Cake Making & Baking Group

i just use andreas recipe for all my cakes

weigh eggs and everything else equal

and i dont use a recipe for my buttercream, i just shove it all in till it tastes right :rofl:

Tracey i would leave them off! I've had a pack of gold ones in cupboard for months and still never used them on anything cos they are tacky!

Tracey i would leave them off! I've had a pack of gold ones in cupboard for months and still never used them on anything cos they are tacky!

i agree!!

i like the silver ones but not keen at all on the gold ones

I am doing a 2 tier stacked cake today for a girl off here's Mums 50th! :)

I'm a bit worried it is going to end up looking like a wedding cake though :s

What do you all do with your kids while you are baking?!

Daisy STILL gets freaked out by the food mixer and runs away but the majority of the time she just bimbles about between the livingroom and the kitchen.

I bought her some alphabet magnets for the fridge and am picking up some fridge Phonics today too!
I feel guilty like I am abandoning her when I make cakes!!

Brooke haaaates the mixer too but it tends not to be a problem as i can only bake when she's in bed :hissy:

Jac a 12 inch cake is mahoosive, like really big, think you'd do better with a 9 inch, thats plenty big enough, esp if your doing a double layer

The mixer doesn't bother Thomas but Caitlin doesn't like it! She doesn't really like any loud noises!

I bought some of that McDougalls Sponge Flour yesterday so going to use that for my cupcakes :D x

alex dosent like the mixer especially when it hits the side of the bowl, i either put him in his walker in kitchen or the ball pit in the livingroom as he cant escape (yet)

i got the macdougalls sponge flour in morrisons!

I know it says you dont need to sift it, but I wanted to and got frustrated when it wouldnt go through the sieve!!!!

Kelly, i tend to find using the recipe that i do, that a 2 egg mix will only make 6-8 cupcakes and a 4 egg mix will make 12-14 but i dont use the same recipe as Andrea, still similar though

:rofl:

Caitlin is off to nanas this morning so as soon as she goes I will be baking, baking, baking :D Thomas will happily just play with his toys or sit and eat :rolleyes: xx

Kelly, i tend to find using the recipe that i do, that a 2 egg mix will only make 6-8 cupcakes and a 4 egg mix will make 12-14 but i dont use the same recipe as Andrea, still similar though

Which recipe do you use Holly? xx

Nothing too different Kelly, i think Andreas just use SR and i use a mix of SR and Plain flours, i cant remember :lol:

Im gonna walk to the shops and get ingredients for carrot cake i think ;o Maybe walking there and back will burn off the calories so it wont be like eating any after all? MAYBE?!

i just use andreas recipe for all my cakes

weigh eggs and everything else equal

and i dont use a recipe for my buttercream, i just shove it all in till it tastes right :rofl:

Thats what I do!

Q- If your buttercream is too thin, what do I add to make it thicker? I tend to use half cream cheese and half butter in with my icing sugar....more cheese/butter?

Brooke haaaates the mixer too but it tends not to be a problem as i can only bake when she's in bed :hissy:

Jac a 12 inch cake is mahoosive, like really big, think you'd do better with a 9 inch, thats plenty big enough, esp if your doing a double layer

Leo screams blue murder at the mixer...I cant bake unless someone is here to watch him for me. Uhmmm I'm sure my tins are 12 inches arent they? or are they? :dohh: maybe their not, no wonder she freaked a bit last night when I said I only have 12 inch tins :rofl: I dont think they are though!

The mixer doesn't bother Thomas but Caitlin doesn't like it! She doesn't really like any loud noises!

I bought some of that McDougalls Sponge Flour yesterday so going to use that for my cupcakes :D x

not seen that. I only use the mcdougals flour in my cakes but not seen sponge flour...will have to have a hunt, tell us what its like once tried hun.

i use 3 eggs for 12 big cupcakes :)

ohhh uhmmm I used 6 last night! :rofl: got 14 HUGE ones out of it though...lol! thought there was loads of mixture:dohh:

what sort of thickness do I need the icing girls, give me a rough guess...

holly how do you make the cream cheese icing?

I used hollys and adapted it myself a little...I use 125 g of cream cheese, 50g of butter, 300g icing sugar (sifted) and 1 tsp of vanilla essence...for basic frosting...makes enough for 12 cupcakes and just double it for a 10 inch cake:thumbup:

add more icing sugar to your buttercream to make it thicker Jac,

dunno.........just under half a cm?! I'll measure it tonight when I am icing these cakes!!

First cake of the day in the oven......... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->