bottle help

FLUMPY1984

Reaction score
in regards to the bottle thread i noticed people boiled water and then left for half an hour and added formula.

Ive been boiling the water and instantly adding the powder and then cooling to room temperature....am i doing it wrong???

panicking!!

x

No hun that's fine! I add formula to just boiled water too most of the time. From my understanding you should add the formula before the water has been left to cool for longer than 30mins. This is because the belief now is that formula itself isn't sterile so the fresh boiled water will kill off any bacteria etc x

phew...thanks very much for that i thought id been doing it wrong for months xx

It's not a huge deal. They say there is a chance that you may kill some nutrients if the water is too hot.

the only reason i left the water to cool
down was because hot water made the
bottles explode milk at me lol

but you can do it either way :thumbup:

They told me at the hospital to make it that way but not to cool it down instantly but to let it cool down naturally so i had to make a bottle in advance such as 1 hour before a feed. I tend to stick to that but sometimes like if we are asleep or out and he wants feeding when i get back i have to cool it x

On the NCT website;

NCT calls for an end to inaccurate information on bottle milk preparation

The NCT is calling on formula milk manufacturers to update their information on formula milk preparation so it is clear, comprehensive and mirrors government guidelines. The leading parent information charity is concerned that current information is inaccurate and confusing. The NCT has also produced a new photo factsheet ‘Using infant formula: your questions answered’ to provide parents with correct information.

Advice provided on formula tins, on company websites and through company ‘Carelines’ on how to make up a bottle is often unclear and could lead to serious illness for the baby. The advice also contradicts guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO)¹ and the Food Standards Agency (FSA)².
Powdered formula milk is not sterile and can be contaminated with bacteria³, which could cause illness such as meningitis and septicaemia. Although illness is very rare, WHO and FSA advise making up only one bottle at a time using water at or above 70°C to kill the bacteria and minimise the risk.
In practical terms this means using the water within 30 minutes of boiling (after this time the temperature drops too low) and throwing away any unused milk.

In fact, formula made with water at 50°C ‘generally results in the greatest increase in risk’, according to WHO, unless it is consumed immediately, because it encourages the growth of bacteria rather than killing them.¹

I do my bottles totally different....and i was told this is the right way.
I boil the kettle with fresh water poured into it-so the water hasnt been re-boiled again and again then let it cool for about a hour.I then pur it into 6 bottles and i leave for it to cool completly on the side with lids on...so sterilse bottles, put water staright in and thne pour the boiled cool water into them and put lids straight on...
When they are completly cool, i put them in the fridge.Then when i need a bottle i take one out the fridge-usually half our or so before a feed and then add the powder and warm up.
To start off with i was putting the powder straight into the water and i was told not do this as the longer the powder is in the water the quicker the bacteria grows....im now very confused...i was told to add the powder when you need to feed.....

Its so hard isnt it i wish the hv/midwives would get their facts right its so confusing.

I was told to use boiled water and to scoop power when boiled but told i couldnt cool the bottle with cold water but had to do it naturally. i know germs breed in warm environments but it does make sense that the boiled water sterliles the powder....my head hurts

x

I used to boil 1 oz of water, leave it to settle for few mins then add it to the bottle, then add all the amount of formula to the 1oz of water, stir/shake, then top up with pre-boiled cold water. I used to prepare fresh feeds.

I do my bottles totally different....and i was told this is the right way.
I boil the kettle with fresh water poured into it-so the water hasnt been re-boiled again and again then let it cool for about a hour.I then pur it into 6 bottles and i leave for it to cool completly on the side with lids on...so sterilse bottles, put water staright in and thne pour the boiled cool water into them and put lids straight on...

I do this except I leave mine out on the side & add the milk when needed Millie doesn't like warm milk & 8 months on she's fine & never been poorly other then 1 cold which she got off me :0( x

in regards to the bottle thread i noticed people boiled water and then left for half an hour and added formula.

Ive been boiling the water and instantly adding the powder and then cooling to room temperature....am i doing it wrong???

panicking!!

x
I've done it that way since Sophie was born.

I do like many other women.. Make up the bottles in the evening/morning for that day with boiled water only.. leave them on the side and then add the powder when she needs them!

Ellie will not at all take her milk warmer then room temp.. A weeks a go.. I boiled the kettle at 8pm and made her water up.. went to bed at 11 so the water had been cooled for 3 hrs.. Ellie woke up for a feed when I went to bed so made her milk up.. tested it and to me it was luke warm .. she refused it point blank!

I know its not the guidelines but this is how she's always had them and my HV is fine with this!

Yeah i know people leave their bottles of cooled boiled water out on the side if their baby likes it at room temp or not warmed up, however my baby likes her milk pretty warm, she refuses it if its cold! So i think its best for me to put it in the fridge then take it out half hr or so before she is due a feed then add the powder then warm it up.
I guess people do what they think is right x

i was always told if you are adding powder to cool water you arent killing any bacteria which lives in the milk???

I always put the water in the bottles in advance, was alot easier!
I never leave the water for more than 12 hrs though and LO's always been fine. Was told not to but never mind! LO has never had a warm bottle he wont take it warm x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->