BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I still can't believe her with the spoon, lol, surely she should want to do it herself?! I have only put it in her mouth about 3 times ever, so it's not like she's used to it, it just takes so long holding it in front if her before she grabs it. When she does get it, it goes in her mouth sooooo fast!

Violet is actually get like that at the moment. I've never put a spoon in her mouth but she seems to be opening her mouth and waiting for me to put it in.. I dunno where she's got that from, she's never been spoonfed! She used to take it instantly so we seem to be going backwards lol

It's getting to the stage where I have to touch her hand with it otherwise she'll just sit there waiting lol. So at the moment I'm either touching her hand with it or I'll just put it on her tray - there's no way I'm doing it for her!

Thank god it's not just me! Yeah if I put it in front of her she sometimes gets it, sometimes she gets the wrong end, lol. Yeah I am not going to do it for her! :dohh:

You know what, the other night I looked up an old 'Ask a Mum' thread about BLW, a couple of the ladies said their babies suddenly seemed to want to be fed, but they were saying they thought it was just a game? Who knows. Ruby won't open her mouth for anything I am trying to get into it, apart from a bottle. We have all sorts of fun and games trying to get medicine into her and to clean her teeth. We have to sing songs and get her to smile / laugh so her mouth is a bit open. I feel really bad forcing her to do anything but both these things are in her interest I guess.

I have given up with spoons actually because Ruby just chews on them like she would a finger food and whatever was on it just falls off.

Hm. I have had a read through the Ask a Mum, but not recently. I will have another look. Freya lets me do her teeth (well, gums) then she has a good chomp on the brush, lol.

Funny how they are all so different with it. I end up getting a spoon out most meals now as Freya is the opposite to Ruby, she treats things that are hard like breadsticks like spoons, she sucks it then drops it. Not the same with stuff like veg though. Quite annoying!

Yeah, I was a bit worried about the spoon confusing her, and I wanted her to learn to chew before giving her foods on a spoon that didn't need chewing if that makes any sense. She chews surprisingly well though, but quite a lot of food tends to fall out of her mouth while she is chewing, I guess that's a step up from spitting food out though!

I might stop using a spoon for a bit I think. I will have to start putting stuff like yoghurt and houmous on rice cakes or something. I don't think she's going to be eating as much at Christmas as I thought she might be by then, we are spending Christmas Day with the inlaws, who are really negative about BLW. I was hoping she would show them how much she does eat sometimes, but I'm not so sure now!

Yeah I've been trying not to build Christmas dinner up into a big event for Ruby because for all I know she might be asleep! She has recently started having long lunchtime naps.

Do everyone just let their baby sleep if they're tired at a mealtime, and miss the meal? i do, I was just curious what others do...I don't worry about her missing a meal atm, like if we're out all day she might have only one solid 'meal'...

That's a good point about teeth.... Violet opens her mouth wide for me to do it and that's the only thing I actually ever put in her mouth (unless I'm giving gripe water / calpol etc).

Maybe the spoon and tooth brush is confusing her...? Thinking about it, shes only really stopped taking the spoon herself since we started doing her tooth/gums.

Not sure of a way round that though??

Yeah I've been trying not to build Christmas dinner up into a big event for Ruby because for all I know she might be asleep! She has recently started having long lunchtime naps.

Do everyone just let their baby sleep if they're tired at a mealtime, and miss the meal? i do, I was just curious what others do...I don't worry about her missing a meal atm, like if we're out all day she might have only one solid 'meal'...

Yeah I let her sleep. I always put a bit aside for her though because she has this habbit of waking up just as I'm finishing and she gives me this awful look that makes me feel so guilty that I dared to eat without her!

That's a good idea. I think I might do that. Ruby shouts if I don't give her some food while I'm eating, she really seems to have caught onto the idea of mealtimes recently! And we cannot pull her highchair up to the table before any food has been put out for her, OH did that the other day and she really cried!

Yeah we let her sleep. She usually has one or two meals a day now, she often sleeps at lunchtime, and the same at breakfast as she only awake for a short time in the morning before she is asleep again. We usually plan tea for when she is awake, so just before her bath, but sometimes she is too tired to eat then.

That's a good idea. I think I might do that. Ruby shouts if I don't give her some food while I'm eating, she really seems to have caught onto the idea of mealtimes recently! And we cannot pull her highchair up to the table before any food has been put out for her, OH did that the other day and she really cried!

Yeah same for us!

Thanks ladies, I love her new pic too! :D

We have a rubber mat for Aisling which we put her food on, it all has to be ready and waiting for her before we put her in her chair or she goes nuts and she can't have it in her reach before we push her into the table or she pulls it off cos she's so excited!! :lol:

Aisling has naps at around the same times every day so I've been able to get her meals in for the most part. sometimes she's just not bothered when we're out though.

I'm glad it's not just Ruby that hates being pulled up to an empty table! I was in the kitchen on Sat just sorting out our breakfast and I heard Ruby wailing, and OH saying, 'mummy told me you liked your new highchair!' I think OH was ready to be angry with me for spending all that money on it!

Emma often misses meals. Or has them outwith meal times. We are still way at the beginning so I am not so worried about it. Milk is her main food and this is just exploring- although some of it does clearly explore all the way down judging by recent nappies! Some apple at lunch today but not in the mood for anything else. Will try the soup from the other day again at dinner time- squash, carrot, cloves and cinnamon- I didn't like it but Em thought it was great!!!!

Yeah we let her sleep. She usually has one or two meals a day now, she often sleeps at lunchtime, and the same at breakfast as she only awake for a short time in the morning before she is asleep again. We usually plan tea for when she is awake, so just before her bath, but sometimes she is too tired to eat then. ...

Yeh I let Olivia sleep too. If she is tired she wont eat anyway or just cries in her highchair.

Well we seem to be having a few off days again, Olivia is playing with her food alot at the moment and doesnt seem to be eating much. She is really perfecting her pincer grip though and wont touch anything I try to pass to her, she just wants to pick things up herself and gets frustrated when she cant lol x

I let him sleep to, as he just gets grumpy otherwise!

Wow I never knew brocoli was so messy! lol Definately bath time tonight...bits everywhere! Think it's been the biggest success so far, every time he dropped it he picked it back up and sucked it to death. We've tried toast to and thats good.
Last night we tried baby corn... his face was a picture. Don't think he liked the texture

Countingdown: well done to olivia for the pincher grip :D

Had an interesting afternoon today.. We had unexpected guests so ended up having lunch pretty late. I usually offer her a bottle at 1pm and then some food about 2pm. Today she had her bottle at 1pm and didn't get food until 3.15pm.

She actually ate the most she has for a long time today. I don't know whether it was just coincidence or whether waiting more towards two hours is a better option for us.

I gave her half a breadstick which she had half of, a 2cm strip of toast but cut in half again and she had all of that, a quarter of banana cut in half longways - she had one whole half and about 6/7 spoonfuls of yogurt. I don't remember the last time she had that much at lunch!

The last week or so I've been giving breakfast about 30-45mins after her bottle and she hasn't been interested at all (see previous replies about the spoon!). But at lunch today, she was literally snatching the spoon off me and shoving it right in and then cried/moaned when I took it off her to refill it lol

I'm gonna try giving her a bottle at 12pm tomorrow and then lunch at 2pm (don't want it as late as 3pm every day!) and see how it goes..!

Hopefully that is that is the reason she's not been eating so much ...hope it works. :)

I got all excited today .... the nappy had broccoli in! My OH thought i was mad when i got so excited, but he ate some :D

LOL @ getting excited over poo..............Rob saved her nappy liner before flushing it so i could see as he knew how excited i get over poo!!!!:dohh:

yeh we tend to just let Daisy sleep whenever she is tired, is making life a little harder to predict than usual as we are tryin to fit atleast 1-2 meals with Daisy in each day.......

Had a great time with Cauliflower this afternoon..... she couldnt hold it at all bless her, the stalks were a little too short so they just kept falling out of her hand bless her so we cheated a littl :blush: i held it for her and she held my finger right next to it and she ate it like that (i didnt take it to her mouth, i still let her guide it) she loved it!!! and towards the end really got the bite, chew, swallow thing going on:) i was soo soo impressed.... she still spat some out and had a teeny little gag on bits but i am 100% that she swallowed om purpose atleast 2x :happydance:

sara

xxxxxx

ern wasnt interested in his toast this morning he just kept lobbing it over the side of the high chair! He was having his bottle as i was dishing up the bigger kids tea,omgosh you should have seen him-he pushed his bottle away and was straining his neck to see what i was putting on their plates, they had pie(there was loads of meat leftover from when i made pies yesterday and they all asked for pie again!!) and oven chips, so i put him a few oven chips out and 2 tomatoes cut in half, a piece of pitta bread and a couple of sticks of celery! He loved the tomatoes,pitta bread and chips he loves anyway, but i was in the kitchen cooking our dinner so didnt see if he tried the celery but dh said he didnt seem interested in it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->