I just reduced them and hey presto!! He still does pour his ilk out now and again, but that is a direct link to how much he has eaten and when/how much milk he then drinks.

Quick Q to you experienced mummies (aka Kat :rofl:) Amelie still cant figure out how to hold a spoon. I combine finger foods and puree still but i want to start dropping the purees totally. She had her cheese sandwich for lunch which was fine but I tried putting a spoon in her hand with yogurt on it and she just dropped it and opened her little mouth for me to put the spoon in :( dunno how to help her spoon feed herself?

Let her find the spoon for herself. As I just said to Kate, let her play with the spoon before you suddenly expcet her to fed herself. I gave Oliver the spoon to play with for a while, then I slowly atrted dipping the bowl end in things, so that it tasted good. It wasn't loaded as such, just tasted good. Then I started to load it and offer it at meal times. You have already taught Amelie something, so now you have to teach her the alternantive. Slowly, slowly hun and you will both get there in the end.:thumbup:

Thank you, I shall start giving her her own spoon when shes getting purees too :)

This is what I am doing and it seems to be kinda working so far

load up the spoon and get her to hold the spoon but help guide the spoon to her mouth IYKWIM? then after a while of doing that I have started to just give her the loaded spoon, she very rarly gets it into her mouth but she isnt dropping it and spends a while turning it around and usually ends up putting the wrong end in her mouth:dohh: but she is getting there!

Forgot to say I gave her a spoon to play with for a while before putting anything on it

We are still not making much progress - most of it just gets thrown on the floor.......sigh. :cry:
Really don't know what to do anymore. OH wants me to give him puree....he has no idea....how can I do that when he wont even open his mouth for a spoon. Could this really just be his teething or should I be worried that he really isn't making any progress. :shrug:

I can really sympathise, Rebecca spent ages playing and throwing the food I gave her and it did take a few weeks for her to realise they new toys were actually food. My Oh has also mentioned purees a few times but she will simply not open her mouth for a spoon unless it it either porridge or yoghurt and somtimes not even for them so think trying purees woulod be even more frustrating.

Can he hold the food ok? has he tried to eat anything yet?

Dinner time was very interesting for us today, Rebecca had ......................... Haggis Neeps and Tatties!! ( veggie haggis though!)

She really enoyed eating it :happydance: and smearing it over the high chair and her legs :dohh:

Its been weeks - he can pick it up just fine - he can even pick up individual cheerios but it either goes into his mouth and back out again or he just sweeps it all on to the floor. He takes extra special care to smoosh any kind of fruit really well before throwing it onto the floor! I think I just need to be patient - he's still gaining weight on just formula alone - my HV doesn't seem worried, she was actually really supportive of BLW - its just so frustrating!!

Its been weeks - he can pick it up just fine - he can even pick up individual cheerios but it either goes into his mouth and back out again or he just sweeps it all on to the floor. He takes extra special care to smoosh any kind of fruit really well before throwing it onto the floor! I think I just need to be patient - he's still gaining weight on just formula alone - my HV doesn't seem worried, she was actually really supportive of BLW - its just so frustrating!!

:hugs:

Its hard being patient when all you want is your LO to eat. Although Rebecca is actually eating food, its very small amounts but I am trying to stay patient too and keep hoping her appitite will increase

its fantastic that he can pick up small bits of food though

Well, Kaitlynn hasn't actually eaten anything yet but I can see an improvement since we started on saturday. Instead of ignoring everything on her tray she has now started to touch the food and even picked up some pitta bread today! A rice cake ended up on the floor though along with the spoon and cup lol My dog is enjoying this part :munch:

Quick question - I'm really hoping to give BLW a try with Aisling but I might have to go back to work at around the 6 month mark - would this make BLW very difficult? I can't imagine the nursery being great with having to do it for me and I wouldn't be around for too many meals during the day :cry: Really want to try it though!

Talk to the nursery in advance. some with be more receptive than others. The nursery Hebe is at will do EXACTLY what I want. I told them finger foods and they said no probs! :D

Ethan finally ate some toast and some banana !!!!!!! Hooray !!!!!!!:happydance::happydance::happydance:

Yey!!!!!!!!!! Thats fab news hun. Onwards and upwards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->