BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I eat out with Alasdair. I pull the highchair up to the table (antibac wiped!) and just put some of what I order in front of him. I usually end up asking for a dust pan and brush lol.

When we're out for the day I tend to take a lot of finger food as opposed to the more adult meals he eats as home. So he'll have berries, grapes or cut up fruit, bite size veggies and sandwich quarters. I give him things 1 at a time or let him choose from a selection but just let him hold one thing at a time iykwim.

any of you attempted to eat out so far? I imagine it could be quite messy!

I have with Oliver, but he isn't on proper meals yet. I just pop a muslin on my knee and he sits there and eats. He seems to enjoy eating out, for some odd reason!

Oliver is eating quite well now. Like I said, nit proper meals yet, but he's getting there. He ae a whole bowl of yoghurt this morning, which I was so proud about! It took a while to learn how to spoon feed himself, but he's got there. I give him a loaded spoon, he puts it straight in his mouth and sucks off the contents, then either gives it bck to me, or throws it on the mat. When he's finished, he just bangs the spoon on the tray and that is that! So clever.
He now loves butternut squash, sweet potato, toast (with any topping - humous, honey, cream cheese, egg), cucumber, pepper, carrot, broccoli, pear, apple, banana.
I may try him on some of our bolgnaise tonight, now that I know he can spoon feed himself. It actually all feels quite liberating! Was a little upset this morning though, when he didn't want a milk feed after his yoghurt!

We ate out with Alfie while we were on holiday and i just gave him the veg off my plate or ordered a side order of veg for him, i just sat him on my knee. I'm an expert at 1 handed eating now haha. He ate the most he's eaten so far on holiday it was fab, he had watermelon, apple, banana, bread, brocc, carrots, pepper. :happydance:

hi ladies!! i've not read all the way thru the thread yet, but i need some help!!

spoke to the HV today cos katie's refusing purees atm and i can only really get her to eat toast and rice cakes :dohh: she suggested that she wants to be more independant and to give her finger foods, but i dont raelly have a clue where to start!

she suggested giving strips of chicken which i was a bit :shock: about cos i always thought you had to get meat really smooth. but she said chicken's fine cos she can chew and it breaks down quite easily.

so i need a bit of advice on going about doing meals. do i do her some chicken and brocolli and put them on her highchair tray?? bloody typical that i'd just made her up 30days worth of meals pureed down in the freezer!!

any advice would be so gratefully received!!!!

hi ladies!! i've not read all the way thru the thread yet, but i need some help!!

spoke to the HV today cos katie's refusing purees atm and i can only really get her to eat toast and rice cakes :dohh: she suggested that she wants to be more independant and to give her finger foods, but i dont raelly have a clue where to start!

she suggested giving strips of chicken which i was a bit :shock: about cos i always thought you had to get meat really smooth. but she said chicken's fine cos she can chew and it breaks down quite easily.

so i need a bit of advice on going about doing meals. do i do her some chicken and brocolli and put them on her highchair tray?? bloody typical that i'd just made her up 30days worth of meals pureed down in the freezer!!

any advice would be so gratefully received!!!!

I was just about to post the same thing i have no idea on the finger foods and could really use your help please ladies !

just give them anything! You might find they don't do so well with meat just yet, Alasdair is 10 months, has 8 teeth and still isn't great with meat. Give it a go tho, they get a lot of the nutrients just from gumming it apparently!

i do give her a lot of what we eat atm, i just dont know what to do about meals! i didnt think they'd be able to chew meat, but according to HV they can!

I have with Oliver, but he isn't on proper meals yet. I just pop a muslin on my knee and he sits there and eats. He seems to enjoy eating out, for some odd reason!

Oliver is eating quite well now. Like I said, nit proper meals yet, but he's getting there. He ae a whole bowl of yoghurt this morning, which I was so proud about! It took a while to learn how to spoon feed himself, but he's got there. I give him a loaded spoon, he puts it straight in his mouth and sucks off the contents, then either gives it bck to me, or throws it on the mat. When he's finished, he just bangs the spoon on the tray and that is that! So clever.
He now loves butternut squash, sweet potato, toast (with any topping - humous, honey, cream cheese, egg), cucumber, pepper, carrot, broccoli, pear, apple, banana.
I may try him on some of our bolgnaise tonight, now that I know he can spoon feed himself. It actually all feels quite liberating! Was a little upset this morning though, when he didn't want a milk feed after his yoghurt!

Thats so impressive that he learnt how to spoon feed! This thread is great Im looking forward to weaning now.

i do give her a lot of what we eat atm, i just dont know what to do about meals! i didnt think they'd be able to chew meat, but according to HV they can!

Hun, just go slowly, slowly. Try her with big chunks of things like broccoli, carrot, pear etc. If I give toast I always put something like humous or cream cheese on it. Just let her lead the way. If she throws it on the floor, just pu it back on her tray. She will let you know when she's done. And never put food in her mouth. Just let her explore it and put it in her own mouth in her own time. And the bigger the better too. Enough so that some is held in her fist and the same again is poking out of the top.
I have spent the last 5-6 weeks doing this and I swear, the difference is amazing. He eats what he wants, when he wants and hasn't turned his nose up at anything yet!
Have a look at Baby Led Weaning by Gill Rapley - amazing book and makes weaning easy (I swear, I should be on comission for this book!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Baby-led-W...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243510357&sr=8-1

If you want to pm me, please do. Good luck hun!!!

Thats so impressive that he learnt how to spoon feed! This thread is great Im looking forward to weaning now.

Oh hun, it's such fun! I was worried for a few weeks, as progress was so slow. But just this last week, it's really taken hold and we're both really enjoying it!

well we had a sucess at lunch time!! decided to give her what we were having, well we had something she could eat. so it was pasta, broccolli and tomato sauce! she loved it, plunged her hands straight in there and was shoving everything into her mouth!! she particularly loved the brocoli! i was so impressed, she hasnt shown that much interest in food in ages! i'm covered in bleedin tomatoes now mind! there was no throwin or anythin which i expected!!

Thats brilliant! katie obviously loves her food! I haven't tried just giving him a plate of anything yet. Perhaps I should just go for it! I've just made fish fingers for his tea, so will give it a go tomorrow.

I had never heard of blw before reading this thread but love it !

i have been giving logan the purees for the past few weeks and he loves them but tonight i decieded to see how he would get on with finger foods , i gave him broccoli , carrot and grean beans. He loved it ! he actually ate the brocoli and loved playing with the rest , i think we will be having a go for a while to see how we get on !

I had never heard of blw before reading this thread but love it !

i have been giving logan the purees for the past few weeks and he loves them but tonight i decieded to see how he would get on with finger foods , i gave him broccoli , carrot and grean beans. He loved it ! he actually ate the brocoli and loved playing with the rest , i think we will be having a go for a while to see how we get on !

Brilliant. Glad to know we have been of some help! I have no idea where I heard of it to start with. I just know I have been planning to do it since the beginning!

I've only just looked this up and I like the idea. Kai's already watching our plates like a hawk, if he can hang on for a few more weeks then it'll be all systems go!

well, 3 meals today!! i honeslty cant reember the last time we had 3 meals! had a roast at my mums so she had the veg, carot and swede mash, peas and broad beans. oh my god she made a right mess, but she loved it!!! i thought my mum was going to go mental, but she just let her get on with it! so yay! well chuffed!

well, 3 meals today!! i honeslty cant reember the last time we had 3 meals! had a roast at my mums so she had the veg, carot and swede mash, peas and broad beans. oh my god she made a right mess, but she loved it!!! i thought my mum was going to go mental, but she just let her get on with it! so yay! well chuffed!

Fab!Looks like it's onwards and upwards for Katie!
I think our holiday this week will be a turning point for us. Lots of great outdoors and new things to try. I just have a feeling it will do us the world of good with his feeding!

ooo where you going kat? i think holidays are great for babies and food cos a lot of the food you get they can have cos its nice and simple! and quite finger friendly too!! i cant believe oliver's nearly 7 months! you were so lucky having him on time, i was so jealous!

ooo where you going kat? i think holidays are great for babies and food cos a lot of the food you get they can have cos its nice and simple! and quite finger friendly too!! i cant believe oliver's nearly 7 months! you were so lucky having him on time, i was so jealous!

:rofl:

We're of to Devon, so no fancy meditteranian food! But we'll be able to chuck him nd his high chair outside and he can mess as much as he likes. Plus, I'm sure sitting with 6 adults and 2 toddlers will give him insentive to eat and lots of people to watch and copy!!

i don't know much about BLW but have been kind of doing a bit of both, making up purees and giving him bits too, bannana, broccoli pieces, we went out for dinner the other night and he had a fahijta wrap to suck on he bloody loved it! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->