Cake Making & Baking Group

Thank you ladies :) I'm really pleased with it, just need to get more practise in now - my daughter wants me to make her a huge black and pink cake for her 13th Birthday Party in June

well done it looks fab!! I really wish I had a pic of my very very first one! LOL!! Yours are all a gabillion times better than my 1st one!!

My first one was crap too!
Black fondant is a PITA btw. I'm never fondanting a cake black ever again! It cracks quite easily so I'd try and convince her that purple or something is prettier!

I really want to make a cake at the weekend but I'm on weight watchers and I know I'd just eat it all :( tut.

SSSssshhhhh blah!!! LOL I have 2kg of black fondant in my kitchen about to be used!!! LOL

The plus side about the cake I am making today is that it is a chocolate one...... and there will be LOADS of waste!!!

Thank you all

Does anyone know where I can get hot pink fondant from? I think if black is bad to work with I might do the opposite of what she's asked and do a pink cake with black hearts all over it instead. She (Amber) has asked for a 2 tier cake but I think I'll just go with a very big single layer instead! Can you balance one cake on top of the other or do you need to put something between them?

Doing this first one has really got me excited about making another now! I've baked for years but never attempted anything like this other than royal icing on a Christmas cake lol I usually just cover them in chocolate or buttercream

your 2 tier one will need support with dowels or straws then a thin board inbetween :)

Yeah the hot pink is a pain in the bum to find! Its M&B that make it

I got mine from here eventually though..........
https://www.blueribbons.co.uk/shop/7/41/80/index.htm

Ladies i know some of you buy the already coloured fondant from supermarkets but is it by 'Dr Oetker'? I've looked in Morrisons, Asda & Tesco and can't find it :( Does it come in a box or something? x

yeah its in a box of 5 colours but they are teeny packets so just for modelling stuff really!

If its to cver a cake you are best to buy the bigger blocks from a cake shop or online :)

Why does my butter always seperate when i make buttercream? i've tried it about 6 diff times and it always does it :S i've followed the recipe and done everything it says. it looks fine when i've made it, but then 5mins later the butter seperates :( how can i stop it? i thought it was maybe the kitchen being warm but i then put the buttercream in the fridge after i'd made it and it still does it :S anyone help me? lol.

wow lots of catching up to do!! glitterfairy yummy lookign cupcakes

jac...thats cake is BRILLIANT!!! youve done such a good job!! u should be VERY VERY proud of yourself!!

jo i saw the penguin in a garden centre...it was a huge rug pulling template thing?!

as for the purple n white wedding cake...u forgot to add the dowels n cake cards to the price :thumbs: xx

i have a cake sitting here almost finished, and the start of another one in the oven!

Alfie is a godsend.....but rather messy!! i told OH i was giving Alfies 'bits' a good scrubbing and all i got was a raised eyebrow LOL

i also have some christening cupcakes to do with blue n white feet, she wants them in silver foil cases (even though im not keen on them!) dont do them till the 30th though.

GIRLS...a question!!!
i have never used whitener before...i just havent had any need for it. but i bought a pot of sugarflair whitener (powder) and added it to some buttercream as it always comes out a little 'yellowish' and it really changed the texture..and the taste a little bit, i didnt put too much in, and it still hadnt gone white really!!
what whitener do u use? how much do u put in? i need to get the BC WHITE and then add blue colouring, coz it just turns a turquoise colour ARRGGHHH!!
andrea when u do ur blue BC, does it come out proper blue?? ive tried navy colouring and baby blue pastes but they both still come out greeny blue because of the BC!

im hoping to try n keep up with this thread but its hit n miss whether i get e-mails when someone has replied!!

its sugarflair whitener ive got..... shit i hope it didnt change the taste! I NEVER taste my buttercream so rely on family to make sure its ok and they didnt say it wasnt so must have been fine ...I hope!! haha!

Squires do an extra white too, its like a food colouring

i dont think ive done baby blue buttercream...... but the whitener did make my white ones really white!!
the bright blue ones from the monster cake was Hyacinth blue by squires..... it is the strongest colour i have ever used , you only need a wee bit to make it that bright blue and it stains REALLY badly!!

so the whitener made my xmas cupcakes really white here...... (i dont like silver cases either! They always pull away from the cake and look crap!)
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs161.snc3/18859_260724895878_620555878_4410436_4070918_n.jpg

thanks andrea, how much did u put in, i found myself tipping about a quarter of the tub in and it still didnt go 'white' i was scared of putting too much in!!

I used a whole tub for those there and the icing on the giant cupcake!
So that was about 3 lots of buttercream

Why does my butter always seperate when i make buttercream? i've tried it about 6 diff times and it always does it :S i've followed the recipe and done everything it says. it looks fine when i've made it, but then 5mins later the butter seperates :( how can i stop it? i thought it was maybe the kitchen being warm but i then put the buttercream in the fridge after i'd made it and it still does it :S anyone help me? lol.

I have no idea really. Dio you use real butter?

now you can help me!! How would you sculpt a wasp from cake?!

I've got a 14" 3 layer rectangular chocolate cake in the kitchen and I dont know where to start!!!

Just ordered some sprinkles and cases from Ebay.Attempting the Nintendo cupcakes for Jacks birthday tonight....really anxious.Hope they look great and he likes them.

mmmmm, youd have to sculpt from scratch!
better to carve too little off, than too much!! so start carving it into a cylinder first just little tiny bits at a time. are u making a seperate cake for the head?

Tracey my whitener is by sugarflair too but i havent really noticed much in the way of it changing the taste.

This may sound really silly but i clicked onto this the first time i made my buttercream white ... i only use perhaps 1 teaspoon if that and mine goes ice white .. add it, beat it in and then take your bowl into the back garden :lol: i found the lighting in my house to keep it tinged slightly yellow and i thought it wasnt working but poked my head out of the backdoor with the bowl and then i could see it was really white :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->