Caging animals

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
Does anyone else think this is incredibly cruel? A friend just bought a parrot, poor thing. I told her too, didn't go down well to be honest but why would you put a bird in a bloody cage :dohh:

A rabbit in a hutch:nope: :(

I don't think you can really care for animals if you would do this

Anyone find it sad ?

I think it's very sad. I don't keep any pets for this reason, it just seems weird to me. I was going to get chickens at one point but they'd be limited to the cage/run for most of the day while I'm at work so I didn't bother.
It's like when people have dogs and never walk them. What is the point? Incredibly selfish.

Exactly I just think it's awful...it's accepted cruelty in society.

I think in years time we will look back like we do now about animals in a circus etc

Well, I have a hedgehog who lives in a cage, and frogs that live in a tank, so I suppose I'm cruel.

They're very well cared for and loved and seem perfectly happy so I've never thought to be particularly sad for them.

Most household pet animals (save dogs and cats) don't know their butts from a hole in the wall, let alone have the higher thinking to realize it's depressing to be in a cage.

Of course I believe that these pets probably need some time outside of the cage to explore (the amount of time depends on the animal), and enough room for plenty of movement inside the cage, but it's much less 'cruel' than the reality of natural predators and starvation if they were wild.

A parrot can and should spend lots of time out of their cage, and plenty of climbing space inside the cage, but they actually like going back into their cage and sleeping in there, it's like their bedroom.

depends on what you mean by living in a cage.

If an animal is confined to a small cage all its life, then yes, it is cruel.
If the cage is large enough, with enough stimulation (from other animals, toys, things to explore, etc) and the animal gets stimulating time out of the cage as well, then I don't see it as cruel.
Some animals you cannot keep safe outside of a cage. I could not imagine having a rodent, bird or reptile running loose in the house all the time. It's not safe for the animal and not pleasant for the owner either.

Different animals have different needs. Some need a lot of time outside the cage, others much less.

Most household pet animals (save dogs and cats) don't know their butts from a hole in the wall, let alone have the higher thinking to realize it's depressing to be in a cage.

Of course I believe that these pets probably need some time outside of the cage to explore (the amount of time depends on the animal), and enough room for plenty of movement inside the cage, but it's much less 'cruel' than the reality of natural predators and starvation if they were wild.

A parrot can and should spend lots of time out of their cage, and plenty of climbing space inside the cage, but they actually like going back into their cage and sleeping in there, it's like their bedroom.

That's exactly how I see it with my hedgehog. He's always warm, has constant access to food and water, and is completely safe.

I'd love to let him just roam around the house and yard freely but he's tiny, nocturnal, and rather blind, so that's not very realistic.

I think it just depends on how a cage is used, if it is large enough to give enough room to move around freely and has lots of environmental enrichment, be that food related, toys etc and the animals have a lot of human interaction and time out of the cage then no I don't think it's cruel.
My guinea pigs are kept in a cage but it's 6 ft by 2.5ft so they have a lot of room to run around, they are housed in a herd which is very important for their mental well-being and they have a constant supply of hay to munch as well as chewable toys and hideys.
My cat is also an indoor cat-we moved and unfortunately live by a very busy road. She has lots of room ( we live in a 3 storey house) and places to sleep in the sun and supervised access to the garden. I'd much prefer that to her being out on the road and being hit by a car, if we move to a quieter area in the future then I'd think about letting her out.
I do however worry about a lot of rabbits living in this country, it makes me cringe to see the tiny hutches for sale in our local pet shop as part of a 'rabbit starter kit', most of them would be too small for 2 guineas let alone a single rabbit and a single rabbit is also unfair. :-( Our pigs used to be outside, in a nice big hutch but I felt too guilty about them out there when it was cold and used to spend all evening in the winter checking on them and the heat pads I put in the hutch :haha:
They have time to run around out of the cage but with the exception of my older girlie, don't enjoy being picked up so I don't cuddle them all that much as I figure it would be more for my benefit than theirs!

ETA-a pic of my piggies cage from when I fed them their veggies last night

https://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff73/pinklizzy_photo/AA4615EC-CE90-49F0-AC26-752F9933E097_zpsaakcfv9v.jpg

It's dependent on a lot of things - generally when you have a parrot, you're meant to let them out for a few hours a day? That's what we always did with ours. Plus, making sure they have plenty of toys/climbing/chewing equipment in their cage, and some other stimulation (like a radio, or even just talking to them). Our African Grey was a pretty happy parrot!

I know plenty of people who buy rodents and never take them out of their cage unless it needs a clean, because they're a 'biter' or whatever - that makes me uncomfortable.

I really don't agree with caging birds. I think it's especially cruel

As ridiculous as this sounds i have never heard of parrots living in the wild of England? Am i mad? :haha:

Provided the animal is let out for a long period of time every day, fed, kept clean and with fresh water i don't think its any crueler than a human living in a house myself :shrug:

As ridiculous as this sounds i have never heard of parrots living in the wild of England? Am i mad? :haha:

Provided the animal is let out for a long period of time every day, fed, kept clean and with fresh water i don't think its any crueler than a human living in a house myself :shrug:

More like a closet... where you can only walk a few steps. Paris are very smart too. .. is not like a hamster in a cage. ..

When I was younger I had rats and budgies and yes I do find it a bit cruel. I used to let them out of their cage everyday but it's not the same. Plus most of the caged animals don't get much out of human contact like a cat or dog do. The budgies didn't like me. I eventually gave them to an aviary. Out of the 3 rats, only 1 liked me. Imo it's quite selfish to breed these animals to be kept as pets.

Now I have two dogs and some fish. I do sometimes feel sorry for the fish (guppies), but at least they have a big aquarium, live in a community, and have lots of babies so their life is a bit more complete than a lonely bird/rodent in a cage.

More like a closet... where you can only walk a few steps. Paris are very smart too. .. is not like a hamster in a cage. ..

What parrot cages have you seen? Our one that we had when I was growing up was taller than the average person, with tonnes of room and climbing space - I thought that was the norm? Parrot cages should only really be used for sleeping, eating and pooing anyway - if you don't have the time to have them out for most of day, you really shouldn't get one as a pet.

I agree is a bit cruel. We have a rabbit who has a large cage indoors but she has free run in the house a lot so she uses it for sleep and her litter trey, water and food. My cats are indoor cats. We had a car park in front of house when had them as kittens . when we moved neither had an interest in going out as both a bit wimpy lol. We have fish as in 2 fancy goldfish, 2 snails, 2 butterfly plecs and weather loach who have a massive tank as don't like 2 over stock tank. I think you do need to make sure animals have freedom.

I don't really mind,I mean,obviously all animals being able to stay in their natural environment and be free would be wonderful but if thaat isn't going to happen I would rather they are in a clean,warm house in a cage with some time out and plenty of human love and interaction.Most pets are happy as long s they are not neglected and all the parrots I know which are well cared for really love having human friends to interact with.

My rule is if it has a frontal lobe it is not caged.

I think my cat and dog are quite happy to live comfortably in a house, with access to outside and constant water and food. Our fish and hamster seemed that way too before they died :shrug:

I think my cat and dog are quite happy to live comfortably in a house, with access to outside and constant water and food. Our fish and hamster seemed that way too before they died :shrug:
I agree with this especially when they are bred to be pets. Most domestic animals are happy as pets. I don't think my cats have a stress in the world. They are very content with their lot in the world as are rabbit and fish. The rabbit sees the cats as her friends and is usually the boss and they are very happy with a ready supply of food, water, toys and attention. A small cage is unfair but I think most pet owners make sure there pet has freedom to a certain extent and large cage. Gosh the size of our rabbit cage and she spends most of time hopping around house. She even had a play pen when she was little and her and cats got to know each other

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->