Breastfeeding - Why will/won't you?

Oh for goodness sakes - Who cares what way and why! :lol:

Lets not throw our changing bags at each other please!

I will be for atleast the first few weeks for 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only:
- for attachment/bond
- for the health benefits

However, people have to understand BF is not always possible, when i was a baby i refused so was FF and i turned out fine! So BF is not a must

Im gonna be brave and be the first person in this thread to admit to not wanting to breast feed

*shields self from people preparing to throw rocks & insults*

I know that my experience is nowhere near as far reaching as a proper scientific study, but i am going to base my decision depending on what i have witnessed, and not what i am told!

Of all the babies i know and have known (obviously this is just my experience) the breast fed babies seemed constantly hungry and grumpy, and the breast feeding mummies knackered and stressed. This is why i will formula feed: i do not want my babies to be constantly hungry and grumpy, and i do not want myself to be constantly knackered and stressed.

As for the health side of it, from what i have experienced the breast fed babies have all been less healthy than the bottle fed babies! Asthma, general sickness, and pneumonia no less! As such, I believe there are far too many factors that make a sick child, than to be able to pin it on one thing. I think that you either have a child who is prone to sickness, or you dont!

I also think that you learn a lot from ur parents, and my mum bottle fed her 3 babies- none of us have ever been actually admitted to hospital for anything other than a broken arm: which even breastfed children would have got if they fell off a shed roof.. that was my naughty sister- not me!!!

:\ That's extremely ignorant. Breastfeeding benefits are scientifically proven, it's not an opinion so basing YOUR opinion on the complete oposite is kind of ludicrious.

Once upon a time scientists proved that the world was flat.

Once upon another time they also proved that cigarettes were good for you.

Yes they've been right about more things than theyve been wrong, but they're not 100% right bout everything! So, im basing my opinion of breastfeeding on my experience of breastfeeding!

OMG this has to be a joke - i have not had a RANT about this thus far but this is stuupid.

do you thing that spontainusly we produce milk after giving birth for fun !!!!!!

FACT we are designed to breast feed babies - we have a choice weather to or not (most of us do) the scientist arent wrong thats just daft. get a grip -

This thread is about choice and we all have a chioce but to suggest that it is potentially not the way it is intended or indeed that it could be bad is just out of this world !!

Dont worry, im not saying that we aren,t supposed to breast feed,(apologies if it came across that way?!) of course we are: its nature This thread is titled "Breastfeeding: why will/wont you"
And seeing as all the answers were from people who want to breast feed, and i am certain that i dont, i just thought id give an opinion from the opposite side of the fence? I had to make my post clear, as i know that this is a subject that people feel strongly about!

Yes we do have a choice, but it seems (from this thread at least) that there is only one acceptable choice, and that it is not the choice i have made! I never said that we shouldnt breast feed- just that i dont want to, because i personally have not seen great health differences due to breastfeeding!

The scientist thing was just me being cocky, and trying to add more reasons to my reasons! When actually, the fact that its my choice (plain and simple) should have been enough.

I'm very interested in formula feeding and would love to know more about those who chose to formula feed. Most people say 'it was right' for us, but I'd love to know more. Exactly why chose to formula feed? KateM you seem very open, can you pinpoint exactly why you want to FF?

Yes we do have a choice, but it seems (from this thread at least) that there is only one acceptable choice, and that it is not the choice i have made! I never said that we shouldnt breast feed- just that i dont want to, because i personally have not seen great health differences due to breastfeeding!

The scientist thing was just me being cocky, and trying to add more reasons to my reasons! When actually, the fact that its my choice (plain and simple) should have been enough.

That's the bottom line. It's personal choice and to me that IS enough. I think had you posted along those lines people wouldnt have been so outraged at some of your suggestions. When you start making statements questioning facts people are going to respond.

My sister FF from birth and I have other friends who did too. It's their choice and that's good enough for me. If you choose to FF from birth that's your choice and you dont have to justify it to anyone. :)

I'm very interested in formula feeding and would love to know more about those who chose to formula feed. Most people say 'it was right' for us, but I'd love to know more. Exactly why chose to formula feed? KateM you seem very open, can you pinpoint exactly why you want to FF?
Why? Why are you bothered or interested? Not having a pop just curious :flower: Why does there have to be an explanation for either way ...thats just what YOU wanted nobody else even matters.

Why is anyone bothered what another Mum decides and why she does ...I don't get it at all ...I don't understand why I ever answered these questions in the past and don't understand why others haven't learnt the same in time ...only a short one needed on here :lol:

x

Why? Why are you bothered or interested? Not having a pop just curious :flower: Why does there have to be an explanation for either way ...thats just what YOU wanted nobody else even matters.x

I'm just generally interested in the choices people make. All the Mummy friends I have, and relatives, all tried to breastfeed and went to formula when it didn't work for them (for various reasons). I don't know anyone who made a concious choice to use Formula, and I'm interested in it. I like to compare/discuss parenting things, I'm interested in why people do things differently to me. Hard to explain really - the feeding issue is one that is really important to me, and I'm interested to understand those who are equally passionate about formula, and why. Hope that makes sense!

asacia - We will be doing and 'Ask a Mum' thread in about 2 weeks time with a mum who FF from birth so you'll be able to ask someone who is up for questions about her choice! :D

Sure! :thumbup:

I think it boils down to learning from my mum really! :shrug: I saw her raise 3 perfectly healthy babies on formula alone (not sure why she FF from birth- could b interesting to ask!) and ive seen friends really struggle with breastfeeding. So i guess thats it!

Sorry to any1 who i offended before, i really didnt mean to! :flower:

I FF my daughter because I got nil help with her latching on. she latched on for an hour after birth, and twice for about 5 minutes the next day and then i had difficulties. The only help i recieved was a mw/nurse on the ward pinching my nipple and forcing it into my screaming baby's mouth! After three days of me and the baby getting worked up, me constantly asking for help and not receiving it, they gave me a bottle, which in hindsight was thw worst thing as it made it even harder for me to get her latched on. I expressed for two weeks but i couldnt keep up with the demand.....so.......some people do not get the choice.

I will be intending to breastfeed this baby and i have set it up already with my MW that i will be getting help with BF.

Can i add, my daughter is as healthy as can be and hasnt even had a cold.....she is nearly 11 months old!

TBH there are pros and cons to everything, I do not believe that breastmilk is any more healthier than formula (as there are plenty FF babies in great health and it depends on the diet of the mother as to the quality of the breastmilk) to me, it is just the most natural way f feeding your baby as thats what our breasts are designed for. However, forumla is there for mothers who cant or wont breastfeed. If someone doesnt want to breatsfeed, that is their choice and we should respect that. Just as its a parents choice to co-sleep, use cloth nappies etc.

I had EXACTLY the same experience. You really do need help with bf if the baby can't latch on and success depends on whether you get that help and support. I got no help and did manage to give my son breast milk for about a month (expressing mainly) but just couldn't keep it up. I was really dissapointed to stop and switch to FF but it was all that I could do to keep my sanity. My son had a tongue tie, which I now realise was probably the reason, but at the time no one helped or suggested having it cut. These are things I know I should have pushed for then, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I will def try BF again, and hope for more success next time. Of course breast milk is best but, my son was mainly FF and has only had 2 colds and is nearly 1. I cook all his food and make sure he gets a good balanced diet.
BF is a strange topic - everyone is different and some find it easier than others. There is an incredible amount of pressure which doesn't help when you 'fail' and then feel like very guilty!!!

I would like to give it a go. Actually I would prefer to bf up until I return to work. BFing while I work wouldn't suit me.

But I am aware that sometimes things don't work out the way you planned and sometimes FF may be more suited. Whether it is due to latching problems, medical issues, not making milk or not suiting lifestyle it is still a good option. Would be worse if we didn't feed them at all!!!

I'm body concious so I don't know how I would cope with that aspect of BF, I would probably want my privacy while doing it so I think I will have to have a nice set up in the babies room incase there are visitors around and I want privacy

I will breastfeed our next baby. I feel like Connor didn't really get sick last cold season until I had to stop. I loved the fact that when he woke up at 2am I didn't have to go make/warm up a bottle, the milk was already ready to go.

Why? Why are you bothered or interested? Not having a pop just curious :flower: Why does there have to be an explanation for either way ...thats just what YOU wanted nobody else even matters.x

I'm just generally interested in the choices people make. All the Mummy friends I have, and relatives, all tried to breastfeed and went to formula when it didn't work for them (for various reasons). I don't know anyone who made a concious choice to use Formula, and I'm interested in it. I like to compare/discuss parenting things, I'm interested in why people do things differently to me. Hard to explain really - the feeding issue is one that is really important to me, and I'm interested to understand those who are equally passionate about formula, and why. Hope that makes sense!

Yer makes sense.

I don't mind talking about it generally if someone asks from curious its the fighting for my/our/the choice (either choice that is) that gets annoying as Im sure you agree :lol:

Me personally I think I naturally thought bottle I didn't know anything about breastfeeding but also ...
a) I was given no info on it by MW at all I just thought that was right to plod along through 37 weeks in my case
b) I did have the option in mind (SC wanted me to also for a few weeks)
c) Caitlin wouldn't latch on when she arrived in the world
d) when I went to the ward she hadn't fed still and nurses said she needed a bottle maybe and Mummy sleep (Id had none in 36 hours) so I nodded and zonked out
c) when I got home I tried twice and she wouldn't latch on but tbh I had no idea what the hell I was doing not a clue

All I know afterwards is with Caitlin is I never had any milk leaks in pregnancy or after her birth either :confused: I was told my boobs would get SORE which they never ...and until Megan I had no idea what they meant [ouch haha]

Oh and a week later I think it was the 3rd HV I seen said I could maybe try again but it would be hard and tbh I'd spent my entire pregnancy a nervous wreck that I was clueless enough and it felt naturally right for me to continue. TBH now after becoming a parent (I never paid too much attention to pregnancy and parenting discussions prior to my Caitlin) I see how hard trying a week later can be so I'm kinda glad I didn't & I did in the back of mind through any thought of which one know a little abou breastfeeding in public ...Im a very nervous self concious (sp?) person and it didn't feel comfortable for me 'personally'.

:flower:

TBH there are pros and cons to everything, I do not believe that breastmilk is any more healthier than formula (as there are plenty FF babies in great health and it depends on the diet of the mother as to the quality of the breastmilk) to me, it is just the most natural way f feeding your baby as thats what our breasts are designed for. However, forumla is there for mothers who cant or wont breastfeed. If someone doesnt want to breatsfeed, that is their choice and we should respect that. Just as its a parents choice to co-sleep, use cloth nappies etc.

well said.

i think its a shame people r so quick to judge other peoples choices when it comes to the great BF/FF debate. FF provokes a reaction similiar to child abuse! and beacuse of that info on the subject is becoming obsolete...its baffles me. Its not stopping people FF, its stopping people knowing how to do it safely.
I heard a women on my ward in hospital getting told off by a nurse for having made a 9oz bottle up and using it all night without making a fresh one for each feed. this woman clearly had no idea and no had helped her to execute her choice safely.
the way i see it is we live in a modern society. we've created things to make life more convenient like supermarkets, pesticides, medication, plastic surgery, modern technology (to name a few) etc which aren't the natural and maybe not the healthiest way of doing something but they offer benefits to people in other ways (like improving someones mental health by taking away the stress of doing something the 'natural' way) and we all have to weigh up the pros and cons of each thing and make a choice. i chose to opt for homebirth because i think its the natural way of doing things and better for a multitude of reasons but i don't judge people who chose hospital births and medication...i think its something to celebrate that we live in a time where that choice is availible. For me the most important thing is to have a happy and chilled vibe around a baby so that they don't feel stressed and if struggling to BF gets too much and u take advantage of the modern convenience of FF then thats fine and i doubt ur child will suffer forever more for that decision...i do think BF is clearly the way nature indended babies to b fed but i must admit i haven't ever witnessed any health differences between FF and BF babies. i only know these differences exist through reading abt them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->