Bottle refusers - help, tips and success stories

I previously posted that my baby likes the platex nursers. Well, I went back to work and she stays with her great grandma and will actually take any bottle she gives her! I sent them all that first day and she had drank outta all of them my grandma said. I prefer her be given the Platex drop in nurser but my grandma is STUBBORN and will only give her the tommy tippie (she gave them to me at my shower). So we are dealing with more gas and spit up than we would be if my grandma just used the nurser..

But, I am just glad she is taking a bottle any bottle while I am away. She switches back to the boobie nicely when its time for me to pick her up too.

I previously posted that my baby likes the platex nursers. Well, I went back to work and she stays with her great grandma and will actually take any bottle she gives her! I sent them all that first day and she had drank outta all of them my grandma said. I prefer her be given the Platex drop in nurser but my grandma is STUBBORN and will only give her the tommy tippie (she gave them to me at my shower). So we are dealing with more gas and spit up than we would be if my grandma just used the nurser..

But, I am just glad she is taking a bottle any bottle while I am away. She switches back to the boobie nicely when its time for me to pick her up too.

That must be a huge relief for you!:hugs:

Yes it was, but she is being fed to much while I am away so pumping enough has turned into an isssue in itself!

Yes it was, but she is being fed to much while I am away so pumping enough has turned into an isssue in itself!

That is dofficultM did I read that your mum will be watching LO eventually?

Girls, I think I've cracked it!!

So we tried everything, every bottle brand you can buy. We would have occasional luck but she would soon wise up and reject it soon after. Mimijumi almost worked, but then she refused that too.

We tried various sippy cups too but with no luck :(

Well, I have been trying very hard for the last week as Chloe has terrible constipation and my doctor said it was very important to get her taking water ASAP.

I bought a doidy cup and despite it being a bit messy, she took to it straight away! She holds the handles and brings the cup to her mouth and then I tip it gently and hey presto, she drinks! I have since discovered that she can ONLY drink from a free pour cup, NOT any bottles or cups that she has to suck on to draw the liquid out. The Avent sippy cup is brilliant (with white spout and handles), I have to remove the rubber stop valve under the spout to make it free pour but she drinks from it brilliantly one sip at a time. It has taken a lot of practice and I offer her the cup every half hour throughout the day and she takes a few little sips each time, but she is gradually taking more and more and this morning she took 2oz of water in one go! Yey! I have yet to try with milk but I am more than confident that she will take it, she used to hate water but now she drinks it happily, so milk will surely be a winner!

I will keep you updated with our progress :)

Helen can I ask..is the avent cup you are talking about?

https://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/louisefowler/216d7b693d08f09fa603109c15a0df5e_zps81ad2766.jpg

Where you can remove the stop valve??

Helen can I ask..is the avent cup you are talking about?

https://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/louisefowler/216d7b693d08f09fa603109c15a0df5e_zps81ad2766.jpg

Where you can remove the stop valve??

Yes that's the one! If you remove the spout then on the underside there is a little rubbery transparent circular disk which is attached, you can pull it off easily and this makes it free pour. Hope that helps!

Hi ladies, just read up on your progress...it's great that some of you have had success :).

I'm now about to begin the process of getting LO off the bottle (and onto a sippy / doidy) which seems crazy after spending so long getting her onto one!!!

I love the doidy by the way. Lily uses a doing and one of these for water:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...oAQ&biw=601&bih=906#biv=i|2;d|hrNPihEU53Q-WM:

It has more of a spout than a teat and you can remove the valve to make it free flow too

It's a tommee tippee explora active sipper btw

Well, the mimijumi didn't really take. He started drinking less and less out of it every time until I gave it up. And the other day I bought him a transition sippy cup made by Nuby. It has two handles so he can hold it, and a soft silicone spout that allows him to control the flow of milk. It comes out pretty fast but that's ok as I'm willing for him to make a bit of a mess if it means he'll take it. He's used to my fire hydrant forceful letdown anyway. So, last night my dh did baby duty while I slept in another room and low and behold he drank all the six ounces I had pumped for him and my husband had to thaw out another three ounces! That's the most he has drank out of a bottle/cup since he started this whole strike! I'm so happy! Hope it keeps up. Here's the cup we used if you want to know: https://www.target.com/p/nuby-no-sp...ral-4-pack/-/A-13696376#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink I have the stage 1 cup.

I found with my daughter she would not take breast milk from a bottle point blank refused, was fine with formula though didn't try her with a bottle till 3 months. This time around with my son who is 5 weeks old his dad has Ben giving a bottle of expressed milk every day for the past week. ( using Avnet natural bottles) he's has took to it fine! Fusses a bit if I give it too I'm but still takes it

I guess we're a success story now. LO never refused all bottles outright but was very iffy on them -- some days yes, some days no. They just kept trying at daycare, using their magic daycare tricks, and now he has two of them every day. Which is sad for me, because I would rather come in and nurse, but he doesn't nurse well at daycare (too much going on) so things are happier and more predictable this way. DH says he takes the bottle much more easily from him, too. So persistence is all it takes sometimes -- you don't need to buy more bottles.

I guess we're a success story now. LO never refused all bottles outright but was very iffy on them -- some days yes, some days no. They just kept trying at daycare, using their magic daycare tricks, and now he has two of them every day. Which is sad for me, because I would rather come in and nurse, but he doesn't nurse well at daycare (too much going on) so things are happier and more predictable this way. DH says he takes the bottle much more easily from him, too. So persistence is all it takes sometimes -- you don't need to buy more bottles.

I can second that! Naomi prefers the Playtex drop in nursers... but in all honestly will take any bottle as long as milk is coming out of it. It just took a couple weeks. (I think I have been back a month now.)

this is the end of my second week back at work and dh (a sahd) has been having to use various sippy cups bottles and even a syringe to get LO to take milk...she fusses even when really hungry. but the last 2 days she has taken the NUK bottle with the latex teat for 3 feeds whilst I am out. once I get home she will have a massive feed from me so I think shes only taking what she really really needs from the bottle. on the first week she was waking every 2 hours to feed through the night too, but now its 2 or 3 times, so i think things are settling.
we are moving in the next few weeks and Ill be able to go home for lunch and feed LO then.....not sure how that will affect things.

Help girls I need advice please
I've been trying every day for the past week too get my daughter to take a bottle (6 different kinds) and she's refusing every one :(
Thing is....I gave her a bottle a month ago and she took it without a problem. I stopped for a week or two and now she won't even attempt to try a bottle.
Idk what to do, I've tried a lot. Different times of the day, different temps, DH feeding (trying to lol) different bottles, distractions.

I'm getting married next week and I REALLY would like her to be able to take a bottle.
Please help

Jess, things to try if you haven't already:
- different positions (more upright)
- you leave the house so LO can't smell you
- when LO is sleepy/just woke up
- when LO is not super hungry, but not full either -- a little earlier than when she would usually take a feed.

Also, if you give up, calm her down before you begin nursing, so that she doesn't make as much of a connection between refusing the bottle and getting to nurse instead.

I would just stick to one kind of bottle and temperature (whatever worked before) and try it as much as possible. Good luck :flower: hope your wedding goes well!

Good luck Jess. Not much advice here but I've been through at it is stressful! My son still won't take a bottle and occasionally will drink from his sippy cup. I've finally come to terms with it as it was giving me serious anxiety before. I felt like I would never have a life being tied to lo all the time. Keep trying and remember that even if lo won't take a bottle, she won't starve herself. I had my mom squirt milk into Carter's mouth with a medicine syringe so I could go out. He drank a couple ounces that way and I nursed him when I got back. It will all work out, I promise! :)

Thank you for this thread. My daughter took a bottle of expressed milk for a while but has stopped now. I really want to get to the gym at night when my dh is home from work and not mess up bedtime (so not having to put my daughter in the gym kids care - first child so I'm a little funny with others looking after her still). I will try the suggestions now. Fingers crossed for success. I was recommended the Medela Carma bottle which is designed for breastfeed babies so that the baby doesn't have to change sucking patterns. Have anyone used this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->