Bras - bit of a moan!

PeanutBean

Mumma to B & I
Reaction score
So I ordered a lovely Panache non-wired support bra that arrived today and it really fits badly, even accounting for it not being wired. So I though well I'll try measuring myself again, maybe it's a bit different for non-wired bras. Now before pregnancy I was a very definite 34E. Back did not ride up, was not too tight nor too loose and boobs securely held with no bulging, been a steady 34E for a couple of years with no complaints from backache etc. I went up a cup size in the early months of pregnancy and have been a steady 34F since then so I ordered a 34F for this bra that doesn't fit - I compared it to the bras I'm wearing right now (that fit fine) and can see clearly the cups are smaller and it's clear from the fit that the band is fine but the cups too small. So I did my measurements on a couple of sites and got told I'm a 40C!!!!! How does that make sense? That would make the cup sizes stick out way less compared to the band than I need. If I wore that it would be like a hula hoop around my chest and the cup wouldn't contain one a nipple!

It's so annoying as this range seems only to be available at mothercare and online so will have to keep trying different sizes. There were loads of hooks on the back so I could get away with a 36 to widen things out a bit but now I'm wondering about getting a G! Stupid different bras... All I want is to lounge around in the evening without stupid wires digging into my bump. Boooo.

I went to an underwear boutique yesterday and they were just amazing. I tried tonnes of bras on and she just kept getting different sizes in the same styles. Some of them were just awful and wouldn't fit whatever we did, but others were just lovely.
I have always hated bra shopping, but this was a pleasure. I seriously recomend finding a shop like this to get a good feeding bra in - not a high street store. They are normally very knowledgable and wouldn't let you buy something that doesn't fit properly.

My sister got hers done a local shop so I think I will go there for nursing bras. I was hoping that as I normally wear Panache bras this would be ok but soft cups bras are so different to underwired. Can't be bothered to keep ordering and having to take them back just because they don't stock them in the shops. Grrr...

Im sure mothercare sizes are a bit dodgy ive heard of so many people that have had to get a different size than measured!!

Until this pregnancy I onl y wore victoria secret bras, I went in there a few years ago with my step mum and how they help you is amazing, they measure you up then they have a drawer of bras for each size and in the drawer is each style of bra they make, you try them all on to see which style you like the most and then you can choose your colours!! If you ever in america you have to go!!

but now im wearing horribly uncomfortable bras during the day and having to wear sports bras while at home, cant seem to find any i like at all and im going to need nursing ones in the next few weeks so the search continues!!

x

I did mention previously that measuring isn't accurate and know what I'm talking about as I worked in a lingerie dept a long time ago. You really do have to try the bras on to check the fit...like shoes, all bras fit slightly differently even if they have the same size label. If ill fitting they can cause all sorts of problems for you, even without wires as they can dig in and cause abcesses etc and even compromise your milk supply:cry:

In Bravissiomo the other week I tried on sooooooooooooo many bras in one size and only 3 of them fitted me correctly:hissy:. I tried all different back and cup sizes but seem to have settled at a 38J for now:dohh:

I did mention previously that measuring isn't accurate and know what I'm talking about as I worked in a lingerie dept a long time ago. You really do have to try the bras on to check the fit...like shoes, all bras fit slightly differently even if they have the same size label. If ill fitting they can cause all sorts of problems for you, even without wires as they can dig in and cause abcesses etc and even compromise your milk supply:cry:

In Bravissiomo the other week I tried on sooooooooooooo many bras in one size and only 3 of them fitted me correctly:hissy:. I tried all different back and cup sizes but seem to have settled at a 38J for now:dohh:

No I know...I appreciate your advice but it all means making a special trip out to go and piss about trying on bras in a hot changing room. I miss my old boobs... Everyone said this when I was asking about nursing bras but I can't find the energy to do anything. I've just reserved a birthing ball a 10 min drive away tops and need to go to a mothercare shop to return this crappy bra, in the same place, but I just can't go. I'm supposed to be going to the supermarket and instead DH will go and have to carry it all on the bus home with him from work. The thought of actively going out and trying on bras in Manchester when I'll have had to get the train and walk for ages is more than I can bear. I dunno what to do now... Carry on leaving off my bra in the evening's when it's too uncomfortable I suppose...

I'm totally fed up with the bra thing too. I can't get out to the shops to try a bunch of bras on and all the closer shops are useless. So that leaves online bra shopping. I've got to the point where I am so confused and don't want to spend silly amounts only to have to return useless bras and all the refund rigmarole, that I have given up for the time being. Just too tiring.
In the evenings at home i just take my bra off and hold my boobs if I have to walk around and they feel heavy.
It's all a bit depressing really.

I'm totally fed up with the bra thing too. I can't get out to the shops to try a bunch of bras on and all the closer shops are useless. So that leaves online bra shopping. I've got to the point where I am so confused and don't want to spend silly amounts only to have to return useless bras and all the refund rigmarole, that I have given up for the time being. Just too tiring.
In the evenings at home i just take my bra off and hold my boobs if I have to walk around and they feel heavy.
It's all a bit depressing really.

Well, we can be reassured by being in the same boat!

I so hope my boobs return to their pre-pregnancy size. It was so much easier when they were just normal and I could get the bras I liked from the brand I liked and know they would fit.

i need to be fitted as my bras don't fit right, and i was always comfy..
although, after actually reading about bra sizes since they grew, i've learned i never had the right size as the wire in the centre is supposed to be flush with your chest bone? and mine is out in front between boobs (can't explain this properly) ..
i have to go get a bra fitting done, but from what i know, there isn't much around here....

I went to get measured for my nursing bras this week at mothercare- and was told I was a 38 F- however inside the changing room there was a chart for the fitters saying what the difference between the support bras and nursing bras and what the formular for working out what the nursing bras should be (we need to allow for fitting the breast pad in and the rib cage area decreasing amongst other things).
However the lady didn't use this formular and just told me I was 38f, i even pointed the chart to her- she got me some bras and they were massive on me- all different styles, shapes etc.
So I went to another mothercare(we're lucky in Manchester we have 3!!) and the lady measured me and said in a nursing bra I am a 36 DD, but only in nursing bras- I got loads of styles and most fitted- with enough room for the breast pad etc etc.

You would think that the same company would be able to train the staff all the same- I understand that bras have differnent cups etc and styles will vary the size we get- but my gripe is with the fitting- 2 members of staff getting very different sizes on the same day!

i need to be fitted as my bras don't fit right, and i was always comfy..
although, after actually reading about bra sizes since they grew, i've learned i never had the right size as the wire in the centre is supposed to be flush with your chest bone? and mine is out in front between boobs (can't explain this properly) ..
i have to go get a bra fitting done, but from what i know, there isn't much around here....

That's right, a wired bra should divide properly with the central piece against the rib cage. I know what you mean by out front, that's kind of what soft bras always seem to do as they can never divide big boobs properly. Except aybe the girdered Doreen bras... lol I bought a super-cheap 34F when my cup size went up and my sister passed on one of hers she'd used during pregnancy. The cheap one is a bit of a duff make so isn't fab but was only a few quid, the one from my sister fits fine. My problem is just that when I'm sitting about the wires are digging in at the top of my bump as my bump is getting quite big now.

Actually what I would really really like is a couple of support vests that have actual cup sizes so that they fit. After trawling around for ages I got a couple of vests in a 14 (I was 10/12) from M&S right at the start because my boobs were just so hideously sore I couldn't sleep at night and i could only just get my boobs in then and only by showing most of them off! I will never understand why anything with a boobs part (vests, cross over tops, bikinis etc) is ever made without cup sizes. They must fit only about 3% of the population!

I went to get measured for my nursing bras this week at mothercare- and was told I was a 38 F- however inside the changing room there was a chart for the fitters saying what the difference between the support bras and nursing bras and what the formular for working out what the nursing bras should be (we need to allow for fitting the breast pad in and the rib cage area decreasing amongst other things).
However the lady didn't use this formular and just told me I was 38f, i even pointed the chart to her- she got me some bras and they were massive on me- all different styles, shapes etc.
So I went to another mothercare(we're lucky in Manchester we have 3!!) and the lady measured me and said in a nursing bra I am a 36 DD, but only in nursing bras- I got loads of styles and most fitted- with enough room for the breast pad etc etc.

You would think that the same company would be able to train the staff all the same- I understand that bras have differnent cups etc and styles will vary the size we get- but my gripe is with the fitting- 2 members of staff getting very different sizes on the same day!

Well to be honest I don't believe in getting fitted because whenever I tried in the past they were always wrong. I know how a bra should feel that fits and would rather do it by trial and error if needs be. It's just that I've not the energy to go trying right now.

I didn't know that nursing and support bras were different, that's useful to know and not surprising. I get the impression that soft cup and wired bras fit differently too. Which Mothercare did you get the good service at? When it comes it nursing bras I will do it properly and make a trip out of it, I'll be wearing them for months after all. It'll be useful to know where are the best places to try!

No I know...I appreciate your advice but it all means making a special trip out to go and piss about trying on bras in a hot changing room. I miss my old boobs... Everyone said this when I was asking about nursing bras but I can't find the energy to do anything. I've just reserved a birthing ball a 10 min drive away tops and need to go to a mothercare shop to return this crappy bra, in the same place, but I just can't go. I'm supposed to be going to the supermarket and instead DH will go and have to carry it all on the bus home with him from work. The thought of actively going out and trying on bras in Manchester when I'll have had to get the train and walk for ages is more than I can bear. I dunno what to do now... Carry on leaving off my bra in the evening's when it's too uncomfortable I suppose...

Aww you poor thing:hugs:. Bravissimo is in the Triangle shopping centre which is really near to Victoria train station so even if you can't get a train straight to Victoria you could get a tram over there....just a thought for you.

Either that or pm me and I'll come and pick you up and take you there myself....there's nothing more uncomfy that an ill-fitting bra, especially when preggers. I am free anytime during school hours apart from a Tuesday coz I run a mum and baby group called "Bumps and Babies"....would you believe:rofl:.

:hugs:

Aww you poor thing:hugs:. Bravissimo is in the Triangle shopping centre which is really near to Victoria train station so even if you can't get a train straight to Victoria you could get a tram over there....just a thought for you.

Either that or pm me and I'll come and pick you up and take you there myself....there's nothing more uncomfy that an ill-fitting bra, especially when preggers. I am free anytime during school hours apart from a Tuesday coz I run a mum and baby group called "Bumps and Babies"....would you believe:rofl:.

:hugs:

Awww, you sweetie! My trains come to Piccadilly and the tram station is closed there at the moment until when I know not! I've just arranged for tomorrow to go to a local bra shop that my sister recommended so we'll see how that goes first!

It'll all be easier when I finally finish work and every day is a day of rest unless I choose otherwise, rather than every day being a day of hard work!

No probs....the offer's there if you want it. Any excuse to go into town for a walk around the shops:happydance:....can you tell I don't get out much:rofl::blush:

You would have to endure my 10month old though....he'll flirt with you as he's an outrageous flirt with the women:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well to be honest I don't believe in getting fitted because whenever I tried in the past they were always wrong. I know how a bra should feel that fits and would rather do it by trial and error if needs be. It's just that I've not the energy to go trying right now.

I didn't know that nursing and support bras were different, that's useful to know and not surprising. I get the impression that soft cup and wired bras fit differently too. Which Mothercare did you get the good service at? When it comes it nursing bras I will do it properly and make a trip out of it, I'll be wearing them for months after all. It'll be useful to know where are the best places to try!

The good service was the Mothercare at Ancoats in the City Centre- next to toys r us. The shop is quite messy and the bras are always thrown around the place, but if you have a good dig round you can usually find the size you want,(the toilets are awful though:hissy: )
The other mothercare was the one in Eccles retail park- i'd never been before and it's a lovely new store- not as big as the Ancoats one though, but obviously wasn't happy with the fitting.

I only bought one bra- My midwife said we need about 4, but I want to wait for the boobs to settle and get in a routine before I pay out all that money- and like you will prob go on trial an era of fitting.

I will say Blooming marvellous were really helpful in the city centre aswell- just not a large collection at all.

seems like there's a few of us in the Greater manchester area!!

seems like there's a few of us in the Greater manchester area!!

Woo hoo:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

West One at Eccles is much smaller than Ancoats but is clean and lovely with a nice fitting room and helpful staff.

A tip for when your babies are born too. West One has a little feeding room with lovely glider chairs etc:happydance: (and the toilets are clean:rofl:)

Well, after returning the expensive ill-fitting 34F to Mothercare I popped into my sister's and she has just finished feeding so gave me her two nursing bras, both 36F I think and they are plenty roomy and comfortable so in the end I've spent nothing and not ahd to go to any shops at all! :happydance: lol

:rofl:....great stuff and recycling is great for the environment too.

I gave my sister all my old feeding bras last time coz I was about 3 cup sizes bigger and luckily the ones I gave to her fitted a treat. Lucky bugger, she spent nothing and I spent about £70 on 3 new bra's:dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->