BLW q's (long, sorry!)

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
Hi ladies just a couple of questions. Sorry if some sound a bit silly. It was only going to be 2-3 questions but more kept coming to me, I am soooo sorry.. I didn't want to clog up the support thread with this since I don't really know what I'm talking about 100% yet..

1- when you are BLW.. what temp do you give them their food at? Warm or cold? Which does your LO prefer if you've started?

2 - when you use BLW, is okay to mash up some foods still and let them eat it with their hands? I was a bit confused about this.. like bananas, would it be okay to mash some up so LO gets to try them? Cut in slices they are a choking risk I think, I guess you could do long strips but would mush be easier/better or? And potatoes, mashed or soft cubes?

3 - is every baby ready to wean at 6 months or can some stay on BM/formula or would some need to stay on BM/formula exclusively past the 6 month mark? What are the problems with holding out on weaning past 6 months, or the opposite, are there any potential benefits?

4 - if you can, could you describe your first time, what food you gave LO to try/how you prepared it, their reaction to it, anything else...

5 - if your first time offering a food to LO is a disaster, should you offer them a different food the next day OR should you wait a few days/week/etc. then offer them a different food and maybe offer that first food another time?

1- when you are BLW.. what temp do you give them their food at? Warm or cold? Which does your LO prefer if you've started?

Either or. If we are eating it warm then she gets it warm! I think it's like any weaning - they will let you know how they prefer things.

2 - when you use BLW, is okay to mash up some foods still and let them eat it with their hands? I was a bit confused about this.. like bananas, would it be okay to mash some up so LO gets to try them? Cut in slices they are a choking risk I think, I guess you could do long strips but would mush be easier/better or? And potatoes, mashed or soft cubes?

Mashing is fine and letting them eat with their hands. I give banana whole. I always have. I think if you are wanting to use this approach it's good to understand that the actual risk of choking is low. Banana's are particularly good IMO because they go slippy almost immediately and slide down easy.
IMO mashed and mush is harder.

3 - is every baby ready to wean at 6 months or can some stay on BM/formula or would some need to stay on BM/formula exclusively past the 6 month mark? What are the problems with holding out on weaning past 6 months, or the opposite, are there any potential benefits?

Not all babies are ready to wean at 6 months and they can happily carr on with just milk until they are. when they can sit unaided and hold their food themselves, from a BLW they are ready. But the who principle is that it's baby lead. Rather than force feeding them purees, you let them decide when they are ready.

4 - if you can, could you describe your first time, what food you gave LO to try/how you prepared it, their reaction to it, anything else...

At first I just gave her some broccoli as we were having some. She held the stalk and put it to her mouth and licked it. She didnt actually eat for a good few weeks. She didnt really react like it was food - it was just something new to learn about. She certainly enjoyed being involved with our meal times and from then she sat with us and played with anything we were eating that was an easy shape to hold.

5 - if your first time offering a food to LO is a disaster, should you offer them a different food the next day OR should you wait a few days/week/etc. then offer them a different food and maybe offer that first food another time?

It depends on your out look as to if you call it a disaster!! They dont eat straight away - you need to be prepared to be patient. I dont see that as a disaster - just part of the journey. It got thrown around and I didnt see that as not liking it. I kept adding bit of our food or other easy things like fruit or breadsticks and letting her do what she wants. she will still be eating her milk as her main food so there really is no urgency to get her eating loads of solids quickly....key words again...baby led.....;)

Oh and do read the sticky support thread and ideally get the book so you understand that there really isnt that big a risk of choking. :D

You can wean whenever you want tash, before, after during 6 months. Alot of people wean earlier to help their babies sleep habits.

I really encourage you to speak to a doctor or HV about the canadian standards and research with weaning. Because some things are different then what you read about the UK recommendations and standards, one huge thing is that its not recommended due to the developemental stage and they really dont have the fine motor skills until around 7 months. Ultimately when and how you wean is completely up to you.

I weaned with rice cereal at 3 months because of Jasmines reflux, the cereal did help a great deal with the vomitting and fussiness and helped her to settle better at night.

I did give rice rusks and things at about 5 months. However, Jasmine is a very hungry baby and there was no way finger foods only would have satisfied her. She was drinking ALOT of formula which was just making the reflux worse.

And TBH alot of the things I tried finger food wise earlier she would just become upset because she couldnt eat it properly or enough.

Bananas are a good finger food to start with, so are cooked baby carrots... Tost with pureed fruit on top or yogurt... or cheese sticks etc. Asparagus are an easier one.

I also bought and used the graduates puff and sticks etc that all melt in their mouth. I used them from about 6 months.

Hi :flower:

This is just from my BLW experience, not trying to influence!!

It depends, yougurt is cold :dohh: but i tend to give hot food at room temperature, pretty much cool enough for her to eat. Rebecca seems to like cool food at the moment but she is teething so it must feel nicer on her gums

I have given some food mushed but only if we are having it mashed e.g potatoes but dont really think you need to mash anything with BLW as long as the food is soft enough for them to gum it but its up to you. As for choking risk it really is very low. Rebecca has never choked once, she has gagged but that is different to choking. The BLW "bible" explains the choking issue very well. I also give bannanas whole and she loves them!!

Every baby is different but it is baby led. If your Lo is able to sit up and sit in a high chair then I would let her join in with meals and give her food to play with as thats all she will do with it until she is ready to eat. Remember milk is their main source of nutrition until they are one year old, dont be in a ruch to cut out milk feeds. Rebecca is still on 5 7oz bottles a day and is eating regulary throughout the day too.

Steamed carrot sticks and she played with them for ages then put one in her mouth and made a yucky face:wacko:

I would keep offering but the idea of BLW is they eat similar food to what you are eating, as long as it is suitable so if you are eating the same meal in a row then offer the food again- if that makes sense!!!

Sorry that turned into an essay, I really enjoy BLW. I have to admit that I didnt choose to BLW but Rebecca would not eat puree smooth or lumpy so BLw seemed the next step and its working really well. I find it easier than cooking and pureeing lots of food.
BLW does require a lot of patience on the parents part but it is so worth it once LO starts eating and just think you dont have to worry about going through the different stages of puree- smooth lumpy etc

I was half way through a really long and detailed response, when the damn computer crashed!!! I realyl can't re-write all that again! I agree with the others though. You can borrow the book from your local library if you fancy a browse. Are you planning to do BLW then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->