Cake Making & Baking Group

great cakes girls..

taper...nice roses!! i cant do those...(well i havnt tried really!) ive never seemed to have needed them.....the only roses ive ever made was this:
https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs013.snc1/4203_84601123322_509248322_1836512_4958271_n.jpg

but these are called 'ribbon roses' still made from fondant, but rolled for a contemporary look instead of 'real looking roses'
these drove me insane nevermind all those u made taper! u did a brill job!!

aww sorry girls...i didnt mean to put anyone off.....what i meant was...just EXPECT it to be hard and youll be more pleased with the end result....i tell myself some cakes are IMPOSSIBLE so it makes me feel better when i 'kind of' get it right!! lol

i love ur bum one pinksnowball!!
i did a pair of boobs for my OH....people were asking if i had modelled them off myself.....i said no...if i had modelled them off myself i would need to use long loaf tins to get the saggy-ness right!! :rofl:
https://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v231/21/107/509248322/n509248322_463030_150.jpg

this was also a cake i wasnt happy with......the piping round the top is horrendous!!! i blame it on me being late with the cake and having 5 mins left before he walked thru the door from work!!! :rofl:

Girls a question:

I'm going to get cracking on making little roses for the top of cup cakes, how do you stop the sugar/flower paste sticking? I read that if you over knead it then it goes sticking but when you're adding colour to it you have to obviously mix it well. When it then came to flattening the balls of it to make the petals, it got stuck. I dusted the surface with icing sugar but then got white flecks in my blue petals.

How do you all do it?

i use a sifter thing so the icing sugar is really fine.

https://www.whiteandone.com.au/jpnq4c7x.jpg I use one like that that is for my coffee machine lol

I sit on the sofa watching tv while I do mine! Too back breaking to stand in the kitchen.

I mix up the fondant with colour, I knead it like crazy and it seems ok! Then sit with a tray on my lap, the fondant and a bowl of icing sugar!

I start off with a small ball and dip it in the icing sugar and sort of rub it between 2 fingers and thimb till it looks like a petal then add itto the rose. I glue my petals on and the "wash" the rose down with a tiny bit of water and a paint brush once it is on the cake.

bloody hell!! I did 40 and my hands are aching! Are they just little ones?

360- omg!!!!

anyone who sells them how much do you charge??

ive been asked to make someone one who isnt family but dunno what to charge them??

they want one like the heart one with flowers i posted earlier, ive only ever done them for family before??

sorry doll, havent got a clue! NuttyMummy will probably have an idea xx

You should work out how much your materials will cost and add £7-10 an hour of your time or something? Depends how much work its gonna be Id of thought.

ive just said £20 , it will give me some more practice!!

bloody hell!! I did 40 and my hands are aching! Are they just little ones?

Yeah I want three little ones on each cup cake. How long did 40 take you?

I did them over 2 nights, roughly about 3 hours each night, but I had to keep cooling my hands down cos it has been so humid here and it's no use playing with icing when it's hot!

ive just said £20 , it will give me some more practice!!

Will that be enough to cover your materials? Mind you, word of mouth will get you alot more orders!

I have orders already and I didn't ever deicide I was making cakes for anyone but Daisy!

im gonna make it cherry and almond ...my fave!!!!....well aswell as coconut!!

OOooo I lOVE cherry and almond! Just like a bakewell tart! When are you making it?

shes not told me yet, gonna have to get my all my tins out again i packed them away for alex coming i have LOADS!!

I'm just gonna be doing mine for free until I get good enough lol I'd feel bad for taking someones money if it ends up rubbish!

Ooooh, YUM! I love this thread! Me thinks I'm making cake for dinner tonight!

LOL you talking about cake tins reminded me of this......... (sorry I know it has nothing to do with cake making!)
I ordered some new ones and they were delivered so I put them in the bedroom out of the way and went through to find this!
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/taperjean/DSC05918.jpg

:rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"