BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

totally off subject but after dinner today dex had his bath etc before bed. Usually i feed him to sleep or if he is being ancy I rock him. Anyway today he was not having either so usually if this happens I battle with him for ages, he cries etc but I decided enough was enough and I had to put him in his cot . I was expecting a full on screaming fit but instead I shushed and patted him for about 10 mins and he actually fell asleep with no crying and not much fuss. Very out of the norm. Recently I have been kinda slightly waking him after a feed and then putting him in his cot. He also seems to be wanting to put down straight even when he is asleep.

Sorry to post here but this is like a breakthrough for me and I wasn't even really trying.

That's great Sublime! It shows that babies will do things when they ready sometimes, not because of what we did or didn't do. Ruby actually had no routine whatsoever when she started sleeping through, she was obviously just ready. :)

I don't think it's a prob to post here. I've posted things not to do with BLW too :)

i have a question about cow's milk. If some of you are waiting for allergy reasons when are you planning to give it? I am gonna stay off wheat for quite a while but cow I want to introduce a lot sooner so dex is not completely intolerant. he will mainly be having goat's milk though.

I don't know, I think I will be giving her tiny amounts of it regularly from about 9 months, but just not large amounts. Same with wheat for us. I don't think large amounts of cows milk or wheat are necessary for anyone though.

me neither. my friends g/f was telling me about her wheat intolerance. from when she was very little she had fits and numbness/tingling on the right side of her body. it later surfaced when she was 30 that is was a wheat allergy. How scary is that. for years I have suffered from numbness/tingling down the left side of my body so much so that i often thought i had a heart problem. I am now going completely of gluten to see if it helps.

did you know what aggravates rheumatoid arthritis?

did anyone know this about corn? I found this after i gave dex corn tonight. oops

https://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/introduce-corn-to-baby.html

Is that an American website? Over there they seem to advise against giving a whole load of things to under 1s, whereas they say it's fine from 6m over here. I don't understand why Americans recommend weaning at 4m but then they say don't give all these different things until a year, I am confused.

Well I've given Ruby corn and she's been fine so I guess she isn't allergic.

Hm, Freya has had corn too without anything happening. Baby corn mostly.

My mum has had digestive problems all her life, and about five years ago realised it was a wheat/gluten intolerance, she is soooo much better now she doesn't eat it.

Well done dex! :)

Can i have a little moan?
Was over at my Mum's for dinner yesterday and I took Joshua's highchair and while we were eating our dinner I gave him some cucumber, and he had some puree sweet potato and parsnip which he wasn't keen on. Think was parsnip. wasn't bothered that he didn't eat it, he was happy sucking on the cucumber. Anyway my sister arrived to say hi and started feeding him potato from my plate (don't mind so much) but she didn't ask and she was feeding him and was kinda scraping the food off the spoon with the top of his mouth/lip and i really don't like that. If i offer him the food on the spoon I let him close his mouth around it and take what he wants from the spoon most of the time he takes the spoon off me anyway.

I was telling her and my Mum that he was playing with a piece of brocoli and was really enjoyiing sucking on it, and my sister said 'that's so cruel?' I mean WTF? how is it cruel?
I haven't told her that I'm doing BLW, cos I know she was have too much to say and I can't be doing with it. Seriously tho i don't get how it's cruel?

Anyway rant over! Sorry
it's going well though, he is trying most things I offer... or playing with them at least. Don't think he's swallowed anything yet but it's all good. I am giving puree and giving him something like rice cake/ cucumber and dipping them in it and he can then suck the puree off them :)

No, I don't see anything cruel about letting a baby play with broccolli either! LOL I must be cruel too!

I can't believe your sister gave him food without asking you first, I don't understand that:( My family are always asking me if they can feed Ruby or put food in her mouth, I just keep repeating that that isn't how we do things, she is capable of feeding herself if she wants what is offered. My mum is currently reading the bible which is good.

Sofia would disagree with your sister over the broccoli!

Yes, I've noticed from threads on here that the US has a long list of things you can't give to babies.

My Mum would always ask before feeding him anything to... maybe i should lend my bible around to :p

LOL @ us cruel mummies :p

Yay, Sofia finally pooed this morning and then feasted at lunch! Bless her, she was like mmmmmm fooooooood! She ate almost a whole stick of cheese, which was about 10cm long and 2cm wide and there was a 3cm nub left after she'd finished with it! She managed the rye bread no probs, she picks up little bits and puts them in her mouth now, guess I hadn't tried it in a while. She had some courgettes left over from yesterday, she loves them and then a little bit of ham which she really really likes. Had to give her a bit of my sandwich because she was shouting at me, guess she knew it was different, so she got her first taste of branston pickle!!

Then she finished with half a clementine. She's been eating them for a couple of weeks but for some reason today I worried for the first time they might be a choking hazard. She sucks out the insides then chucks the skins. What do you think?

Ruby does exactly the same with clementines, she really loves that! I don't see how they could be a choking hazard?

Wow not around for a few days and look how much there is to catch up on :lol:

Violet done the whole puking whilst eating thing yesterday.... She was gagging really bad and it made her sick. :sick: I hate the smell of baby sick!!!

We had a bit of a breakthrough (not BLW unfortunately!) - she's been getting really bad nappy rash which kept on recurring and it started the same time as 3 new things happened..... She started BLW, follow on milk and we swapped to Pampers active fit nappies.

We couldn't work out what was causing the nappy rash and I was starting to think it was the follow on milk because of the added extras.... But it's not, it's the nappies! Switched back to Huggies and it's almost cleared within two days. It got to the stage where she was crying if we touched it and she's never ever like that, she always enjoys her nappy being changed.

Anyway.... back to BLW.. We had egg mayo sandwiches for lunch and she actually managed to pick one bit up as a proper sandwich, although the egg didn't stay in for long :lol:

Does anyone know whether it's safe to give sultanas? I can't remember if there's anything in the bible but I'm not sure on this one!

Love reading how everyone's getting on. Go Olivia and Sofia with the pincer grip action and it's good to hear that Ruby is doing so well in her new chair!

I think with clementines I would take the thin skin off and then give her the segment, I know a baby who ended up in hospital after he choked on one :( I reckon they must be the same size as their throat?

omg how is giving brocolli cruel?? if it is i have been a very bad mama tonight! Daisy had some broccoli anout 20 mns ago and was fairly going for it - she shoved the whole lot in her mouth !LOL really funny bless her she spat the lot out then tried to do it again but thistime bit a massive bit off and gagged on it and :sick: loads!! poo thing - she was sat in her bumbo naked from the waist down and when we lifted her put to clean her she had broccoli in her bits and in her bum cheeks!!!!LOL poor thing, i couldnt help but laugh at her tho :dohh:

she still went back for more tho :yipee:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"