• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breast pumping for longer ok?

vs011

Reaction score
Is it ok to pump for more than 2 hrs? My right breast is extra leaky today and I've been pumping for 2 hrs already and still going strong for some reason. Should I continue pumping till I drain the breast? I have about 4oz from 2hrs of pumping.

Wow! Two hours straight? I would definitely give your breasts a break, and wear a breast pad to collect any leaking milk. I know I start to get sore after 30 minutes.

Woah! That's a long time! Are your nipples getting sore? I'm not sure that you should pump so long. Maybe take a break and try pumping every two hours or something. Let it build up and you should be able to get more milk in less time.

I know from bitter, painful experience that you shouldn't pump longer than 20-30 minutes at a time, maximum. I spent months with raw, bleeding, painful nipples from doing 2x 1 hour blocks of pumping per day. Now I do 3 or 4 30-minute pumps and my boobs are thanking me for it!

Are you massaging and doing compressions to help empty your breasts? You will get more out in less time dong this.

Do you have any sore or hard bits on the leaky side? I ask because these days I only ever leak when I've got a blocked duct, and it gets all hard and sore and the milk tastes salty. Heat, lots of massage, and pumping little and often is the best answer to that, I find.

Thanks for the replies. The pump hasnt given me any nipple soreness yet. My newborn is days old only so i suppose my body is still working out some kinks. I just had an unusually leaky breast but I drained it all out in the 2hrs & feel much better now. I doubt i will get that lucky again.

Your breasts will be less leaky in a few weeks. It takes time for your body to regulate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->