BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Is anyone on here doing PURELY blw, or are you all giving a bit of mash/puree etc.
We are doing it in it's purest form, but now I've seen that you're all giving mash etc, I'm starting to doubt myself. We've tried porridge and weetabix, but with giving him the spoon loaded - it was a disaster! Should I just stick it out?
Tezzy, what did you do?

rhys never had any purees what so ever, no mash, no porridge, no spoonfeeding of any kind and ffion only ever has purees at nursery, shes purely blw at home just like rhys was. rhys never had coutlery until after ffion was born (around 18 months) and when i eventually gave them to him he was old enough to understand that they were for eating with not for playing with, i wont be giving ffion coutlery until she is around 18 months because most of rhys' friends who started with spoons at 6months STILL play with their spoon when they eat. thats just my experience im not saying that people shouldnt give spoons etc.. i just wont.

Maybe I should stop giving him a spoon - he just hits himselve over the head with it. Perhaps I'll make his porridge a lot firmer and he can eat it with his hands.

or you could give him things to dunk in it Kat?

can I ask why you're giving him porridge and weetabix? is it because you have it as a family or something? I know that sloppy foods are fine for BLW babies but it might be easier to start with something like bitesize shredded wheat? I know Alasdair could eat porridge and completely sloppy foods well now but when he was younger I had times where I felt like he hadn't eaten anything.

We weren't 100% baby led at that point, he just phased out the purees himself (at about 7 months) but as we started weaning at 5ish months for the reason that he was just so hungry and not filled up by milk; I really needed to make sure he had something in him!

Ally is doing fine with his weaning as always. Don't think he's had anything new. Oh, he is finally eating brocolli! Took long enough.

can I ask why you're giving him porridge and weetabix? is it because you have it as a family or something? I know that sloppy foods are fine for BLW babies but it might be easier to start with something like bitesize shredded wheat? I know Alasdair could eat porridge and completely sloppy foods well now but when he was younger I had times where I felt like he hadn't eaten anything.

We weren't 100% baby led at that point, he just phased out the purees himself (at about 7 months) but as we started weaning at 5ish months for the reason that he was just so hungry and not filled up by milk; I really needed to make sure he had something in him!

Ally is doing fine with his weaning as always. Don't think he's had anything new. Oh, he is finally eating brocolli! Took long enough.

I was just trying alsorts really. Just letting him play with it! Don't worry, I soon learnt :dohh: Hadn't thought of the bitesize ones. Although I think they'd stil be a bit small for him yet. He is still on the really chunky food.

I give her porridge because it's what we all eat for breakie :D Brain food!

I guess you could give him one of the massive ones soaked in milk lol. The bitesize ones aren't really really small. I'm trying to think of things...it won't be long til he gets the hang of eating everything with his hands, especially as you're doing 100% BLW :D

Mervs Mum: I am obviously neglecting my scottish heritage by not having porridge for breakfast. Should probably change my name (from Sheona to Jane) and Alasdair's too (to Edward I think!)

What are you thinking not eating porridge for breakie!! You'll be stripped of your kilt!!! Next you'll tell me you dont toss the caber down the gym every day!!! :lol:

no...but I have been watching the highland games on telly!!

Tezzy - why do you give purees for nursery do they make you do that?

Im hoping to follow BLW 100%

yeah they are quite strict at nursery about not giving finger food... ie giving purees then moving onto getting them to use cutlery. im not happy about this at all because i dont want ffion to have coutlery until 18 months and i would prefer for her to have finger food.

ive managed to get them to give her a banana/apple for her breakfast which is fantastic progress.. but they complain about the mess she makes and the time it takes her to eat. she doesnt eat her dinner much at nursery because she hates being spoon fed.. so i always give her a second dinner when she gets home at 1.30.

yeah they are quite strict at nursery about not giving finger food... ie giving purees then moving onto getting them to use cutlery. im not happy about this at all because i dont want ffion to have coutlery until 18 months and i would prefer for her to have finger food.

ive managed to get them to give her a banana/apple for her breakfast which is fantastic progress.. but they complain about the mess she makes and the time it takes her to eat. she doesnt eat her dinner much at nursery because she hates being spoon fed.. so i always give her a second dinner when she gets home at 1.30.

thats a real pain. going back to work interfers with everything I want to do :hissy:

yeah i know, we had a nanny for rhys and she was really into BLW so we had a great time weaning him and when i was at work the nanny knew exactly what to give him etc.

Where have you all gone?!!
I was thinking of you all at lunch, while Oliver absolutely devoured half a pear!
I think it all clicked a few days ago. He's so enjoying trying new flavours right now. Although it's hit and miss if I get it right what he wants! I thought he was busy enjoying his sweet potato, but then he saw the pear and off he went!
It has made a huge difference now that he eats at the table with us too.

What do you people do if you are out and about for te day? He still throws a lo of it on the floor and I give it back to him. But I can't do that if we're out. Do you just take lots of things and throw it away as son as it hits the decks?
One of you must have the obvious answer!:dohh:

unfortunetly yes if it goes on the floor when we're out then its bye bye food!

ffion had toast at nursery this morning, i think theyre getting the hang of letting her have finger foods.

unfortunetly yes if it goes on the floor when we're out then its bye bye food!

ffion had toast at nursery this morning, i think theyre getting the hang of letting her have finger foods.

That's good news! Never know, they may get their heads round it one day!!

any of you attempted to eat out so far? I imagine it could be quite messy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->