BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I am getting very excited. Read half of the BLW book last night and I am considering dropping the puree all together now and upping his milk feeds for a few weeks and then starting again.

Although I do have to battle this out with my OH!

I am getting very excited. Read half of the BLW book last night and I am considering dropping the puree all together now and upping his milk feeds for a few weeks and then starting again.

Like I said, DH was really pushing for me to start giving her purees etc at one point. After seeing her feeding herself a couple of times he soon shut up, and is actually now a big advocate of BLW, I heard him telling other mums about it at our babygroup last week :rofl:

Just keep reminding him that they don't "need" food for the first year so there's absolutely no rush to start and if you do start now on puree then it'll only be starting for the sake of starting as hunger is easily controlled by milk at the moment and it will take a fair few more months before your LO will even associate hunger with food.

Or just shove the bible in his face and tell him to read it for himself!! :lol:

we went to tesco today after some pj's for mil's birthday and after we had finished we decided to go to the cafe for some lunch. They have started the xmas dinners so dh and i had one each and they do kids jam sandwiches so i got ern one to nibble on.

I sat ern on my knee and gave him a triangle of his sandwich which he demolished=then he spotted my dinner so i gave him a parsnip.....he loves parsnips!!! which he sucked the life out of:haha: dh gave him one too, then he made a grab for my plate and grabbed a handful of turkey:haha: and shoved it in his mouth!!

There was an elderly lady sitting watching him with great interest!!! that was our first proper foray into the world of blw outside the house and ern seemed to love it!!

I'm glad your first adventure of BLW outside of the house went so well! Parsnips seem to be a firm fave with our lot in here :lol:

Thanks girls :) Will talk with him when he wakes up ... tell him all the things I've been learning! :)

I'll get my own way in the end LMAO cos it's me who sorts all the food etc out anyway :p

Loving hearing about al your success stories girls, will be spending lots of time hear I think. Getting ideas ans such! Thanks

Yeah, my OH is now a big advocate of BLW even though Ruby is not all that interested yet. It was certainly easier to convince him to do BLW than when I suggested using cloth nappies, lol

Argh, I just typed a long post and lost it :(

Basically, Olivia scoffed a mini ricecake yesterday, and must have swallowed some of it cos it was half gone with no mess...I didn't think they swallowed for ages???

My question is, do I now start properly offering foods or carry on sitting her on my knee for her to help herself from my plate?

Glad it's going well for you all :hugs:

Well DH is convinced :)
To prove my point that they aren't that fussed by foods yet I chopped up some apple and popped a few bits on his tray. The look on his face when he touched it was hilarious.. like what the hell is that lol. He tried so hard to pick it up but just kept slipping from his grip. Too slimey I think. DH then decided to put to to LO mouth even tho I said no, Joshua gave it a good old sucking then tried to do it himself but still couldnt master holding it.

So excited :)

ok so you know how i said Daisy was swiping at food and my drinks etc......................well :blush: we went to wetherspoons tonight and i had fish n chips and daisy nicked one of my chips, shoved it in her mouth and had a good suck and chew !!!!!!!!:shock::shhh: so looks like she is getting ready to start !!! i was so shocked and also a bit guilty too :dohh::dohh:

ah well she definately wants to be a BLW baby :D

Well done Dex! :happydance:

Lucy, you could just keep offering finger foods at the moment and make the switch when you feel the time is right. You could just swap out certain meals at the moment too if you want.

Basically, Olivia scoffed a mini ricecake yesterday, and must have swallowed some of it cos it was half gone with no mess...I didn't think they swallowed for ages???

My question is, do I now start properly offering foods or carry on sitting her on my knee for her to help herself from my plate?

i'd carry on with the playing for a bit, dex used to scoff rice cakes but i waited a while before proper food.

tmi coming up:

today i gave dex carrots using the jagged cut method mentioned by op recently. it worked a treat, he ate loads of it and I know he did cause i changed his nappy before bed and it was littered with chunks of carrot. when i opened the nappy I was slightly grossed out. haha

tmi coming up:

today i have dex carrots using the jagged cut method mentioned by op recently. it worked a treat, he ate loads of it and I know he did cause i changed his nappy before bed and it was littered with chunks of carrot. when i opened the nappy I was slightly grossed out. haha

Haha such a gross but exciting stage!!

It's possible that she swallowed by accident - she probably didn't mean to do it iygwim? (sorry, stupid question but are rice cakes like quavers where they just kinda dissolve..?)

I'd just let her play with bits of food tbh and not actually start giving her her own food just yet, so personally I'd just keep her on your knee if she's happy (and you are!) doing that x

hi everyone, first post in this section!

think the baby police are gonna come after me! just rang HV as wanted to know what foods i should avoid giving zack.... anyway she stared going on about 3 stages of weaning to which i said im not doing purees im doing baby led and at the moment just giving zack food to play with for sensory etc she was sooo shocked and didnt seem to want to help me then!

so girls help! pllleeassee first finger foods ive got

banana
carrots
pitta bread? or should i wait till 6 months for any bread?

thanks

a slightly confused mum who is awaiting her book in the post

xx

Hi Missy85, how old is he? I gave Sofia carrot and red pepper sticks to play with a couple of weeks before her half birthday (hee hee), I think I probably did give bread based things just a couple of days before she was 6 months. At first they'll just be playing and sucking anyway.

He is 5 months now.. pepper sticks sound good!

thanks

just want a little variety for him :)

He is 5 months now.. pepper sticks sound good!

thanks

just want a little variety for him :)

Shame about your HV's attitude towards BLW. I was very lucky and the whole clinic is very very supportive of it and are actually actively encouraging all parents who go to try it!

For first foods, we done banana (but don't make my mistake and take the skin off.. She spent god knows how long chasing it around her tray!), cucumber, apple and yeah peppers are good and toast was also one of the first things we gave.

thank you!

Luckily she isn't the HV i normally chat to! my usual HV who i mentioned this to hasn't questioned me :)

It is a shame though as it is such a natural way in my eyes!

My HV had never heard of BLW and when I explained it, she said 'you're brave!' errr why?
We gave Ruby some tendersteam broccoli to play with before we started 'properly'.

I wasn't going to jump the gun in case it was a fluke but for the least few days, Violet hasn't finished one bottle.. There's always at least 1oz left.

Yesterday, there were 2 bottles with 2oz's left and 2 bottles with 1oz left. She's definately eating so much more now!

Hopefully the decrease in milk is because she's eating more and not because of the teething.. I'm still not 100% confident that I'm not overfeeding her :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->