Bump, Flushes, Dimples and Beyond [closed]

I completely forgot to tell you that we had S weighed yesterday. He now weighs 15lbs 13oz at 20 weeks. The HV was happy with his gain and told me to "continue to do whatever it is I am doing". :thumbup: I was really happy about the weight gain as some of you might remember we had some BF issues and I was concerned he might not get enough from the boob alone since we completely stopped giving any bottles before Christmas, but looks like all is well. *Touches wood*

have you tried rubbing grated raw carrot on to soothe the nipple?

Quick catch-up while J is napping.

Brig - you poor thing, I hope you're both feeling ok, I'm afraid I have nothing to suggest, but the carrot thing of Moggy's sounds good, particularly if cold!

Pip - Great news on the weight, glad the issues haven't had any implications on his weight. Did you get my e-mails with pictures, sorry I sent them all separately, I tried to send them on one and it wouldn't work.

Ann, it could be worth trying a cranial osteopath, it worked for a friend of mine too.

Hi everyone else :hi:

J had her 3rd set of jabs this morning, poor thing, I gave her a little Calpol and she's sleeping now so I hope she wakes up still feeling ok. We go back to the doc's this afternoon to get her weighed, I'm SO nervous:sick:. If she's dropped down further than the 25th centile line then I know the HV is going to talk to me about supplementing with a bottle and I'm not sure how I feel about that:shrug:. I'm not sure whether I'd prefer to think about beginning the weaning process sooner, she's 4 months this week. I really wanted to try BLW but wonder if she'll get to 6 months without anything extra. She's certainly nowhere near sitting up!! :haha: What do you guys think? :flower:

MrsMils, I received them all. They are beautiful...ver arty. She is a little stunner. :cloud9:

Do you think the HV will suggest formula to supplement? If so, maybe you could supplement with a bottle of EBM until she is ready for BLW if you'd prefer for her to have BM?

Lydia we wanted to try BLW with Jack but same as Mogster he needed something more. He didnt want more milk as I offered additional feeds but he didnt want them. We started mush at 19weeks and 3 days and he became more settled, he had chicken casserole yesterday for the first time and he had a long nap at lunchtime for the first day in weeks, same today *touchwood* soon as he hits 6 months we plan to move to a more self feeding approach. Just because you start with tasts of puree doesnt mean you have to go all the way through the traditional weaning route, you could just do weaning J-stylee :)

How old is she ins weeks? 17 weeks is the cut off and if you think about it the recommendations change all the time. When my mum had me it was 12 weeks or 12lbs - I would have been weaning Jack at a fortnight or so old :wacko: In Israel they routinely wean at 8 weeks yet in China/Japan not sure which it is closer to 2 YEARS :shock:

Trust your gut, you are her Mummy and you have gotten her this far so sure you will know what to do. HV can guide, advise and support but she cant make you do anything you dont want or that you dont want for J

Rant over :)

Ann did you get pic of Jackster in the polly after chicken casserole?

Well put, Moggy! :thumbup: You are completely right, mummies will know what's best for their LO's whether it is BM only, formula, starting on mush or something else. Just a shame that some HV come across a bit strong rather than just for advice, support and guidance.

Can I see the pic of the Jackster after the chicken casserole? *waiting patiently* :coffee:

The strangest thing happened to us the other day: :wacko:

OH and I were in Tesco with S looking at the nappies. S was nicely cosied up in his carseat, which was sat in the trolley. 3 women walk past, one of them looks at S and says "Awww!" while passing. We kept looking at the nappies when she came back into the aisle and said completely serious: "Is that Joanne's?". I didn't know what to say, OH asked her to repeat herself, so she asked again: "Is that Joanne's?". OH looked at her in disbelief and asked: "Joanne who?". She then just walked away...probably feeling like a right fool.

What a strange thing to say to someone, don't you think. :wacko: I mean really. Yep, we are in Tesco buying nappies with Joanne's baby...

bizarre :wacko:

Pip is was a mobile pic, pm your number and will send it to you :hugs:

I want it tooooooooo Moggy!!! :D

Lydia, Moggy is sooo right, do what you want to do xxx

Thanks Ladies, I know I need to trust my instincts but I couldn't feel much worse right now.

Firstly - J is now lower than the 25th percentile (having started above the 75th), so even lower than last time. Different HV who said I should think about one bottle a day of formula, but when I asked more questions she said that I could keep going with BF unless she seemed unhappy (which she doesn't at the moment, she has yet to even have a sniffle since we left hospital, so we're really lucky that she seems so healthy, so I'm really reluctant to change something which is obviously working, yet I really don't want her to be skinny for the sake of my BF'ding.

Secondly, and the reason I'm feeling truly horrible, is that I've managed to give her the third lot of jabs a week and a half early. I don't know how I've managed it, but date when they were due etc all written incorrectly in my diary. I only worked it out because the letter to tell me I needed to book them arrived in the post once we'd got back from having given them to her. I feel sick. Poor little thing seems fine and the nurse assured me that it was ok and didn't matter, but I feel SO guilty that I've potentially put her at risk by being so stupid. I was involved in the court cases surrounding the MMR controversy as well, so you'd think I'd be switched on about these things. I can't stop crying and worrying about it.

No Moggy I didn't get it. I had a 'failure notice' but it said it was from Christmas! Weird. Maybe you could try again as it said something about software failure which I guess is to do with my phone?

Speaking of weird, Pip, that is so odd! It sounds like maybe she wasn't all there as that is such a strange thing to say to someone with a baby. And that's great news re the weight gain!!

Brig, poor you and your itchy nipples! If you want to stop BF I think you should as you've done so well to get this far!

Lydia, yey to jabs being over with! Harry was very upset but is now totally fine and playing on his mat. Such a relief!

We had Harry weighed and he's dipped again. He is now 14lb 9oz which means he's only put on a pound in a month. When he was born he was on the 91st percentile line. For a while he was then on the 50th and now he's inbetween the 25th and 50th. The HVs aren't too worried as both dh and I are small so he will probably be small too and was just a large baby. She did say the latest dip could be either due to his teething or that he's ready to be weaned although she told me to try and wait a couple more weeks as they now recommend weaning at 20 weeks. I'm giving him some mush to taste every day but am being very relaxed about it but in a few weeks I might start weaning properly. To be honest I would be glad to cut down on BF as he bites me quite a bit and with his new teeth it really hurts!

:hi: Claire and Yas!

MrsMils, huge :hugs:

I am sure there is no need for you to worry about the jabs. I am thinking that if it was that important, surely the nurse or doctor would have checked prior to administering? I am sure it is not easy, but try not to blame yourself. You're a fab mummy! :thumbup:

As for the weight: Looking at your pics you look slim yourself, so could it be like F&C's baby she is just slim like you? Just think about your different options and how you feel about them and whatever your decision will be, I'm sure will be the right one. I am getting the feeling from your last post that you are quite keen to keep up the BF for a bit longer. If that is the case I would (as I suggested earlier) think about topping her up with EBM. You will probably find that she might drink more from a bottle than from your boob, which in turn might help with her weight gain? I have a wonderful contact at La Leche League, who helped me a lot. I would happily pass on your details if you would like me to. :hugs:

surely like Pip says they would check the red book :wacko:

As for centile charts ignore them. Jack has put on just 7.5lbs since birth so the 98th centile of birth is a distant memory for us, he is destined to be long like Mogster! Guessing J will be slim like her Mummy

Lydia, Sorry I missed your post. Like Pip says, please don't be harsh on yourself as there is no harm done. And like you say the nurse said it wasn't a problem. Did you have to arrange them yourself? Ours automatically got sent to us.

Also, it sounds like J is following a similar curve to Harry but our HVs aren't fussed at all. I'm sure J will tell you if she's hungry so do what you feel is right. Either way I'm sure it'll be the right decision.

Big :hugs: x

Lydia, I am not sue if this helps, but have you looked at this chart? It is the chart for BF babies. If it doesn't help, just ignore it. :winkwink: https://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/cht_wfa_girls_p_0_6.pdf

Pip is there one for boys? :)

https://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/cht_wfa_boys_p_0_6.pdf

They can all be found here: https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/114404-bfing-growth-charts.html

Stupid centile charts, stressing people out!!!

K started off 5th centile and is now 91st so we have the opposite here. I'm short and fat so maybe he will be, and you're slim so maybe she will be!!! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->