BLW - starter foods?

x Helen x

Reaction score
So I've decided i'd like to give BLW a go when LO reaches 6 months.

What are the best foods to start out with, and what quantity? Is it solely fruit and veg to begin with or can you give cereals and toast straight away? Some examples of first finger foods would be fantastic.

Should we be starting with just one meal a day and then gradually increasing to three? If so, which meal is best to start with? Or does it not matter?

And at what age do you introduce dairy and meat?

I plan to continue breast feeding alongside BLW for the first two months, I assume this will work ok for us?

At six months they can eat anything except honey and stuff with a lot of salt.

I started with broccoli and carrot as his first meal but I started giving him something at each mealtime if he was awake. Some stuff he couldn't handle very well straight away but at the beginning it was more about playing.

Toast was good to start with and anything that can be cut into fingers or sticks.

I found the baby led weaning cookbook useful as it had a chart which tells you what food is good depending on their motor skills. It also has some yummy recipes.

Thanks for that, I'll have to take a look at that book!

So cheese, butter, meat, eggs and all that sort of thing are fine even to start off with (from 6 months)? Wow this is going to be easier than I thought, didn't realise pretty much anything was allowed!

What sort of things do you put on toast? And do you cut the crusts off or leave them on? I was thinking things like mashed banana or avocado on toast, or fruit purees?

We put mashed banana on toast and cut off the crust. We cut the toast into strips so its easier to eat. I just offer whatever I'm eating, sometimes she will take it sometimes she won't.

Thanks for that, I'll have to take a look at that book!

So cheese, butter, meat, eggs and all that sort of thing are fine even to start off with (from 6 months)? Wow this is going to be easier than I thought, didn't realise pretty much anything was allowed!

What sort of things do you put on toast? And do you cut the crusts off or leave them on? I was thinking things like mashed banana or avocado on toast, or fruit purees?

Yep, so much easier once they hit six months!

Ashley likes avocado, fruit spread, peanut butter, cream cheese, omelette and hummous on toast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->