BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Hi all! Haven't posted much in this section, but I've been snooping a bit. :blush:

Bella is sooo ready to start eating, but I can't figure out how to really get going with it. She's been exclusively BF, and that seems so easy. So I thought BLW might be the best way for us to go. I've pre-loaded spoons with a couple things, like sweet potatoes, green beans, and mashed bananas mixed with breastmilk. But she really wants to just grab from my plate.

My question... can I just let her put whatever she wants into her mouth?? Do I still have to introduce only 1 ingredient at a time in case of allergies?? I'm still a bit overwhelmed by it all. :dohh:

Hi all! Haven't posted much in this section, but I've been snooping a bit. :blush:

Bella is sooo ready to start eating, but I can't figure out how to really get going with it. She's been exclusively BF, and that seems so easy. So I thought BLW might be the best way for us to go. I've pre-loaded spoons with a couple things, like sweet potatoes, green beans, and mashed bananas mixed with breastmilk. But she really wants to just grab from my plate.

My question... can I just let her put whatever she wants into her mouth?? Do I still have to introduce only 1 ingredient at a time in case of allergies?? I'm still a bit overwhelmed by it all. :dohh:

You can let her take anything she wants except honey and whole nuts :)
If you haven't already, I'd strongly reccomend the book by Gill Rapley - it'll tell you everything you need to know x

Sara, I cut the longer bit off my squash, and use it one day and then use the fat bit another day! I peel it then cut it into finger shapes and roast it. Yummy! I give Freya natural goats yogurt she LOVES it, lol. I don't want to give her any dairy til she is one, so it's good for us. If we were doing dairy though I would just give natural yoghurt.

I saw that link Claire, made me wonder a bit. I'm not bothered though, I'm sure I have read in many different places that they are fine on milk for a year. I would feel better about it if I were breastfeeding, but I just keep hoping that Freya will get going on it soon and start eating more!

Freya can eat a good amount at tea time now, and does almost every day. But she is just not bothered about lunch at all, not sure why, she is a bit funny like that. Won't drink milk when she knows she is about to have a bath either! :dohh: So she gets offered stuff at lunch but doesn't really eat it. We have porridge for breakfast this morning and she refused to hold the spoon herself, not sure what was going on there. I ended up feeding most of it to her, which I was a bit upset about, as she was screaming for it in the end, Jake was yelling at me to feed her it and I was trying to get her to hold it. I think she was hungry for milk but she wouldn't drink any :wacko: Everything goes great at tea time but it feels really messed up at breakfast and lunch.

On a better note, we went to a chinese all you can eat tonight for my sisters birthday, Freya ate loads, she had all sorts of veg, a prawn cracker :blush: loads of fruit, especially orange segments (no skin) she ate so many of them. I am NOT looking forward to the morning poo! :rofl: I was pretty happy as my mum is always asking me if she is 'eating yet'. Lol.

I was initially looking for something exactly like that Lu! But from what I've read, doing a dvd or going to classes is a great way for both LO and parent to learn as it's all interactive.

I've been doing a sleep sign for ages too (I don't know if it's right, I just made my own up lol) and I just do the sign saying 'time for sleepies' when I put her down for a nap.. I think that's the basic gist of it. Can't wait to get started properly though!

hey we are doing baby sign at the mo so far dex know no and he can wave and knows when it is bedtime.i got to a baby sign class to and they gave us a great folder with all the signs and songs in it. I have two copies if anybody wants one?

thats great about the Chinese :D Daisy is the same with Lunchtimes (and sometimes Breakfast too) usually have lots of probs with these meals and this is usually when she gags most too:shrug:

she's been in a funny mood all day today? dived at her eggy bread this mornin but when i had finished mine and i got a satsuma she went mental screaming at me for a bit :shrug: dunno what thats all about
then at lunch i made a pasta thingie - tomato peppers and cheese with pasta and she just screamed from the second i put her in her chair?? (it was minging tho - i didnt eat mine!LOL)
and Dinner i made Jacket Potatoes and she wouldnt have any of it till i helped her - i let her hold my finger and giude my hand to her mouth and loved it but i dunno whats wrong woth her at the moment ?

sara
xxxxxx

I was initially looking for something exactly like that Lu! But from what I've read, doing a dvd or going to classes is a great way for both LO and parent to learn as it's all interactive.

I've been doing a sleep sign for ages too (I don't know if it's right, I just made my own up lol) and I just do the sign saying 'time for sleepies' when I put her down for a nap.. I think that's the basic gist of it. Can't wait to get started properly though!

hey we are doing baby sign at the mo so far dex know no and he can wave and knows when it is bedtime.i got to a baby sign class to and they gave us a great folder with all the signs and songs in it. I have two copies if anybody wants one?

i would love a copy if you dont mind? :hugs:

quick question, how can you truly tell if your lo is having a reaction to food? dex has had continuous red cheeks for about 2 weeks and it gets worse when he eats but nothing else has changed. i'm not sure if it is teething as sometimes he has red spots with it but i cant work out what it could be. i thought it may be tomatoes she didnt have any today and nothing changed. i put banana is his food as he doesnt like it by itself alot could it be that?

EDIT: he eats no meat, no dairy, no wheat or fish.

these are the high allergy list i could find but he eats none of these

o berries (not blueberries or cranberries.)
o chocolate
o cinnamon (may cause rashes)
o citrus fruits (acidic)
o coconut
o corn
o dairy products
o egg whites
o mustard
o nuts
o peas
o peanut butter
o pork
o shellfish
o soy
o strawberries
o wheat
o yeast

Not being funny but I wouldn't be suprised if it was the banana.
Violet's been having really weird poop and nappy rash and I was given a link to another forum and one lady said fruit could cause that thing with the poop (also teething can). As Violet was having a bit of banana every day I thought I'd give it a go and cut it out.... Since we've cut it out, everything has got much better, even though she's still cutting teeth. Maybe just a coincidence but if he has banana a lot then I'd try cutting it out for a few days just to rule out the possibility if nothing else.

Oh yeah I know I said I was going to cut out fruit from her diet, but I couldn't resist trying her with plums...... She loves them!!

She also had pitta bread for the first time over the weekend and absolutely loved that too. We had pizza for dinner last night and she had a little bit.. She demolished it all apart from the crust lol.

Violet also eats the most at dinner time. It depends on when I time it with breakfast and lunch as to whether she's interested or not. Do it too soon after a bottle and she's not interested at all. Leaving it a good couple of hours seems to work best for her. Anything under an hour then forget it!

Right I think this is maybe where I am going wrong. I thought timings with bottles wouldn't matter because they don't know food fills them up, but I do nearly always offer Ruby solids right after a bottle just because she has her milk at 7.30am, midday, 3-4pm (and 7pm but we don't keep her up for dinner as she's already overtired by then and we have to get her up at 7am so needs to go to bed) and her levels of interest are very variable. She never eats lots though, and only really swallows bread or toast, doh!

Maybe I should try giving her the bottle after lunch. This will probably mean we have to have lunch at like 11.30am but I'm always hungry then anyway!

Will give it a go.

We're the same Claire, Freya is never hungry first thing anyway, I have to really persuade her to have a bottle. So breakfast is just a lot of grumbling. She starts to refuse milk at about 4pm, and won't have any 'til 7pm when she goes to bed, even if she's really hungry, I don't know why she does this but it means she eats loads at tea time. She has her bottles at different times every day (and wakes up in the morning and naps at different times) so I find it really hard to work out when to do solids!

I don't know how to resolve it, I am stuck.

I made houmous yesterday and it was rank. I am trying again today, lol, can't expect anyone to eat that!!

Right I think this is maybe where I am going wrong. I thought timings with bottles wouldn't matter because they don't know food fills them up, but I do nearly always offer Ruby solids right after a bottle just because she has her milk at 7.30am, midday, 3-4pm (and 7pm but we don't keep her up for dinner as she's already overtired by then and we have to get her up at 7am so needs to go to bed) and her levels of interest are very variable. She never eats lots though, and only really swallows bread or toast, doh!

Maybe I should try giving her the bottle after lunch. This will probably mean we have to have lunch at like 11.30am but I'm always hungry then anyway!

Will give it a go.

yeah, i've found if i offer food too close to a bottle she just isnt interested - either that or she gags and brings up all of her milk :dohh: still tweeking our feed vs milk timings but we usually leave her 'food' till about an hour to an hour and half after any milk feeds :)

Huge success at breakfast - we had porridge but she wolfed at it!!! i loaded her spoon and she shoved it in her mouth then gave it back to me to re load for her!!!!! was great great fun!!! - tho i am convinced whoever started BLW was a dog - my mutts are loving all the food that gets dropped :D

having Butternut Squash for Lunch - well i'm attempting it, i;ve never had it before nevermind cooked it so god knows what it will taste like!!!LOL

sara

xxxxxxxx

We're the same Claire, Freya is never hungry first thing anyway, I have to really persuade her to have a bottle. So breakfast is just a lot of grumbling. She starts to refuse milk at about 4pm, and won't have any 'til 7pm when she goes to bed, even if she's really hungry, I don't know why she does this but it means she eats loads at tea time. She has her bottles at different times every day (and wakes up in the morning and naps at different times) so I find it really hard to work out when to do solids!

I don't know how to resolve it, I am stuck.

I made houmous yesterday and it was rank. I am trying again today, lol, can't expect anyone to eat that!!

omg we bought some from tesco and it was the most minging thing EVER!!!!!

Will give it a go.

My OH cooked lunch yesterday and timed it so it was ready just as Violet was due for her bottle. She ended up having the food first which I thought was going to be a nightmare but it actually went really well. She didn't get frustrated or anything and she ate quite a lot.

She also had a bottle near enough straight after and also had all of that. I think I've been so worried that if she had food before a bottle then she wouldn't want her milk. Now I know that isn't true so I'm much more relaxed about offering food first. I still can't offer food too soon after a bottle though because the milk definately fills her up!

Lol Sara! There are some types you can buy that I love, but I put waaaaay too much garlic in mine, I can still taste in now :sick: It burnt my tongue a bit!

Think I am going to try and make guacamole - thats avocado yeah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->