BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

That's great that he's munching on toast. We had weeks before he would put anything into his mouth - at least now he tastes it before throwing it on the floor! I know I must learn to be more patient - trouble is I'm not that good at patient!!

Well after posting in the BLW thread in Baby club were giving it a whirl.
AJ is refusing to be spoonfed and screaming as soon as he see's the spoon.

He's had a try of fingerfoods before so today he had...
Toast, taste of Ham sandwich, strawberry, pepper, cucumber, chicken, taste of quiche, breadstick.
He's had a bit more milk today as he's had a good taste of things but not really ate very much.

Bit stuck on breakfast foods?? I'm sure toast may get boring :dohh:
I think I'll do scrambled egg tomorrow for breakfast.

That's great that he's munching on toast. We had weeks before he would put anything into his mouth - at least now he tastes it before throwing it on the floor! I know I must learn to be more patient - trouble is I'm not that good at patient!!

I think thats the hardest part of BLW for me as I really am not very patient!!

Toast, taste of Ham sandwich, strawberry, pepper, cucumber, chicken, taste of quiche, breadstick.
He's had a bit more milk today as he's had a good taste of things but not really ate very much.

Be warned, scrambled eggs can get very very messy!! Rebecca threw loads of it on the floor and my dog ate it before i could pick it up and then was sick on my carpet:hissy:

Be warned, scrambled eggs can get very very messy!! Rebecca threw loads of it on the floor and my dog ate it before i could pick it up and then was sick on my carpet:hissy: she did like it though ( the eggs not the dog spew:rofl:)

Be warned, scrambled eggs can get very very messy!! Rebecca threw loads of it on the floor and my dog ate it before i could pick it up and then was sick on my carpet:hissy: she did like it though ( the eggs not the dog spew:rofl:)

I'll make plenty and put the mat under the highchair. We have a dog too, so no chance of picking it up!

rhys had for breakfast, a pear, wholemeal toast, banana, and porridge he licks and pear and has a bit of a chew, he mashes banana into his mouth and i think he eats half lol, his porridge i load his spoon at the moment and he kind of aims for his mouth he licks at it mostly.
i used to have an angle spoon for rosie and they were brilliant baby spoons ar quite long i think and aiming is harder.
going to have a google around for some.
i cant believe how well rhys is doing. he even eats going yum now. he loves brocolli its very messy though.

x

I had angled spoons for Em - do they not still do them Helen? I keep watching out for them. :)

God, everyones babies are really going for it aren't they! Long may it continue!!!

I'm jealous of Rhys's menu, he gets much better food than me :D x

Elliot wasn't too keen on anything last night, he briefly sucked some cucumber and had a little 'chew' on some apple, the pepper just all got thrown straight on the floor!!!

:hugs: x

he likes his toast the best and he's keeps rubbing it in yoghurt :sick:

he still bite of chunks and spits it out which i think frustrates him sometimes, i still feed him some food but hoping this will eventually drop off. he devoured a satsuma lol and ended up rubbing his carrot in the orangey juice he'd left lol
my bible came and baby and finger food book, its very interesting actually and some of the recipes are do-able with normal kitchen food iykwim.

when do they begin to start properly chewing and swallowing,

Quite quickly Helen. You'll see a difference in just a few weeks. :D

We are still not making much progress - most of it just gets thrown on the floor.......sigh. :cry:
Really don't know what to do anymore. OH wants me to give him puree....he has no idea....how can I do that when he wont even open his mouth for a spoon. Could this really just be his teething or should I be worried that he really isn't making any progress. :shrug:

We are still not making much progress - most of it just gets thrown on the floor.......sigh. :cry:
Really don't know what to do anymore. OH wants me to give him puree....he has no idea....how can I do that when he wont even open his mouth for a spoon. Could this really just be his teething or should I be worried that he really isn't making any progress. :shrug:

It takes time hun. How long have you been trying? If he won't feed himself then he's not hungry, he's happy on just milk :hugs: and if it is teething they can go off the idea of food, so persevere with milk for now.

I agree with Shifter. The key to BLW is that it's BABY LED! Let him lead the way....you dont HAVE to force feed him when he's getting all he needs from his milk :)

as far as the blw book says this is normal hun.

i dont put so much in front of rhys at a time now, as he leans forwards and swipes it off the tray. he's geting it to his mouth and swallowing bits but often bites bits and spits it out.

i'm making rusks today for him to suck on i'm hoping he'll click soon and realise that biting chewing and swallowing is what he's meant to be doing.

my oh was the same after we started following the blw route saying its too messy and he was fine before blah blah but he knows i was always interested in the blw route i've never heard anything bad about it.
so i gave him the book and said here read this, as a family we eat tons of fresh food so its easier for us to keep offering what we eat rather than cook separate, and the fact that when he's a toddler we can all go for a curry and he'll pro devour a very mild curry impressed him enough to support me more.

one of rhys's fave foods is yorkshire pudding, i'd like to see that get puree'd lol.

stick with it i sure am, i trust other peoples opinions on here when they say be patient they'll pick it up, rhys is etting better with every meal

Quick Q to you experienced mummies (aka Kat :rofl:) Amelie still cant figure out how to hold a spoon. I combine finger foods and puree still but i want to start dropping the purees totally. She had her cheese sandwich for lunch which was fine but I tried putting a spoon in her hand with yogurt on it and she just dropped it and opened her little mouth for me to put the spoon in :( dunno how to help her spoon feed herself?

I'm after some of your expert help as well! :)

I am following at mixture of puree and BLW as we had to start weaning early and have problems with weight. At lunch and dinner time she has a mixture of puree and figure foods on her tray infront of her. She is not interested at all in the finger foods, all she wants is the puree. She sits with her mouth wide open for more food from me and will scream until she is fed some. I have tried to encourge her to pick up the food but she is having none of it. She likes what is on the tray as when I pick it up to give her a taste she loves it and wants more but again holds her mouth open until we have popped it in. Is she being lazy?

If I pop at toy or her sippy cup on the tray she takes it straight away and pops it into her mouth! :dohh: We have been doing this for 3 weeks now- Where am I going so so wrong?

I'm after some of your expert help as well! :)

I am following at mixture of puree and BLW as we had to start weaning early and have problems with weight. At lunch and dinner time she has a mixture of puree and figure foods on her tray infront of her. She is not interested at all in the finger foods, all she wants is the puree. She sits with her mouth wide open for more food from me and will scream until she is fed some. I have tried to encourge her to pick up the food but she is having none of it. She likes what is on the tray as when I pick it up to give her a taste she loves it and wants more but again holds her mouth open until we have popped it in. Is she being lazy?

If I pop at toy or her sippy cup on the tray she takes it straight away and pops it into her mouth! :dohh: We have been doing this for 3 weeks now- Where am I going so so wrong?

Try giving her finger foods between meals, then she can play with them. Making them suddenly feed themselves their own dinner will only lead to disaster. They need to discover that they feed themselves through play. After a few weeks, she will suddenly click that the new "toys" are food and she can feed herself!! Just give it time hun. And remember - don't do it if she tired, full or hungry!! She is only 5 months, so it may be a bit soon for her developmentally, so give a bit yet hun. Don't panic.:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->