Cake Making & Baking Group

I was either going to fill the cake with caramel or spoon a bit on top and then top it with some melted chocolate so it goes hard! Mmmm.........

Mmm I fancy making mini carrot cakes
does any one have a tried and tested recipe please :flower:

Jacs they look fab :thumbup:

Andrea ... you should flat ice them in the way you thought ... caramel and then chocolate, so it really looks like it iykwim? OMG that would be lush

Hey girls....just popping in to ask a question.....

Its about buttercream filling to sandwich a cake.....

So I use soft butter, icing sugar and soft cheese....tastes lovely! HOWEVER, when i want to make it chocolate....the butter seperates....

I have tried melting the chocolate directly and putting it in, using cocoa powder and mixing in the buttercream, mixing the cocoa powder with water....and it always comes out chocolate butter cream with little lumps of butter that can be seen....hope this makes sense?

What am i doing wrong?
Hmmm not sure but after leaving my kitchen looking like something out of CSI with the icing sugar I blend the butter and cheese together really well first, making sure they have softened at room temperature for an hour or so, then add the icing in 3 lots, then I had my melted chocolate/cocoa and blend well again.

Are you doing it by hand or with an electric whisk?

by hand......didnt think to do it with a whisk :dohh:

GIrls, where can i get pink fluff from :rofl: the stuff that goes around base of a cake! Your cakes are pushing me more and more to buy LO one lol!

I'm tired...i have cakes in oven...

I think i'm going mad,i just started talking to a tin of cakes LOL

Andrea ... you should flat ice them in the way you thought ... caramel and then chocolate, so it really looks like it iykwim? OMG that would be lush

:thumbup:

Haha Holly, you just made me say it! :blush:

"Yum yum piggys bum" God I wish I could get that out of my head, I say it all the time now cos of you!!!

Even Daisy says "iggy bum" Now!!!! LOL :rofl:

mmm those cupcakes look lovely jac :)
taperjeangirl i was planning on having a go at making some choc cupcakes with caramel centres, i as thinking of just pressing a galaxy caramel choc in the middle of the cupcake so you get the chocolatey bit too...iv been planning on doing cupcakes for ages but yet again iv been ill!
I swear iv never been ill for such a long period of time in my life! When i said i felt queasy from the icing sugar it turns out nope - it was the beginnings of stomach flu :dohh:
am pretty much over it now tho so maybe, just maybe ill be able to so some....thats if i can stay healthy for more than 2 days at a time :dohh::dohh::dohh::dohh:
xxx

Btw what was the name of the nozzle you said you could use to put filling in cupcakes Holly? xxx

Right heres my selection for the coffee morning.

Mars Bar Cupcakes
Pink Vanilla cupcakes and Cream Tea Cupcakes

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/kezzybabes/P3301418.jpg

great cupcakes!!!

mmmm shortbread ones, i wanted to do caramel ones....i looked all over asda and tesco's, but couldnt find caramel sauce.....only toffee sauce :(

ive got my caramel curls ready too, but still no sauce :(

I was just gonna make the sauce Tracey, and have some shortbread ready too so I can make some proper millionaires and use up the rest of the caramel!..........mmmmm!!!

mmmmmm,
but im no good with things like that LOL

u sound like a very busy girl andrea!
ive got a castle to do too, but cant remember the date!!! sometime for april anyway LOL for twins.

n mars bar melts...easter cupcakes, suppose i cant complain, ive had almost a week off LOL

All the cakes are looking great! I want to get going but I am dieting for my wedding and I know if I make loads of cakes I'll just eat them, :haha:
I am keeping track of all the recipes and once I can control myself I am baking :haha:

Ive had a week or so off too! Been lovely!

Need to get motivated tonight though and get all the flowers made..... gave up the other night cos they kept going wrong!
Need to make some sugar carrots too for the top of my carrot cake!

Flower, I rarely eat mine! Just usually to taste ....then I go eat a bar of chocolate instead! LOL!

Debating on how to do my easter nest cakes.I was going to do vanilla cupcakes with melted chocolate icing and a crushed up flake nest but wondering if that would show on top of melted chocolate.Hmmmm?

everyones cakes are looking really good!!!

i think im gonna do some cupcakes today, i have a few flavours i wanna do!

I'm making a cake tonight for the first time in ages, any tips? I know you all talk about not opening the oven etc? I already made a rookie error, lol, it's a three layer cake so I tried to divide the recipe by 3 then multiply by 2 as I only had 2 tins. In the end I bought a 3rd tin to save hassle. Read the recipe all the way through today & you bake one cake and slice it into 3 lmao.

Mmm I fancy making mini carrot cakes
does any one have a tried and tested recipe please :flower:

Jacs they look fab :thumbup:

Carrot cakes

Ingredients

*1 lemon
*1 orange
*15ml/ 1 tbsp caster sugar
*225g/ 8oz butter
*225g/ 8oz soft light brown sugar
*4 eggs
*225g/8oz carrots grated
*115g/ 4oz sultanas
*225g/ 8oz self raising wholemeal flour
*5ml/ 1 tsp baking powder

you can add cinnamon if you like

Topping

*50g/ 2oz caster sugar
*1 egg white

Method

1. preheat oven to 180, lightly grease 8" loose based cake tin and line the base with a circle of greaseproof paper

2. finely grate the lemon and orange. Put about half the rind selecting the longest sgreds in a bowl and mix with the caster sugar. Arrange the sugar coated rind on a sheet of greaseproof paper and leave in a warm place to dry thoroughly.

3. cream the butter and sugar untill pale and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually, then beat well. Stir in the unsugared rinds and grated carrot, 30ml/ 2 tbsp orange uice and the sultanas.

4. Gradually fold in the flour and baking powder, and tip into the prepared tin. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until risen, golden and just firm.

5. Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tin then turn out on to a serving plate.

6. To make the topping place the caster sugar in a bowl over boiling water with 30ml/ 2 tbsp
of the remaining orange juice. stir over the heat until the sugar begins to dissolve. Remove from the heat add the egg white and salt and whisk for 1 minute with an electric beater.

7. Return to the heat and whisk for about 6 minutes untill the mixture become thick and glossy, holding a good shape. Allow to cool slightly, whisking frequently.

8. Swirl the cooked meringue topping over the cake and leave to firm up for 1 hour. To serve sprinkle with the sugared lemon and orange rind, which should now be dry and crumbly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->