BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Hi girls!!

I noticed something last night, that I thought I would share with you.

When Oliver eats his meals, it takes a while for him to warm up, as it were!!

He tends to play for a good while, then suddenly it turns to eat time and he woofs it down!! He probably plays for about 10 minutes before he changes tact.

So maybe give your LO's chance to play and don't be too hasty in removing food, if your finding that they just play.
Just a thought!

After a week of offering foods with very little interest I think Kaitlynn's finally getting the hang of it. She actually sucked on some toast yesterday :happydance: She also picked up her cup and started sucking on the spout, it was so cute!!!!!

aww well done Kaitlynn! Izzy is eating cheese, cucumber and tomato slices for lunch - it's sooo cute she LOVES tomatoes and when they taste a bit sharp she squints her eyes and starts squealing and flapping her arms around and smiling :wacko: so funny lol.

I really like BLW :happydance: x x

Rebecca seems to really like tomatoes at the moment too! She would be quite happy to munch on nothing but them just now

rhys has learnt a new trick if he cant manage to get hold of a piece of food he leans forward and rubs his face into it and picks up that way.

he had tomato for the first time today and he sucked the life out of it, i do worry that he's not chewing and swallowing alot of what i give him but he's pooping plenty out so must be some going down :rofl:

Rebecca seems to really like tomatoes at the moment too! She would be quite happy to munch on nothing but them just now

Hebe is going thru tomatoes like there is no tomorrow!! She loves 'em too!!

:D

Niamh is in full swing now, and there is no stopping her! :rofl: She had chicken and bacon pizza for lunch, and lasagna for dinner and ate it all! Screamed for more when she was finished each finger of pizza :lol:

Well done Niamh!!

Oliver had home made falafels last night. He loved them!
word of warning though - his nappy this morning was off the charts! It smelt soooo bad!!!:nope:

Oooh falafels sound good- not the stinky nappy tho! do you have a recipe you could share??

Hello ladies,
Just wondered what was the earliest age you would consider starting BLW?
Due to George's cleft palate we had to start weaning early (17 weeks) so that by the time he has his first palate operation in September he will be happy with solids. The consultant said we have to do this as there is a chance he will refuse his bottle due to the changed sensation in his mouth after the repair.
So we are well down the road of weaning with puree and its going ok but I really like the idea of BLW.
So a bit of advice really....
Can you start BLW after feeding with puree?
Is 5 months too young?
Could I stick to puree for now & convert to BLW after his palate op when he'll be 28 weeks old?
Would that be too confusing for him after 11 weeks of spoon feeding?
Sorry for all the questions :blush:
Thanks xxx

It might be worth talking to Bex about this. I know she wanted to do BLW and had to wean early for Niamh's repair op.

:D

Kaitlynn did really well yesterday, She had carrot, pepper and green beans. :munch: I'm so proud of her even though some days she's just not interested as this is only the second time in nearly 2 weeks. Doesn't seem to like cold, wet, slimy foods though and will not pick them up. lol

Hey ladies! When did everyone start giving their LOs food to play with? When did you decide they were ready?

Meadows only 5 months old just but I gave her some pepper to play with the other day. She picked it up and put it straight in her mouth and made a chewing action. No chance of her actually biting any off tho. It was so funny, I dont think she liked it she kept pulling a face every time it touched her mouth but kept putting it back in.

https://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e188/sparkswillfly35/SDC10566.jpg

Yesterday Heebs went to her first proper kids party - my nephew's 2nd birthday. So of course there was party food to be had so we let her join in. It was so funny watching kids older than her being fed and having stuff cut up etc as she literally grabbed the hot dog off her plate and started munching on it!! :lol: She followed that with a fish finger, potatoe wedges, a slice of cheese pizza and a pink wafer biscuit!!! Everyone was a gast at how well she handled her food....:smug:

This was all after she'd eaten a whole pear to put her on!! :lol: The seem to be her new fav fruit. I take a tiny bite and get it going and she does the rest....

https://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/moogsmum/th_26072009015.jpg

Oliver adores pears too!

We went to a 1st birthday party yesterday and couldn't wait to let him run riot with al the party food!
But the hosts and their families, (the entire party) are from Nigeria and they just had loads of curries, spicay samosas and spicey noodles/rice. We tried Oliver on it, but it wasn't suitable for a meal. There was no dessert, kids food, or anytihng like that! So we ended up giving him a bowl of rice that had veggies and prawns in and a yoghurt that we had to steal off the host!! Complete disaster!

Ok - so i have been weaning on purees but lately Amelia has been pushing them away but grabing at what we eat - she has tried banana, bread and carrots. So today i offered her some cheesey mash potato and she didn't want to know so i gave her some steamed carrot sticks BUT it freaked me out! At first i was dead proud as she was sucking them and them chewing the bits that broke of before swollowing - she has no teeth either! But then she gagged and a piece got stuck at the roof of her mouth - and i lost all confidence and slapped her back, took the carrot out of her mouth and that was the end of that meal! I am so very afraid of choking - i very nearly died as a toddler due to choking and i can actually remember bits of it - plus my mum is (understandably) OTT when it comes to choking! I keep hearing that it is very unlikely - can someone please tell me why - really need some reassurance/explanation here girls - i am worried i wont have the confidence to give finger foods rather then purees -----even though she seems to prefer them - she smiles and stuffs the food into her mouth. I am scared!

PS - should the carrots be cooked soft enough that bits can break off when she is sucking/gumming them?

I had the same thing with carrots today. They were really soft and bits came off in her mouth. She gagged and spat them out.

I have a question for the experts. Meadow is just 5 months, she can almost sit up unsupported. She can sit up straight properly and hold her head up. She has more than doubled her birth weight. She used to sleep through but for the last 3 nights she has woken up at 4am for a feed. The last two days I have sat her at the table with me at dinner table and she grabbed food off my plate and shoved it in her mouth. She sucked a parsnip to death today. She is physically ready for food, she can even feed herself perfectly with her nuby 6 month cup. She tips its up and everything. But she was only 5 months on friday I worry if I continue to let her play with food her tummy wont be ready for it. What would you guys do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->