Braxton Hicks???

danapeter36

Reaction score
Hi again ladies

Just can't get enough of this place!
I am getting a tightening, mainly on one side of my tummy, the left hand side. It tightens up and then relaxes. It doesn't hurt but when it happens my tummy goes hard. Anyone else had that? It feels like there is a ball in there?

Thats buuuuba! Pretty sure!! I get that feels like a pressure is increasing like a balloon blowing up then WHAM a hard lump is sticking out, been getting it since about 16 weeks when baby started kicking, when i have that feeling my bump sticks out on one side and looks really freaky and u can push in gently on the other side and it will go in but where the lump is its rock hard, thats cos bub has moved there and nussled in. :D :D :D :D :D

Its Braxton Hicks..I thought?

What are Braxton Hicks contractions?

Sometime towards the middle of your pregnancy (or even earlier), you may notice the muscles of your uterus (womb) tightening, for anywhere from 30 to 60 seconds. This may happen to you several times an hour, several times a day.

Not all of us feel these random, usually painless contractions, which get their name from John Braxton Hicks, an English doctor who first described them in 1872.

Experts have different opinions about Braxton Hicks contractions and their true purpose. Some believe that they play a part in getting your cervix ready for labour (also called "ripening").

Others believe that Braxton Hicks contractions do not lead to changes to the cervix and that ripening only occurs in pre-labour, when the first co-ordinated contractions of labour start or in labour itself.
How can I tell the difference between Braxton Hicks and real labour contractions?

Advertisement

Most women who are pregnant for the first time will ask their midwives or friends this question, and the answer is maddeningly vague: "You'll know real labour when it begins." And they're right.

Labour contractions are noticeably longer as well as more regular, frequent, and painful than Braxton Hicks contractions. Also, labour pains are persistent, and will increase in frequency, duration, and intensity as time goes on, while Braxton Hicks contractions remain unpredictable and non-rhythmic.
What if the Braxton Hicks contractions become painful?

As your pregnancy progresses, these contractions may become more intense and even painful at times. When they start to become more intense and frequent, they may feel like the real thing, but the contractions will still be irregular in intensity, frequency, and duration, and can taper off and then disappear altogether.

In other words, if you ever notice that your contractions are easing up in any way, they are probably Braxton Hicks.

Some healthcare professionals recommend that you think of Braxton Hicks as "practice contractions" not just for your uterus but also for you to rehearse the breathing exercises you'll learn in your antenatal class.
What should I do if they're uncomfortable?

Many women notice that the contractions come more frequently when they do even light physical activity, such as carrying in shopping from the car.

If you feel discomfort, it sometimes helps to lie down, or, conversely, to get up and take a walk - it's the change in activity that can help ease any pain you feel. A warm bath sometimes helps, too.
When should I call my doctor or midwife?

If you are less than 37 weeks pregnant, call if your contractions are accompanied by:

• watery or bloody vaginal discharge

• lower back pain or cramping

These are all signs associated with premature labour.

You should also contact your midwife or doctor if these symptoms occur and you're past 37 weeks, or if you think your waters have broken, if you have any bleeding or if you think your baby's movements have decreased.

Check our other pregnancy symptoms you should never ignore to make sure you haven't missed any other signs of a problem.

If your contractions become longer, stronger, more regular and more frequent then your labour may be starting. Your midwife will probably have talked to you about what to do when you think labour has started, but if you're in any doubt give her a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->