BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I'm not sure how it would be possible to overfeed her? She's deciding how much of her solids to take, and she wouldn't drink her milk if she wasn't hungry.
Ruby's milk intake really varies anyway, she occasionally refuses a bottle altogether and often only takes 5oz of the 9oz she is offered....and she's barely eating anything.

It's possible to overfeed with formula according to the bible and my HV so it's something I'm slightly worried about because she doesn't always seem as interested in her milk but still takes it anyway.

I thought the bible said it was wiggling the teat and activating their sucking reflex that caused overfeeding. I've also heard people saying you should use slow flow teats to avoid overfeeding but Ruby will only drink out of fast flow ones. :(
Hmmm...I don't know how you would know if your baby is being overfed!

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what the bible says but sometimes she'll kinda loose her grip on the teat so I've got to take it out her mouth and put it in again - I'm not sure if that causes the sucking reflex like wiggling the teat does!

I think the main signs for overfeeding (from what I can find online) are the baby being sick (not spitting up, actually sick) and rising legs to stomach / stomach pain after a feed.

Violet doesn't do either but I still don't feel 100% confident.. probably because she's so big (and I keep forgetting that's because she's so long!). This overfeeding thing is the only thing I'm paranoid about :dohh: :lol:

Ruby latches off the bottle mid feed, most feeds, but I think that's because she's so distracted and wants to look around!
Ruby is 21lb 3oz and the HV has always been of the attitude that her being that big is a good thing, but then again she lives the dark ages :(

dex is only 18lbs but then he is bf and we are both small. I am overweight but I have a very small waist and bone structure. My boyfriend is very slender. I think now is to early to decide if a baby is overweight unless it is very obvious. it's not like you are feeding your lo's loads of solids.

Violet was 19lb and half an oz last Tues and I keep getting told that if she wasn't as long as she is then she'd be classed as fat :growlmad:

I always seem to get the third degree about how much she's eating from the HVs and always told not to give her any more milk as she doesn't need *any*more. I think it's their attitude that makes me paranoid, not Violets behavior tbh.

On a seperate note, I've been trying to use up the food that come with the 6m bounty pack so gave Violet the banana and pear breakfast this morning mixed with cereal... She hated it lol and she made sure I knew what she thought :lol:

haha, i love when babies do that. today we had grapes, tomato, carrots, cucumber and rice cakes. dex didnt like the grapes but loves the tomato. It is the first time he has had them and he put it in his mouth, looked absolutely shocked then decided he loved them.

i didnt think for 6 months 19lbs is fat.

Tomatos are a winner here too!

How do you give them to Dex? For Violet, I give her the end but with all the seeds cut out and she goes mad chewing on it lol

Freya likes tomato, but she has them with the seeds in, just sliced up. Is there a reason for not giving the seeds? :blush:

I just don't give her anything with seeds in because I'm not comfortable with the choking hazard of them

I'm not sure whether it's a "problem" to give with the seeds, I'm just personally not comfortable with that! x

Yes that's what I thought... I've been giving Ruby bread that has loads of little seeds in!
But as Faille says...you've got to go with what you feel comfortable with.

Yeah that's fine then. She has things like tomato seeds and raspberry seeds. They just get stuck on her face! :lol:

Oh - Last night I found a downside to BLW, I always bath with Freya and I'm not sure I'm too comfortable sharing my bath with half our dinner too! :rofl: She gets stuff up her sleeves, in her hair, stuck down her top, and there were loads of bits in the bath :sick: We always do a proper messy meal for tea time as I know she has a bath after, but it's gross!

:rofl:

Ha ha, not sure I'd want to bath with half my dinner either!

Kirsten I've finally persauded the other half that we need a Tripp Trapp.:) :) However I'm very confused...OK so I buy the chair, but I've also seen a 'baby set'...do you know if I need to buy that too? Thanks!

Yeah you need the baby set, it has a higher back, the normal set just has a bar across the back. :)

You should also get a harness, but we don't have one yet. I'm sure I should be getting one, but not sure I can bring myself to spend £25 on it! Freya shows no signs of jumping out anytime soon though, lol, and there's no way she can get out the bottom end.

:)

Thanks. I think I'll get a harness, in for a penny, in for a pound!

I'm so annoyed with myself for not looking into getting one of these before, now we have the stupid other highchair to get rid of somehow, and there are lots on ebay for like £5 with no bids :( It might be a case of, 'free to anyone who'll come and take it off me!'

Thanks. I think I'll get a harness, in for a penny, in for a pound!

I'm so annoyed with myself for not looking into getting one of these before, now we have the stupid other highchair to get rid of somehow, and there are lots on ebay for like £5 with no bids :( It might be a case of, 'free to anyone who'll come and take it off me!'

put it on freecycle x

Gave Joshua a chunk of banana on his highchair this evening while we were having our dinner. He touched it and his face was again hilarious... it was sliding everywhere. The concentration on his face was the cutest. :) Was trying not to watch him cos it would put him off but it was hard cos he looked so cute!

What a mess we both made...i had a play with him to! LMAO can't wait till we're doing it properly. Think I'm gonna enjou the mess

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->