BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I'm always being called a mean mummy! :rofl:

I think it just takes a while for them to realise what food's about with BLW but that's no bad thing. I'd say the only reason Aisling is on 3 meals a day now and is polishing them off is because I caved to HV and GP pressure and started her on purees for the first5 weeks or so. She knows what food is and just knows she gets it in a different way now. In a way though, this is stressful too as she knows what food is, is hungry for it but doesn't have all the skills yet so I can't do the pure BLW without worrying the poor thing is starving! :dohh:

One thing that keeps me going is how amazed my MIL was when she saw Olivia take a bite from a piece of apple, then chew and swallow :thumbup: (My MIL thinks I am a mean mummy in many ways but not that day!!)

That is what I am waiting for! :D

i ordered my BLW 'bible' last night :happydance:

i know it wont b happening for months and i dont wanna wish Kians life along but i can't wait 4 the mess fest to begin! i love looking at all ur pics of BLW :blush:

i know it wont b happening for months and i dont wanna wish Kians life along but i can't wait 4 the mess fest to begin! i love looking at all ur pics of BLW :blush:

I was the same! Don't wanna wish time away but I was sooo excited about starting BLW. Didn't worry me about the mess, I was looking forward to it. But to my surprise, it really hasn't been that messy at all!

As for worrying about how much food Violet is/isn't taking... I'm not worried anymore. She is still very content on her milk and I really don't want to force food on her. In fact, I'm not comfortable with the thought of her having as much food as some of the pureed babies are having - it just seems way too much food and not enough milk. I dunno why I feel like that, I just don't find the thought of her eating that much very comforting! :shrug: (I don't mean that offensively in any way if it comes across like that!)

Mmmmm, broccoli, plum, baby sweetcorn and yoghurt...all together...

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/freya100509/yoghurt006-2.jpg

That pic is so cute!!
She looks like she's having fun!

How did she get on with it?

I was the same! Don't wanna wish time away but I was sooo excited about starting BLW. Didn't worry me about the mess, I was looking forward to it. But to my surprise, it really hasn't been that messy at all!

As for worrying about how much food Violet is/isn't taking... I'm not worried anymore. She is still very content on her milk and I really don't want to force food on her. In fact, I'm not comfortable with the thought of her having as much food as some of the pureed babies are having - it just seems way too much food and not enough milk. I dunno why I feel like that, I just don't find the thought of her eating that much very comforting! :shrug: (I don't mean that offensively in any way if it comes across like that!)

I totally agree, I am happier knowing that Freya is drinking a lot of milk rather than eating a lot of food. Both because I know she is getting enough fluid that way and I know her milk has plenty of calories anyway. She has also started drinking more milk than she ever has, so I am confident she is getting enough. I don't mind feeding her through the night (although I don't think the same at 3am!!). Lol.

I feel when babies are puree fed at a very young age they don't so much 'need' all that food, why not get the nutrition from milk? It annoys me when my family say things like I should have started weaning earlier (!!) I wish they could all read the 'bible'.

You will love reading it PS, I looked forward to it for ages before we started!

I think the mess is completely avoidable, I only really go for it when it is just before bath time, as I love to see Freya really getting into it! :lol:

That pic is so cute!!
She looks like she's having fun!

How did she get on with it?

Thanks, she loves the soya yoghurt (I think it tastes foul!) and is slowly getting to grips with the spoon. Despite giving her one to play with at meal times since she was 4.5 months she hasn't picked it up that easily! Still shoves the wrong end in her mouth and when I hold it out to her sticks her arms above her head and opens her mouth really wide :dohh:.

Perhaps Freya ought to read the bible!!

To be honest I hate the mess. I am constantly washing and cleaning which cuts down on the quality of time I can spend with Ruby. However what I have to remember is that I'm not spending hours chopping and pureeing fruit and veg and cleaning the blender!

Faille I guess I wouldn't be comfortable with Ruby eating 3 big meals a day either. At least we know milk is easily digested and gives them pretty much all they need.

We've decided we're not giving Ruby meat for a while yet. Not entirely sure why but neither OH nor I (meat eaters) feel comfortable with the idea...maybe I just worry it won't be cooked right, or she'll find it hard to digest...I dunno.

Thanks, she loves the soya yoghurt (I think it tastes foul!) and is slowly getting to grips with the spoon. Despite giving her one to play with at meal times since she was 4.5 months she hasn't picked it up that easily! Still shoves the wrong end in her mouth and when I hold it out to her sticks her arms above her head and opens her mouth really wide :dohh:.

Perhaps Freya ought to read the bible!!

Aww bless her! Sounds so cute (altho annoying for you haha!)

We had scrambled egg on toast yesterday for lunch and a yogurt.. Violet hadn't quite finished with her toast so didn't want to take the spoon off me so I put it on the tray. To my amazement, she actually picked it up at the right end and got it in her mouth! I was soo proud :cloud9: Most probably just a total fluke tho lol

We've given Violet quite a bit of meat.. She has chicken, mince and bacon (we don't eat anything else apart from occassional beef burger but she's not had those). But then the chicken is always pre-diced (no chicken breats or legs etc) so I know it's cooked well and the mince and bacon can't really be undercooked (not the way I do it anyway :lol:). Oh and eggs if you count them as meat.

I just think it's important to do whatever you're comfortable with. As if you're not comfortable with them eating something (whether it's meat or 'small' food etc) then they'll pick up on it and think there's something to be uncomfortable about iykwim?

Freya just had her best meal ever! :happydance:

We had lasagne so she had some of that but I also did her (and me, lol) some roast vegetables, she had butternut squash, potato, broccoli and tomato, with sliced plum and pear for pudding.

She swallowed loads! She was going mad for the broccoli and potato, she wouldn't touch broccoli the other day, so I am well pleased. Although at the end she did her worst bit of choking so far, she dealt with it herself and after a bit managed to cough up a huge bit of potato skin! Oops...:blush:

:D

Yay! That's great Kirsten. I bet you're chuffed! I'm always so excited when Ruby eats, I find it hard not to praise her for it, as the Bible says not to!
I haven't tried Ruby with potato yet, think I will do soon.
We had the rest of yesterday's dhal earlier, she swallowed some of that and some bread.
Her chewing seems to have come on a lot in the last couple of days too. I'm surprised Ruby liked it, it's hardly bland food. Just shows how unnecessary bland tastes are I guess.

God, sounds like everyone's doing really well today! :happydance:

We tried Aisling with chicken and steak so far, sometimes she really enjoys them, others she just spits them back out. I get the impression she sometimes can't be bothered doing the necessary chewing, it's just too much hard work! :lol:

I think Freya has a new favourite food - raspberries! I bought some frozen ones as I wasn't sure if she's actually eat them or not, then just lightly squashed them so they weren't so round and chokable on, lol. She ate so many! I was surprised, as if they were for me I would have put sugar on, but she didn't even make her 'this is sour mummy' face! :rofl:

:happydance:

omg omg its getting close now ladies !!I am soooooo super excited !!!LOL, so Daisy is noe 22and a half weeks so the 24 week mark isnt far off....we were in Burger King (i know i know really naughty:blush:) and she was having a BF and she kept pulling off n trying to swipe my fries off me !!LOL i was laughing my head off at her ! it was proper cute...at one point she grabbed my hand and took it straight to her mouth and had a huge chomp on me !!

she has taken to tring to nick my cup of tea off me too - once i am finished i let her grab it and again it goes stright to her mouth and she trys to tip it up!!LOL she's been playing with her sippy cup with a fair amount of accuracy too:) sooooooo soooooo excited!!! so a quick q to everyone, what was everyones first few foods ??? i know she wont be eating for a good time yet but i'm a bit confused as to what i should be giving her to 'play' with first.......

did i mention i'm a little excited :blush:

Hi Sara! :hi: Don't worry, I think most of us were just as excited about starting off!!

I started with bits of apple and banana. That way you haven't gone to trouble preparing it if she's not at all interested although it doesn't sound like that's going to be a problem! The other thing that's gone down really well is homemade sweet potato wedges, I'd definitely recommend that.

We had chicken satay stir fry tonight and she loved it! :happydance: She grabbed a bit of chicken as soon as it was put in front of her and ate the entire thing nearly in one go! :shock: She also manged to get some noodles in her mouth which is progress and I could see her trying out the pincer grip although she couldnt quite get it to work. Might not be far off now though :D

yeah i was thinking sweet potato - i bought some the other day for us to try - i loved it but rob the pain that he is doesnt :dohh: lol we also have a slight problem in that we still dont have a high chair!!!:dohh: thankfully my dad has my little bro's that he said we can have....and great news the tray comes off so she can sit right up at the table :) omg i cant wait....... :)

wow Aisling sounds like she is really enjoying her food :thumbup: and well done at the pincer grip coming along :happydance:

dex still wont eat, spoke to my mum today and apparently I wasnt interested in food and my oh was the same. booo

Freya's first foods were apple, banana, normal and sweet potato wedges, her current favourite butternut squash wedges, roast carrot...that sort of stuff. I was excited for months Sara!

Go Aisling with her almost pincering! :happydance:

dex still wont eat, spoke to my mum today and apparently I wasnt interested in food and my oh was the same. booo

Ruby won't really eat either, don't worry. Some days she eats a tiny bit, but mostly she's not interested :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->