cake making and baking - ALL WELCOME

So exited to have found this thread, I love baking too and would love to learn more on decorating but I have to say you ladies are all pretty amazing at it so look forward to reading though this and getting some tips.

Attached are some photos of my recent attempts. I made Mars Bar Scones which were pretty awesome, just need to figure out how to stop the bits at the side escaping but they tasted awesome! I also made reindeer's with the girls at Girls Brigade last Christmas and they worked a treat, great to do with kiddies. And of course my beautiful assistant my nephew Ernie.

Attachments

• 532303_10151439465794811_1084589601_n.jpg
    532303_10151439465794811_1084589601_n.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 923535_10151449243319811_1452769864_n.jpg
    923535_10151449243319811_1452769864_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 432198_10151188965464811_1487618852_n.jpg
    432198_10151188965464811_1487618852_n.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 391033_10151438954359811_291964058_n.jpg
    391033_10151438954359811_291964058_n.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 665377_10151125349259811_2090526961_o.jpg
    665377_10151125349259811_2090526961_o.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 7
Just made terrys chocolate orange cupcakes using my new wilton nozzles that i ordered and must say they were fab! Would love to learn more recipes, does anyone have a good strawberry and cream cupcake recipe?

Krissy - those cupcakes look very yummy, the reindeer stick is also adorable :)

Sapphire - amazing cake!

My cake making abilities are nothing compared to the talent on here, but I'm learning! Still getting used to the fondant and what it can do. Here's the cake I made for my daughter's Christening.

PS. Can someone remind me who the screen name is for the lady who has Poppet's Pantry? I've been following on facebook but forget who it is. :blush: lol.

Loving the cakes ladies!

I don't have any pictures on my laptop but I will try to get some off my phone soon. I mainly do cupcakes but I am hoping to get more practice with larger cakes. I am getting married in 6 weeks and my dad and I are making the cake ourselves - 120 cupcakes - eeek!

I have started to think about selling my cakes. The ladies that have fb pages, how official did you do it? Did you get your food hygiene certificate and register for self assessment taxes? I would like to start a fb page and go by word of mouth before making it official but I don't want to get into trouble!

Hi, would love to see pics! Ooh how exciting doing your own wedding

cupcakes, and it's not far off you must be so excited:happydance:

Yeah if you want to sell your cakes then you should make it official really otherwise you can get a hefty fine from environmental health, just like takeaways and cafes etc you must be seen to be selling safe food.

The first step is to register with your local council and they should let you know their own procedure and requirements from there.

For me I registered with the council online then an environmental health officer got in touch to arrange to come and inspect my kitchen.

The basics were -

General cleanliness (she looked quite thoroughly even Walls and ceiling)

Everything must be in a good state of repair eg sealant on tiles must have no gaps and worktops no cracks etc

I had to fill in a 'safer food better business' folder (I requested it from the food standards agency)

You must have traceability for all ingredients so that if the situation ever arose you could say where/when you bought a particular ingredient used in a particular cake.

You need to know how to arrange your fridge eg eggs on bottom shelf

She asked me a few general questions about where I stored and cooled cakes and the sorts of ingredients used.

Must have hot and cold water and good sink drainage

All cake stuff should be kept separate from normal food and open packets must be put in sealed bags.

You should not do any domestic stuff, like washing, in the kitchen while
making cakes, also no pets or kids in kitchen while making cakes.

You must be able to give info of any allergens in anything you make.

That's the general gist but I've heard that different councils can be more or less strict on particular things.

You should also get some insurance just in case anything goes wrong eg
someone sues you, and to cover you're equipment. I'm looking into this at the min as I have only just got my certificate from environmental health so am wanting to launch properly at the end of this month. Then the next step is registered with hmrc which I am still yet to do as I'm not completely official yet.

It doesn't cost anything to register and with my council it is not compulsory to have any official training or certificates in food safety.

Hope that helps

Emma x

Thanks so much for this, that is exactly the sort of information I was after. I am swamped with wedding stuff just now but I am going to properly look into this after the wedding.

Less than 2 weeks to go now, I will make sure I take pictures of the wedding cakes and put them up here!

Krissy - those cupcakes look very yummy, the reindeer stick is also adorable :)

Sapphire - amazing cake!

My cake making abilities are nothing compared to the talent on here, but I'm learning! Still getting used to the fondant and what it can do. Here's the cake I made for my daughter's Christening.

PS. Can someone remind me who the screen name is for the lady who has Poppet's Pantry? I've been following on facebook but forget who it is. :blush: lol.

That's me :)

Love your cake well done! Your piping is so neat

Xxx

Loving the cakes ladies!

I don't have any pictures on my laptop but I will try to get some off my phone soon. I mainly do cupcakes but I am hoping to get more practice with larger cakes. I am getting married in 6 weeks and my dad and I are making the cake ourselves - 120 cupcakes - eeek!

I have started to think about selling my cakes. The ladies that have fb pages, how official did you do it? Did you get your food hygiene certificate and register for self assessment taxes? I would like to start a fb page and go by word of mouth before making it official but I don't want to get into trouble!
Hi, would love to see pics! Ooh how exciting doing your own wedding

cupcakes, and it's not far off you must be so excited:happydance:

Yeah if you want to sell your cakes then you should make it official really otherwise you can get a hefty fine from environmental health, just like takeaways and cafes etc you must be seen to be selling safe food.

The first step is to register with your local council and they should let you know their own procedure and requirements from there.

For me I registered with the council online then an environmental health officer got in touch to arrange to come and inspect my kitchen.

The basics were -

General cleanliness (she looked quite thoroughly even Walls and ceiling)

Everything must be in a good state of repair eg sealant on tiles must have no gaps and worktops no cracks etc

I had to fill in a 'safer food better business' folder (I requested it from the food standards agency)

You must have traceability for all ingredients so that if the situation ever arose you could say where/when you bought a particular ingredient used in a
particular cake.

You need to know how to arrange your fridge eg eggs on bottom shelf

She asked me a few general questions about where I stored and cooled cakes and the sorts of ingredients used.

Must have hot and cold water and good sink drainage

All cake stuff should be kept separate from normal food and open packets must be put in sealed bags.

You should not do any domestic stuff, like washing, in the kitchen while
making cakes, also no pets or kids in kitchen while making cakes.

You must be able to give info of any allergens in anything you make.

That's the general gist but I've heard that different councils can
be more or less strict on particular things.

You should also get some insurance just in case anything goes wrong eg
someone sues you, and to cover you're equipment. I'm looking into this at the min as I have only just got my certificate from environmental health so am wanting to launch properly at the end of this month. Then the next step is registered with hmrc which I am still yet to do as I'm not completely official yet.

It doesn't cost anything to register and with my council it is not compulsory to have any official training or certificates in food safety.

Hope that helps

Emma x

Thanks so much for this, that is exactly the sort of information I was after. I am swamped with wedding stuff just now but I am going to properly look into this after the wedding.

Less than 2 weeks to go now, I will make sure I take pictures of the wedding cakes and put them up here!

Oh yes do can't wait to see them :)

Wow it's gettin close you must be so excited, hope it's all coming together for you

Xxx

for my niece's christening :cloud9:

Attachments

• castle3.jpg
    castle3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 10
  • scarlett cups1.jpg
    scarlett cups1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 7
  • scarlett cups2.jpg
    scarlett cups2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 9
For my friend's lo's first birthday:cloud9:

Attachments

• mickey cups.jpg
    mickey cups.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 9
  • mickey.jpg
    mickey.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 10
Made oreo cupcakes today tasted delicious!
https://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/neelam41/IMG-20130528-WA0007.jpg

and my first and last ever wedding cake:wacko:

Attachments

• temp 009.jpg
    temp 009.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 19
  • temp 010.jpg
    temp 010.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 20
Made oreo cupcakes today tasted delicious!
https://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/neelam41/IMG-20130528-WA0007.jpg

drooooooool!!!! they look delicious - so jealous wish i had one right now :haha:

Oreo cupcakes!!!

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kUDRn-sPqtE/TOw1XdUm3AI/AAAAAAAAALQ/HEShzQeX0MQ/s1600/homer_drool_1.gif

Thanks guys! I really enjoy baking but before my cakes were rubbish lol i have purchased quite a few wilton nozzles from ebay which I love and just wanted to ask when piping do u all use disposable bags or what kind do you do? I had 8 disposable ones free got 5 left so wondering what to get now as have no clue

I always use disposable bags personally! Have got a few fabric ones but to be honest after a while.....they stink. And I always forget to put them in with my towel wash in the machine, hand washing just doesn't cut it for me. Sposies all the way!

I use Savoy. Roll of 100 on eBay for £9.50.

You can use ziplock bags as well. Much cheaper, but not quite the same. You can seal them, but refilling them can be a pain because of the zipper.

Thank you! I made strawberry milkshake cupcakes today..https://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/neelam41/IMG-20130530-WA0024.jpghttps://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/neelam41/IMG-20130530-WA0026.jpg

Whipped up a super quick tray cake tonight! The boys at work said they wanted a cake for my last day at work ( :happydance: ) but I also had baby class tonight so I had an hour!!!!

Vanilla & Chocolate Marble, topped with Dark Choc Ganache then PINK hearts in honour of my baby girl. Super quick & easy! Lol

https://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/sue_881/B6033F79-C797-4640-95B7-B75688605026-502-000001311A68C0FC_zpsa7a8e054.jpg

Omg these are all amazing!

I am usually a cupcake maker, I've recently started being more adventurous with cake pops, brownies etc, all my pics are on my Facebook, will have to put some on here tomorrow x

Wow all your baking is making me hungry.

I made a rainbow cake for my friends 30th and covered it in loads of his favourite sweets from his childhood. It was my first attempt and I was pretty impressed at how it turned out! Can't wait to make it again.

My next challenge is root beer float cupcakes for my hubbys birthday so if they turn out alright I'll post a pic.

xx

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 4
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread