BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Me and Elliot had lunch together today :happydance: He was fine in his high chair with a bit of padding round his bottom!!! I had a salad and he had an empty cup and a couple of spoons which he enjoyed for a while before he dropped them on the floor :D

I'm going to leave off on food for a while yet but I think it'll be good to get him used to his chair and meal time conversation :D xxx

:D Definately a good time to involve him. We put food on her tray at this point but she rarely did anything with it at first. I think giving him small things to pick up is a great idea in the meantime :)

What kind of cheese does everyone use and how do you give it, chunks/slices?

Ok, so...... he had some bowls and spoons for tea plus his teething bear thing but after they'd all ended up on the floor he was getting a bit unsettled so, not wanting him to associate the table with bordem and horrible things I got him out of his high chair and held him on my knee while I finished my tea.

He sat quietly for a minute or so then grabbed my plate. Then he grabbed an oven chip, I wasn't going to let his first taste of food be a chip so I managed to take it off him and he went for some spring onion instead! He then chomped away sucking at it for about three or four minutes until I got a bit worried that bits were coming off it and swapped it for a spoon...

I don't think I'm quite ready to give him food still, he was enjoying it but he's teething so it's probably just a new texture he was enjoying on his gums?!

x
[IMG]https://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/EddyPuss/OnionEating.jpg[/IMG]

I use BabyBels or pieces of regular cheddar. I cut most things into baton shapes or close to that shape to make them easy to hold. :)

Awww Elm! Look at him!! So nice to see. The theory is that is he's physically developed enough to get bits off then his system will be mature enough for him to eat them. We quickly got to a point where if we sat to eat and she was there she would kick off till she got something to 'eat' / play with :)

Awww Elm! Look at him!! So nice to see. The theory is that is he's physically developed enough to get bits off then his system will be mature enough for him to eat them. We quickly got to a point where if we sat to eat and she was there she would kick off till she got something to 'eat' / play with :)

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: I'm liking that theory!!! It was lovely to see him sucking on it!!! x

Hebe hasnt had spring onion yet so you've inspired me!! Perfect shape!! :D

Hebe hasnt had spring onion yet so you've inspired me!! Perfect shape!! :D

Yeah never thought of spring onion either, will have to try that too when Kaitlynn comes around to the idea of eating something :)

Day 3 of BLW and I sat her around the table this time while I had breakfast and she was alot happier in her highchair and no crying this time. I put a cup and spoon on the tray and she grabbed the spoon straight away. She picked up the cup once and banged it on the highchair which made her jump bless lol. I gave her toast and banana but again didn't really pay much attention to it. She did touch the toast a couple of times but didn't look at it. After a bit she was getting fed u so I put her on my lap and I had a banana in my hand which she leaned over and started sucking it. She wouldn't take it out my hand to hold it herself but was happy for me to hold it. Same with the toast she would munch on it while I have it but didn't want to hold it. I'm starting to think she will only eat while I hold it for her which is not what I want to do and I definitely don't want to go down the puree route. Maybe she's too lazy to feed herself but will happily take it from me :confused:

If she's not ready to feed herself, then I wouldn't start feeding her personally I would just let her go at her own pace. She'll soon learn to pick things up and put them in her mouth, and it's all about her learning and exploring.

If she just wants to play with spoons and cups then I would let her, as she's still learning by playing. I just put a lot of things on Niamh's highchair and for the first week she wasn't interested and just played, then one day she did it herself and we haven't looked back!

As Nic said, there is no need to panic yet and start feeding her. You just need to have the belief that she will do it in her own time. It is very difficult and frustrating, but believe me, it will pay off soon! If she isn't interested yet, it is probably that she isn't ready yet. This is a very natural process and we have to give babies more credit than we normally do. They are very clever little monkeys and love to suprise us!!:cloud9:

Yup, totally agree with kat and Nic

Well our latest feeding update isnt so good. Rebecca is now getting both her top teeth at the same time :cry: so her poor wee gums are rather sore and she has now lost interest in her milk and food, is this normal?

Just gutted as we were starting to get back on track with her eating after having 2 large operations within 6 weeks of each other and it seemed to take ages for her to start eating decent amounts of food in the first place!!

Oh poor Rebecca! Yes, it's normal for them to go off their food when they're teething as their mouths are so sore. Have you given her anything for it? You could try cold foods too. Cold, raw peppers from the fridge, cold fruit, etc.

Niamh had hardly any lunch today as I left it too close to her nap time :dohh: 2 small pieces of toast and 2 hunks of pepper and she was demanding bed :lol:

We are also cutting 2 top teeth at the same time - rubbish!! One thing he will eat/suck at the moment are cold cucumber circles (I cut them in half so he can get hold of them) - strangely enough if I cut it into sticks he just sweeps it in to the floor!? Although he did manage a chip today at Ikea! I keep telling myself that one day he will eat more....one day!

We are also cutting 2 top teeth at the same time - rubbish!! One thing he will eat/suck at the moment are cold cucumber circles (I cut them in half so he can get hold of them) - strangely enough if I cut it into sticks he just sweeps it in to the floor!? Although he did manage a chip today at Ikea! I keep telling myself that one day he will eat more....one day!

Aww, he'll get there hun, don't worry. It seriously is soooo frustrating! I doubted myself an awful lot over a period of about 3 weeks at one point. But I'm a stubborn mare and once I decide to do something, I have to follow it through!

Oliver ate mashed potato from a spoon today. And I don't mean a loaded spoon. I left the spoon in the bowl (for some odd reason!!:dohh:) and he picked it up, stick it in the mash and away he went! Yes, it was a little messy and most of it got flicked on the floor, but he has the principle!! I'm soooo proud of my little chunky food monster :cloud9:

Yey for Oliver - that's brilliant! I'm frustrated cos i had lunch with a good friend who has an angel baby who has done everything "by the book" and he quite happily sat there and ate his mush off a spoon - then there's Ethan who won't even look at a spoon smushing Ikea meatballs all over the place and generally making a hell of a mess! She just looks at me with that "oh he will get the hang of a spoon one day" look! Thing is he's perfectly capable of eating off a spoon he just chooses not to! Arrrgh - rant over! At least I don't have to worry about special food for him - he can just have some of what I'm eating!

:hugs: rach - bet it'll be different when your friends baby moves on to solids and yours is all skilled at handling them with really sophisticated tastes xxx

Elliot managed to find a crust of toast that another baby had dropped at baby cafe and started munching on it... think he's trying to tell me something!! He's had some wholemeal and white toast and apple today - he isn't eating any I don't think just having a chew.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->