BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Has anyone tried Quasedillas?? was gonna make some sometime next week?? any experiences?

s
xxxxxx

ooh i love them, just dunno how suitable it will be this early on :) trick is to only use a teeeeeeny bit of oil or you can grill them instead of frying :)

I was going to make some stuff to spread on toast, but then I discovered frozen fruit, which I just defrost and squash a bit so it's pretty bitty and lumpy still but not whole, if that makes sense?! It goes great in yoghurt/rice cakes/toast. I just keep it in the freezer and grab a little handful whenever she wants it. Great stuff.

What houmous does everone use? The one I looked at had salt in it. Can't seem to find a good one.

Yeah, tbh hommous has got less-than-ideal levels of salt in. I just picked Waitrose organic one. While Ruby is only eating tiny amounts I figured a bit wouldn't hurt, most of it got thrown everywhere anyway.

But when she's eating more I'll make my own - chick peas, garlic, olive oil, and tahini paste in the blender. But I will probably have to salt mine when she's not looking, or maybe add a herb like coriander to make it taste a bit less bland.

Does anyone use organic foods? I find myself buying them when I didn't previously. Anyone know whether it is really worth the extra expense / particularly beneficial for babies? Most jars of baby food seem to be organic. I only know that organic milk is better...not sure about fruit and veg etc.

Oh and another question - we're not supposed to give citrus fruits right? Do you think we still have to avoid it cooked or in tiny amounts, like the fruit spread I bought, I noticed it contains lemon juice, as the last ingredient on the list.

Hummus is soooo easy to make! Keeps 3 days in the fridge:

400g canned chickpeas (retain some of the juice)
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tahini (optional if you don't want to give sesame yet)
1 tsp salt
crushed garlic clove

Blend blend blend!!

Avoiding citrus is to do with the devloping gut not being able to take it. I think it should be fine in small amounts but if you notice really runny poos than avoid it.

Oh, and I take a few spoonsfulls out and put to the side for Sofia before adding the salt and blending again.

The bible says it's fine from 6 months... give it a go and see.

whats wrong with citrus fruits?

i make my own spicey hommous with chick peas, garlic, carotina oil (or sometimes olive oil), garlic paste and chilli. i don't add salt to mine, i think the chilli means it doesn't need it.

i also add stuff like cummin and garam masala powder so its a bit curry flavoured or sometimes sundried tomato paste and paprika etc

also roasted aubergine, sundried tomatoes, chickpeas and paprika mushed together makes a nice veggie pate :)

Mmm, sounds good purple_socks! Sofia loves chickpeas, she can't get enough of them, we use them a lot - they're a really good source of iron too.

Sofia eats clementines no problem, she hasn't had any reaction from them, and I've added lemon juice to a lot of her foods.

If her gut can cope with it, I'd be very surprised if any other baby had a problem... she was born without a working bowel, in fact it didn't work until she was a couple of weeks old and she had surgery on her birthday. Her stomach hasn't had a problem dealing with any of the foods I've given her, and she's had a wide range! Proof for me that the "normal" weaning route is completely unnecessary.

it's lovely reading how well it's all going for everyone!

:) never thought of hommous...I hate it but could be a good one!

BTW what age can they have bread from?

Was thinking of ideas for what to put the puree I have on so he's feeding it himself. Rice cakes again today

Yeah I gave toast to Violet from early on.

Toast is better than bread as some breads can get stuck to the roof of your mouth or clumps together in big balls so you might want to avoid bread unless you know the one you get doesn't do that. (We use the Warburtons wholemeal one which doesn't do that, think white bread is more prone to doing that).

Yeah I was thinking toasted tbh because of the sticking the roof of your mouth when it gets soggy. It's gross! LOL

it is good to avoid things like cows milk, wheat, citrus fruits and seafood if you have a history of allergies in the family. I have eczema, lactose intolerance, asthma, hayfever, dust allergey etc so I am avoiding all that until about 9 months to a year. He did have bit of wheat once and he came out in blotches so I wont be doing that again.

Yeah, tbh hommous has got less-than-ideal levels of salt in. I just picked Waitrose organic one. While Ruby is only eating tiny amounts I figured a bit wouldn't hurt, most of it got thrown everywhere anyway.

But when she's eating more I'll make my own - chick peas, garlic, olive oil, and tahini paste in the blender. But I will probably have to salt mine when she's not looking, or maybe add a herb like coriander to make it taste a bit less bland.

Does anyone use organic foods? I find myself buying them when I didn't previously. Anyone know whether it is really worth the extra expense / particularly beneficial for babies? Most jars of baby food seem to be organic. I only know that organic milk is better...not sure about fruit and veg etc.

We were going to use organic foods but to be honest I don't, except for carrots. Apparently they really soak up pesticides. I am also avoiding soya too it contains major amounts of pesticide. I am in a dilema as I dont want to give cow's milk but I dont want to give soy either. I am thinking about stopping bf soon so I dunno what to do really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->