Breastfeeding - Why will/won't you?

They're probably poorer sleepers on average because formula has stuff in it that is harder to digest than breast milk is :shrug: I don't think they're any clingier than FF babys who are only fed by mummy though.

Hey

I'm still up and down about this one. For years as a teen and young adult I was convinced I wouldn't - I'm really flat chested and figured I would not only be daft to try but unable lol!!! Anyway, I've since come to learn and realise this is most likely utter nonsense and therefore I'm pretty keen to try.

However, I have nothing against people who FF and if I have to I will. I do hope to BF tho :D

- Dinah

Hi Dinah, the size of your boobs has nothing to do with it, promise :) My friend is, by her own admission, flat as a pancake and not only is she pleased that she's spending a year with some boobs for once but she also doesn't have a problem with supply or anything!

It was a little tricky for me to get Sofia to latch on as she was sooo small (1.8kg when she left hospital) but it only took a few days for her to get the hang of it, and that was after her being tube/syringe/bottle fed for 3 weeks.

I took all the help I could get and I love it. It's true it can be uncomfortable for some people at first but I think there are very few cases where it is uncomfortable for more than a few weeks. My nipples were a bit sore up until 8 weeks, but not sore enough to have to use a cream if that makes sense.

Of all the babies i know and have known (obviously this is just my experience) the breast fed babies seemed constantly hungry and grumpy, and the breast feeding mummies knackered and stressed. This is why i will formula feed: i do not want my babies to be constantly hungry and grumpy, and i do not want myself to be constantly knackered and stressed.

I am planning on BFing my next LO (Ruby wouldn't stay on for more than 2 secs so I had to FF, no one could help me) but I worry about this too, I am absolutely rubbish at managing on not much sleep and my friends' BF babies do seem to be clingier and poorer sleepers than Ruby. However this could also be due to lack of routine.

:hugs: Sorry you didn't get the help you needed! I also didn't find the hospital lactation experts in Oxford very helpful, the woman told me "it's not your baby it's you" which was probably true but made me feel like crap! Luckily my sister was coming to stay, and she helped me get Sofia to latch on even though she FF by choice. Then I met up lots with the women from my baby group who are all bfing and that was a great help.

You're prob right. It wouldn't stop me trying to BF anyway!

I often wonder what Ruby's sleeping would be like if she wad BF. In the early days I was knackered and didn't want to get up to make a bottle, so often settled her in the night without feeding her. With BF I think I'd have just fed her each time she woke and set up a pattern...who knows though.

I would like the BF, yeah. But I worry not because my boobs are small, but maybe that they are too big! I think I would suffocate a baby with a boob the size of its head (maybe bigger!)

I'll give it a try but if I have to FF then so be it!

I b/f Amelia for 8mnths, i had to stop when i went back to work but with no.2 i would like to b/f for longer.

I can honestly say that B/Fing was THE hardest but most rewarding thing i have EVER done! (besides giving birth lol)

If anyone wants to BF then from my experience you need to be very determined and do some research.

I would like the BF, yeah. But I worry not because my boobs are small, but maybe that they are too big! I think I would suffocate a baby with a boob the size of its head (maybe bigger!)

Your boob will be mega bigger than a newborns head :rofl: Looks really funny.

This is one thing that bugs me, if im an f now, how big are they going to get?
Wont mind if it purks them up a bit:blush:

boobs are made for feeding babies - mine were bigger than my newborns head to start with but they settle !!

boobs are made for feeding babies - mine were bigger than my newborns head to start with but they settle !!

Mine are bigger than my OHs head, he finds it funny to put my bra on his head

Sadly after the feeding they go the opposite direction!

Mine are pretty big and with Byron I had to hold them out of the way f his nose so he could breath. BF was a three-handed affair! lol

Sadly after the feeding they go the opposite direction!

Mine are pretty big and with Byron I had to hold them out of the way f his nose so he could breath. BF was a three-handed affair! lol

Mine are allready the opposite direction:rofl: Im hoping they might purk up

Im gonna be brave and be the first person in this thread to admit to not wanting to breast feed

*shields self from people preparing to throw rocks & insults*

I know that my experience is nowhere near as far reaching as a proper scientific study, but i am going to base my decision depending on what i have witnessed, and not what i am told!

Of all the babies i know and have known (obviously this is just my experience) the breast fed babies seemed constantly hungry and grumpy, and the breast feeding mummies knackered and stressed. This is why i will formula feed: i do not want my babies to be constantly hungry and grumpy, and i do not want myself to be constantly knackered and stressed.

As for the health side of it, from what i have experienced the breast fed babies have all been less healthy than the bottle fed babies! Asthma, general sickness, and pneumonia no less! As such, I believe there are far too many factors that make a sick child, than to be able to pin it on one thing. I think that you either have a child who is prone to sickness, or you dont!

I also think that you learn a lot from ur parents, and my mum bottle fed her 3 babies- none of us have ever been actually admitted to hospital for anything other than a broken arm: which even breastfed children would have got if they fell off a shed roof.. that was my naughty sister- not me!!!

:\ That's extremely ignorant. Breastfeeding benefits are scientifically proven, it's not an opinion so basing YOUR opinion on the complete oposite is kind of ludicrious.

Once upon a time scientists proved that the world was flat.

Once upon another time they also proved that cigarettes were good for you.

Yes they've been right about more things than theyve been wrong, but they're not 100% right bout everything! So, im basing my opinion of breastfeeding on my experience of breastfeeding!

Im gonna be brave and be the first person in this thread to admit to not wanting to breast feed

*shields self from people preparing to throw rocks & insults*

I know that my experience is nowhere near as far reaching as a proper scientific study, but i am going to base my decision depending on what i have witnessed, and not what i am told!

As for the health side of it, from what i have experienced the breast fed babies have all been less healthy than the bottle fed babies! Asthma, general sickness, and pneumonia no less! As such, I believe there are far too many factors that make a sick child, than to be able to pin it on one thing. I think that you either have a child who is prone to sickness, or you dont!

I also think that you learn a lot from ur parents, and my mum bottle fed her 3 babies- none of us have ever been actually admitted to hospital for anything other than a broken arm: which even breastfed children would have got if they fell off a shed roof.. that was my naughty sister- not me!!!

:\ That's extremely ignorant. Breastfeeding benefits are scientifically proven, it's not an opinion so basing YOUR opinion on the complete oposite is kind of ludicrious.

Yes they've been right about more things than theyve been wrong, but they're not 100% right bout everything! So, im basing my opinion of breastfeeding on my experience of breastfeeding!

OMG this has to be a joke - i have not had a RANT about this thus far but this is stuupid.

do you thing that spontainusly we produce milk after giving birth for fun !!!!!!

FACT we are designed to breast feed babies - we have a choice weather to or not (most of us do) the scientist arent wrong thats just daft. get a grip -

This thread is about choice and we all have a chioce but to suggest that it is potentially not the way it is intended or indeed that it could be bad is just out of this world !!

Hi, I am def going to BF. I BF'd my DD until she was 1 and i am am currently doing the training to become a La Leche Breastfeeding peer counsellor. The things i am learning are amazing, and if i am lucky enough to have another baby i plan to breast feed for longer.

Ps. If any of you have any factual questions about breast feeding feel free to give me a shout and hopefully i'll be able to answer

x

I'm sorry but these statements are complete crap. I think you'll find that people smoked tobacco and thought the world was flat long before science even existed.

For those that are worried about losing sleep in the night because of BF. I just wanted to say that I co-sleep and BF and I sleep straight through basically because when she wakes up and wants to eat I just feed her and sleep at the same time. :haha: Getting up and sterilizing/making a bottle takes WAY more time and effort than BF in my opinion. But than again, I cosleep so it hasn't been an issue. Just a suggestion though!! :hugs:

As a BF mommy right now, I definately plan on breastfeeding again. It is hard in the beginning and still hard at times as we are both still pretty new at it, but completely worth it to me. I love having that little face looking up at me with love when I provide her with nourishment and even comfort when she needs it. :cloud9:

:rofl: No they didnt!!! Theologians believed it was flat because they believed the universe was 'layered' and we lived in a hierarchy with heaven at the top, hell at the bottom and Earth somewhere in between.

People 'believed' that cigarettes were good for you and scientists proved then weren't!

I've always imagined myself breastfeeding but then again, I wouldn't be too upset if it didn't work out that way. It just seems so much more natural and easier.

I FF my daughter because I got nil help with her latching on. she latched on for an hour after birth, and twice for about 5 minutes the next day and then i had difficulties. The only help i recieved was a mw/nurse on the ward pinching my nipple and forcing it into my screaming baby's mouth! After three days of me and the baby getting worked up, me constantly asking for help and not receiving it, they gave me a bottle, which in hindsight was thw worst thing as it made it even harder for me to get her latched on. I expressed for two weeks but i couldnt keep up with the demand.....so.......some people do not get the choice.

I will be intending to breastfeed this baby and i have set it up already with my MW that i will be getting help with BF.

Can i add, my daughter is as healthy as can be and hasnt even had a cold.....she is nearly 11 months old!

TBH there are pros and cons to everything, I do not believe that breastmilk is any more healthier than formula (as there are plenty FF babies in great health and it depends on the diet of the mother as to the quality of the breastmilk) to me, it is just the most natural way f feeding your baby as thats what our breasts are designed for. However, forumla is there for mothers who cant or wont breastfeed. If someone doesnt want to breatsfeed, that is their choice and we should respect that. Just as its a parents choice to co-sleep, use cloth nappies etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->