BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Hi Cheeselover :hi:
I love that BLW feels so natural, glad it's going well for you and LO :thumbup:

Sara lol that sounds lovely! Violet threw up whilst gagging the other day and I can smell the sick everytime I put her in it at the moment despite giving it a really good clean... I think some most have got on the carpet on something :sick:

its her breath thats got me....it always smells so lovely and milky...........smells like ming now!!!:nope:

Ok, so how often to your little ones actually gag when eating? And how do you know when gagging crosses the line to choking?

I know that info is probably in the book, but mine is on back order and I haven't gotten it yet! :hissy:

Gagging is just like retching, usually accompanied by coughing. Choking is when they actually have something stuck and can't breathe. Pretty much never happens as the gagging prevents it. Freya started off doing it every time she put something in her mouth, now its more like once a week, if that. :)

we have been on purees for a while and decided to try blw, all has been ok and Scott was loving it, untill tonight when he gagged and then choked on some carrot! Never been so scared! I dont know where we went wrong!?!

My LO gags pretty much every time to ...first few times I was on the edge of my seat, but I can see he is okay now. Also the food sits very far forward on his tongue when he is gaggin! he did it the other day and went red as good be and i got little panicked, but he picked hi food back up and carried on munching! LOL

we have been on purees for a while and decided to try blw, all has been ok and Scott was loving it, untill tonight when he gagged and then choked on some carrot! Never been so scared! I dont know where we went wrong!?!

:hugs: How scary! I don't think you did anything wrong hun, he probably just took more than he could handle! Hope it doesn't happen again :hugs:

Gagging you'll hear, choking you probably won't. Choking is pretty much silent because they can't get any air or sound past the obstruction - choking won't be accompanied by coughing or crying etc. You'll most likely see the food in the throat as well.

Violet hardly gags now unless it's something new and she's figuring out how to take it. Only thing she will gag on without doubt is banana lol! She has a bit everyday but still gags on it.

She's only ever started choking once but before I could even get her out of the highchair she'd cleared it herself :thumbup:

Aisling still gags quite alot but I think it's because she's so greedy and she still puts huge things in her mouth and tries to swallow without chewing enough! What can I say, the girl likes her food! :lol:

Freya swallows without chewing a lot, I'm not sure she means to though. She always looks a bit surprised when it happens! Tends to be more with small wet foods, like tomato, cooked mushroom etc.

Ruby never gags on food for some reason, only when she tries to shove her whole fist into he mouth, lol!

it was gagging the first time, then he was still as a pin! I did the same thing tried to get him out of the high chair but he cleared it before I could by being sick everywhere! TBH its put me off and making me stick to purees, the HV didnt mention that gagging was normal!!!

btw the was massive chucks of carrot in the sick is this also normal!?

can anyone reccommend foods he won gag on at this stage? He has no teeth

It's not the type of food that makes them gag usually, it is a safety thing, it prevents them swallowing anything too large. So stuff he can chew easily (they are capable of chewing very well with just gums) will go down easier. :)

Also, at the beginning they will gag more until they get used to it.

Yeah as Kirsten said, it's not the type of food which makes them gag, it's the amount they bite/get off. If it's too big, they'll gag.

Have any of you offered LO plums? If so how did you do it..? I've got some for next week but not sure how to offer them lol

Yeah as Kirsten said, it's not the type of food which makes them gag, it's the amount they bite/get off. If it's too big, they'll gag.

Have any of you offered LO plums? If so how did you do it..? I've got some for next week but not sure how to offer them lol

I slice them like an apple, but into almost quarters, quite big slices. Freya loves plum, it's the only fruit she won't put down 'til it's all gone, lol.

I'd love to offer plums but DH is allergic and gets awful mouth ulcers so holding off for a bit

oooh Plums...will have to try them too....:thumbup: we had sweet potato lastnight after the mahoosive throwing up sesh - went down a storm, she was puttin them in her mouth and biting down and pullin them out so she got all of the insides out !!!LOL and she proper loved it, to think it was a little sticky as it kept sticking to the roof of her mouth when she was tryin to move it about !!!! :dohh:

I'm cutting out fruit from her diet as of today....
I posted a thread in baby club about her nappy rash coming back and now her poop has gone green and smells vingerary. A link to another forum suggests it can be caused by teething (she's still cutting the first tooth and the slit for the second has just appeared) and fruit/sugar.

Seeing as she has quite a lot of fruit and yogurt, it's something worth trying.

Now I've just got to come up with some alternatives so she doesn't go hungry :lol:

Do you guys think wholemeal bread could cause frequent poops too because of the extra fibre...? I might switch from wholemeal to white and see if that helps too. Poor baby :nope:

Yeah I read somewhere that wholemeal bread has too much fibre in for young babies. I hope it gets better after you cut out fruit then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->