BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Yay for Daisy and Violet!! I cheated a little bit too today, I had some mango slices (pre-sliced, I thought I'd test it to see what she though first lol) so they didn't have skin on and were really slippery. I held the mango and Freya just bobbed up and down or moved my hand to her mouth :blush: She did eat some though, so I was pretty pleased.

i think a little cheating is allowed sometimes:) ..........LOL @ ern ........havent tried tomato yet, can imagine that being a little messy and some good stainage too!!!LOL

we had Tomato Pasta bake yesterday and she sucked the hell out of the pasta and loved the sauce :) when i was putting her clothes away thismorning i noticed her vest was all stained..........oh let the fun begin:)

I wouldn't worry about the "cheating" - you're not actually putting it in their mouth and I'm sure if they tried grabbing it themselves you'd both have let them take the lead and let go etc.

Lol @ excited about nappies and poop. I was quite amazed at how many nappies had carrot in today.... She had some for dinner last night but didn't think she ate that many haha

Aww Pink Witch, Ern sounds so cute! How is he if the others are eating and he isn't? Or do you make sure he's eating with them as well?

OMG the stained clothes!! I have ruined soooo many of Freya's vest sleeves and necks!! I seem to constantly have clothes in the sink soaking these days...:blush:

Only clothes of Violet's that have been ruined is my favourite outfit of hers :nope:

I'm gonna have to try and get it out!!

OH no Faille, have you tried a cold salt bath?? that tends to get most stuff out. anyhting that is likely to stain will definately be given in a vest, either that or i'm thinking of getting a few cheap sleepsuits a few sizes too big to chuck on over her clothes as they will cover most things :thumbup: then if they get super stained it dont matter as they were cheap:)

Ooh the big sleepsuit idea is a great one! I think I'll do that! I keep taking off all Ruby's clothes except her vest but I felt so bad today when I realised she was actually shivering. DOH.

I find if you use the vanish pre wash bar thingy straight after the stain has 'happened' it comes out very well...

I don't think that's cheating either really, it's still their decision whether or not to eat it. I did the same with Aisling tonight, we had veg lasagne but the lasagne sheets kept sticking to her mat and she couldn't get them off. I picked the up for her and she pulled my fingers into her mouth so that's enough for me! :D

I know we're not supposed to leave the table when LO is eating because it's bad table manners etc - does anyone else manage to stick to this all the time? Tonight Aisling was taking forever to eat, DH is working away and I have a craft fair to prepare for tomorrow so I started sorting out the kitchen while Aisling finished off. I felt really bad though, I was always a slow eater and hated when the table was cleared and I was still eating! :blush:

Oh, meant to say as well, I've started setting aside a couple of plan long sleeved vests which I put on Aisling when we're having particularly messy food and it seems to be working but she seemed cold tonight too so I might donate a couple of sleepsuits too!

I was talking to one of my close friends last night and she has a 6 month old. She was telling me about how it's so challenging to feed her. With her son who's 2 now she thought it was easy because they'd just distract him with a toy and shove the spoon in when he wasn't looking but this isn't working for her daughter. She said she literally 'has to' force the spoon into her mouth. It actually made me really really sad to hear her talking like that but I don't feel like I can talk about BLW in case it seems as though I'm criticising - after all she's on her second baby and Aisling's my first so who am I to talk! Just seems such a shame though :(

I was talking to one of my close friends last night and she has a 6 month old. She was telling me about how it's so challenging to feed her. With her son who's 2 now she thought it was easy because they'd just distract him with a toy and shove the spoon in when he wasn't looking but this isn't working for her daughter. She said she literally 'has to' force the spoon into her mouth. It actually made me really really sad to hear her talking like that but I don't feel like I can talk about BLW in case it seems as though I'm criticising - after all she's on her second baby and Aisling's my first so who am I to talk! Just seems such a shame though :(

Don't mean to butt in, but I just couldn't pass this up! :shock:

Doesn't she think maybe something isn't going right and another approach might be needed? Poor thing. :(

As for talking to her about BLW, can you just talk about how it is going for you? Maybe she will be interested in trying it if you talk about how well it is working for you. That way you don't have to suggest anything to her... :shrug:

You're not butting in TigerLady, the more the merrier! :hugs:

I had spoken to her a couple of months ago about BLW and explained what we were doing and she just looked at me like I was mad and asked 'but what about the purees?'! I still had Aisling on puree at dinner time at that stage on GP advice but was explaining to her that I wanted to ditch them asap and move onto finger foods and she just couldn't understand why I'd want to...

Aww, that's too bad. :(

I must admit, I can't count the number of :huh: looks I have gotten when I mention that I intend to BLW eventually. Even LO's pediatrician looked shocked when I explained what it was and said "Well, that's just stupid." :dohh:

Oh, meant to say as well, I've started setting aside a couple of plan long sleeved vests which I put on Aisling when we're having particularly messy food and it seems to be working but she seemed cold tonight too so I might donate a couple of sleepsuits too!

Yeah, I kind of have the same dilemma with a friend of mine whose baby is mostly refusing spoon feeding. I don't know why we feel like we're criticizing if we suggest BLW, it's not like we're offended when friends talk about they spoon feed? But I do feel awkward about suggesting anything to RL friends in case they think I'm saying I know better etc...:shrug:

Aww, that's too bad. :(

I must admit, I can't count the number of :huh: looks I have gotten when I mention that I intend to BLW eventually. Even LO's pediatrician looked shocked when I explained what it was and said "Well, that's just stupid." :dohh:

That's funny because while my mum friends seem a bit confused about BLW and have looked shocked when I've given Ruby bits of my food when we're out, most others seem not to question it at all! My aunt and uncle stayed at the weekend and I expected some questioning about BLW but they just seemed to think it was normal. My Dad too, I spent maybe 2 mins explaining it and he just accepted it, and loves the fact she eats all sorts of veg that he was still trying to persaude me to eat when I was like 12 :haha:

i have a question :wave:

Kians been really bad with his teeth atm. he likes chewing everything...and the harder the better it seems. one of the best cures i've found so far is a sock with an ice cube in a sock but it does end up melting quite quickly and he's not very interested in teething toys (He always ends up sticking the non cold bit in his mouth! then throwing it away:dohh:) anyway someone suggested a raw carrot thats been in the fridge, chopped into fingers. i gave it a go the other night and it did seem to work pretty well but then i started to get myself at it that it might in someway b counted as his first food?! A raw carrot is far too hard form him to actually eat any of so he just chews on it like a teething toy. also i must admit i like the idea its no longer my fingers he's chewing to death!:blush:

anyway what i was gonna ask was...d'u think this is alright? Its not gonna make him ill/ b like giving him food early? whats ur feelings?

I doubt a bit of carrot is going to hurt as there's no baddies in it and like you said, he won't actually be eating and therefore needing to digest it.

He'll probably get some of the goodness through sucking/munching on it but I doubt it'd hurt!?

As for your friend Lu, I wouldn't know what to say? I think it's awful that people have to "force" food onto their babies but I don't know how to mention that without it sounding like criticism too. I hate it when I see people shoving spoons or 'tricking' spoons into their LO's mouth so I don't think I could approach the subject without coming across like I'm preaching :rofl:

PS - the carrot is fine, he can't bite bits off. :) Cucumber (skin left on) is another good one for teething, and even if he bit a bit off, it'd probably fall straight out of his mouth and they're 98% water anyway so wouldn't harm him.

Yeah Faille I hate seeing that too. It makes me laugh when people who are practically force feeding their child puree give me an evil look because Ruby is eating some of my sandwich!

Hi everyone!
Very excited to be here as we have just started BLW at our house. So far we have tried steamed carrot/potato, rice cakes and banana. It is all going very well and I can't imagine doing this any other way.
Can I ask what the 'bible' is that people are referring to?
Lauren

PS, I agree with the carrots! Will have to try that myself. :) Cucumber, too!

CL, the bible is the book:

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-led-Wea...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260457688&sr=8-1

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG VOMIT EVERYWHERE :dohh: poor little bug proper threw up everywhere !!!!! i think i offered her food to close to a milk feed and she gagged, sicked a little, coughed a few times(she has a really nasty cold) gagged and Vomited Exorcist stylee!! omg it was so so so mingin :sick: sorry for the TMI

gonna play around with the schedule a little and see if that helps, dunno if its a coincidence but she did that last time she had baby corn :shrug: will have to try again in a few days an see if she does it again :shrug:

sara

xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"