breast fed for 2 weeks while on antibioticsd

fuschia

Reaction score
I started exclusively breastfeeding.

Day 5 baby lost too much weight and it was apparent my supply wasn't enough prob due to large blood loss at c section and so low iron.

From day 5 to day 13 I fed him every time and topped up with formula as advised by midwife. 4 days ago o switched to formula only as was finding it too tough.

I've been so emotional and depressed about it all.

I know think baby may have thrush in his mouth and I have nipple thrush too and that's git me thinking...

Have I done more harm than good by feeding him these 2 weeks as he will have been passed my antibiotics and could this have wiped all his good bacteria in his gut??

If it will help him I will try pumping to give him some breast milk. But before I got no more than 1 oz a time and last night I tried pumping and got less than 1/2 oz as obv I had stopped feeding for 3 days.

I'm sort of pannicking at the moment and can't think straight! I'm so worried I've caused babysit long term immune system issues by feeding him for the time that I was on antibiotics then stopping :(

It's OK, relax. The only time your LO was exposed to the antibiotics he was also getting breastmilk (full of additional good bacteria to colonise his gut). Yes there is some evidence that formula can remove some of the benefits of breastmilk in the gut but your baby has still had more breastmilk than an exclusively formula fed baby.

Many many hundreds of women breastfeed on antibiotics. Some stop breastfeeding, some combi feed. I've not heard any research that this is in any way any more damaging than formula feeding from the start.

If you want to give him more breastmilk that is great, but only if you want to. Depending on how old LO was when you pumped before, one ounce may actually have been quite a normal respectable amount. You have only stopped for a few days so although supply has started to drop you can encourage it back by pumping.

Remember not every woman responds to a pump and all women's breasts are different. Some produce milk quickly in one goand then production slows down until the breast is emptied, some produce milk at a slower steadier pace. If you were breastfeeding this would be reflected in how often and how long your baby wanted to nurse for, but with pumping you don't have the same cues to follow.

Don't try to pump the same volume as the formula he is drinking. Breastmilk and formula are very different.

:hugs: I had thrush when I was feeding dd and she got it in her mouth too. What makes you think he has it? Most babies have a white coat on their tongue because all they're having is milk - so it might not be in his mouth, just appears that way iyswim?? I'd get him looked at by a midwife/dr to confirm.

Honestly I don't think all your hard work has made things "worse" for him. You're doing a great job - don't beat yourself up. Like noon child says a lots of people bf on antibiotics. I was prescribed some last week & the dr assured me that only a tiny amount would pass into breastmilk.

(I've since stopped bf but not because of the antibiotics)

Keep doing whatever is best for you & your lo :hugs:

Thanks for replying both of you.
K4th - so if your son exclusively formula fed now too? I just can't seem to shake this guilt ! I'm not sure if its the baby blues (Mum says it is) or pnd or what but I'm feeling so down about it all!! I feel like I need to talk to people in same position that have started formula feeding. There's loads of places to go for breast feeding support but no where for formula feeding guilt ridden mummy's lol

My brain tells me everything is OK but my heart tells me to be ott and irrational about it all!!

It is possible that only I have the nipple thrush... But when I look in callums mouth he has a light white coating on his tongue and a few white spots on inside of his lips.... They don't come off when I wipe like suggested on NHS site.

I have ordered some pro biotic drops now for him which were recommended by my Doula So they will help him build up the good bacteria in his gut again so that is good :)

Thanks for replying both of you.
K4th - so if your son exclusively formula fed now too? I just can't seem to shake this guilt ! I'm not sure if its the baby blues (Mum says it is) or pnd or what but I'm feeling so down about it all!! I feel like I need to talk to people in same position that have started formula feeding. There's loads of places to go for breast feeding support but no where for formula feeding guilt ridden mummy's lol

My brain tells me everything is OK but my heart tells me to be ott and irrational about it all!!

It is possible that only I have the nipple thrush... But when I look in callums mouth he has a light white coating on his tongue and a few white spots on inside of his lips.... They don't come off when I wipe like suggested on NHS site.

I have ordered some pro biotic drops now for him which were recommended by my Doula So they will help him build up the good bacteria in his gut again so that is good :)

The formula feeding section of this forum has a breastfeeding loss/guilt sticky that might make you feel better or at least not alone.

I champion and support bf BUT it has nothing to do with making Mums who chose not to bf feel guilty. That choice is none of my business. If you want to get baby back to your breast then there is support here and elsewhere like you said, but if you want to FF then do so and doing let other people's choices/opinions affect you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->