BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

Aw after all the issues you've had with Dex being ill and not eating, I'm so glad to hear he's doing so fabulously well!! You must be so proud :cloud9:

That's a fair point about the puree v porridge thing Faille, I'd lost sight of it being food we eat too. I have made cubes of puree for the freezer which I'm defrosting and spreading on her toast though - she loves it, it means it's cutting down on the sweet stuff she has and it's extra nutrition so I'm happy.

Sublime, that's great news that Dex is eating better. And well done on patting him to sleep, it's a brilliant first step :D

Aisling is getting better with the spoon now, I can finally let go of it after I hand it to her because she no longer flings it across the room when she's finished! :rofl: I still have to be ready to catch it but she hangs on to it longer and drops it slowly so it's progress :D

Hon I wouldn't worry at all about breaking rules if it helped Otter feel better :thumbup:

I concur.:hugs:

me too:D :hugs:

ok my turn to boast....:blush: we are eating!!!! full on food to mouth, chew (most of the time) and swallow!LOL i am so so so happy!LOL kinda clicked Xmas day !:D she sat at the table and scoffed as much as she could into her mouth!! it was so so so cute! and the inlaws were quite impressed too :thumbup: today we have had Rice Krispies with Yoghurt for brekkie, Banana Sandwiches for Lunch (me and rob had leftover meat in sandwiches and it was v salty so Bug didnt get that) and Lasagne for Dinner ...... all of these (except the Banana) were new tastes or textures and we only had one teeny tiny little gag (with a bit of mince from the lasagne) but she is eating loads and loads now :happydance::happydance: i am so so so so pleased with how well she is doing ......... :cloud9: i could have a little :cry: over it!!! feels like finally something we wated to do is actually working now:D

at all of her meals she is now getting put in her high chair and by the time she is pulled up at the table with us she is hanging over the bar trying to get hold of the food :D and we're barely having to hand anything to her now:D at Dinner today she spent a whole 35 mins with us at the table (compared to last weeks 5-10 mins if we were lucky) i was so so so chuffed :) got a little vid of her with the Banana sarnie to upload

ok proud Mummy moment over :D so pleased everyones xmas went well :D and i totally agree on the Porridge Vs Puree thing....i definately would NOT eat Puree:sick:

sara

xxxxxxx

ps sorry for the essay!:flower:

https://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz226/daisygracelawson/th_MOV01755.jpg

its about 8 mins long LOL but you get the Jist !!LOL please ignore the delightful sounds of OH munching on his very healthy discos(crisps) and the dogs eating Bones in the background :)

Aww Glad that Daisy is doing so well now Sara, you must be really proud after the struggle you were having recently x

Yay Daisy! Brilliant.

We're not handing Ruby anything now. It helps that she now holds onto a food until she has finished, previously she was biting off a bit then dropping it. She has just learned to open her fist to get at food inside it too :)

So gutted, we couldn't go to my brother's for lunch today because the car chose to pack up and need new brake shoes :( so couldn't show off Ruby's eating.

Yay Ruby! I was just thinking today that I can't remember the last time I had to hand Aisling anything :thumbup:

That's disappointing you couldn't go to your brother's Claire, I'm always looking for an excuse to show off Aisling's eating!!

:hissy: Freya has had hand foot and mouth since Christmas Eve, she's been feeling really poorly and hasn't eaten anything at all for 5 days now, I think her mouth must be pretty sore, it's full of ulcers. She has so many little blisters on her, it's horrid. :cry: I hope it goes soon, she's not happy, and it hasn't made Christmas easy, too many people fussing over her. We only realised she had it yesterday, we just thought she was being grumpy. :(

Aww, poor Freya! :(

Big hugs to Freya, I hope she feels better soon! That must be awful for her. :hugs:

Aww poor Freya, that's awful. Hope she's feeling better soon :hugs:

Sounds like Ruby has come on in leaps and bounds :thumbup:

Poor Freya :sad1:
Hope she's better soon the poor thing xx

:hugs:poor Freya! :sad1:

Halen had veggy fingers, peas and sweetcorn (he hasn't worked out pincer grab get but I thought we'd try it) and mash, he chucked most of it on the floor lol we've been offering him water in a doidy cup with his meals, every now and again I hold the cup for him at the bottom then let him drink, he kept pulling the cup back up to his mouth everytime I moved it away lol. How long will it take him roughly to work out how to drink by himself? He just throws the cup everywhere when I let go

Hey :wave:

Not sure if i'm too late to join in here...been trying BLW on and off...but now definitely sticking with it! It's so much more fun..and LO loves it!

Just having a few problems knowing what to give...lately just been giving things like banana, cucumber, rice cakes etc., but read a lot about people giving lasagne, pasta...'proper' meals..just wondering how you actually go about that? Sounds a bit stupid...but how does LO eat it etc?

Also...just to clarify if I give LO cucumber or apple or something...I do leave the skin on right? I've been doing this...but everyone tells me not to!

AND (sorry to go on when i've only just popped in here :blush:) but how do I stop relatives giving LO pureed things? It seems like everytime my back is turned he's having mashed up food 'to make sure he gets some'. In fairness I've been ill this weekend so my mum and grandma have been helping look after LO..but they just wont have it any other way :growlmad:!!

Hey :wave:

Not sure if i'm too late to join in here...been trying BLW on and off...but now definitely sticking with it! It's so much more fun..and LO loves it!

Just having a few problems knowing what to give...lately just been giving things like banana, cucumber, rice cakes etc., but read a lot about people giving lasagne, pasta...'proper' meals..just wondering how you actually go about that? Sounds a bit stupid...but how does LO eat it etc?
I just set him out a portion of whatever we're eating and let him figure it out for himself. If we're having something unhealthy like chinese (not very often) we will have it after he's gone to bed, and I will have a teeny tiny dinner with him at his normal dinner time
Also...just to clarify if I give LO cucumber or apple or something...I do leave the skin on right? I've been doing this...but everyone tells me not to!
I leave the skin on as well
AND (sorry to go on when i've only just popped in here :blush:) but how do I stop relatives giving LO pureed things? It seems like everytime my back is turned he's having mashed up food 'to make sure he gets some'. In fairness I've been ill this weekend so my mum and grandma have been helping look after LO..but they just wont have it any other way :growlmad:!!
Tell them he is not having puree's at all, under no circumstances is he to be fed puree's, he is your baby and you make the rules hun.

Yep, I leave skins on as well. Just make sure and wash them well. :thumbup:

Just set whatever is on offer in front of him and let him go at it. As long it is appropriate for them (healthy, low salt, etc), they can have it! It just may be a bit messy. :wacko:

I agree with J, just tell them BLW is how you are going foward, and they are not to offer him purees. Full stop. He doesn't "need" anything but milk (whether you are BFing or FFing) so if he doesn't eat much solids, then so be it.

My MIL was sitting not long ago and asked if she could give LO mashed banana. I told her that if she wanted to give him a banana to do it the way he eats it and not to mash it or feed it to him. (Explained how I offer it to him)

It might be easier getting your family on board if you show and tell them how to feed LO BLW style. They will just have to get over the fact that they can no longer spoon feed him or put things in his mouth for him.

Agree with all the above hon. With things like spag bol and lasagne, I just let her at it. I cut the pasta sheets in the lasagne so they're easier to pick up than one huge one and if we're having pasta I'll do the bows rather than any other kind as again they're easier to pick up. Other than that though she just shovels it in! :thumbup:

:hi: fantastica

Yep I'm the same as the others.. I leave the skin on everything like apple, cucumber, plums, necturines etc.

We use the twirly pasta and that's quite easy for her to pick up too.

Basically, when offering lasagne, pasta bake, mince etc, I just scoop a big tablespoon out for her and she'll have a good go picking up all the different pieces herself. Things like rice you might want to avoid for the time being, unless you offer something else as well as it's so small and LO may need the pincer grip before being able to pick it up (unless your LO is one of these ones that just shovel it into their mouths :lol:).

If you have the book by Gill Rapley now, it may be worth asking your parents or anyone else who tries to spoonfeed puree to read it and understand what you're doing and why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->