Cake Making & Baking Group

Hi ladies, I need some advice!
I have a couple of cakes to make in a coupleof weeks time, one is simple enough, sponge with Jam and buttercream iced and decorated in fondant icing, it's the second i'm having difficulty with, the customer wants a lemon cake with lemon filling, so I have made sponges and fruit cakes but so far haven't been requested to do anything flavoured! So with a normal sponge I always use self raising flour, some baking powder to make it realy fluffy and some plain flour, not as much as a madeira, maybe half? Just so it is a bit denser, is this ok to do with lemon cake or will it seem a bit odd? If so do I need to add more lemon juice/rind?
And what filling would you use? I suggested Lemon Curd and buttercream, but would a lemony cream cheese filling taste better? Does the cream cheese filling have to be kept really chilled? For example if I was to make the cake on the Thursday to deliver on the Friday and then they had to take on to another venue without it being refrigerated, would that be ok?
Gosh, sorry there are so many questions! :wacko:

Awww hope you have time to get it all sorted Kris.Is baby ok? xxx

Yeh he's ok, its just hes only just started having 3 meals a day and i think his tummys struggling to get used to it bless :(
Hes not dirtied his nappy since yesterday morning, which is the longest ever for him. Not that hes acting all that upset, just a bit squirmy and whingier than normal, hopefully hell be alright tomrow :)
Wolfing down some dinner before i get back into cake-dom :dohh:
I really do have a nasty habit of biting off much much more than i can chew :rofl:
xxx

hello ladies! not been on here in a while!! awesome cakes everyone! Love love love the tatty teddy cake! and Jo your garden cake is awesome!

One thing i've been meaning to ask for a while so that i know for the next batch of cupcakes i make. The piped iceing on the top, is that butter iceing? or is it just really thick royal iceing? on the last ones i made it was butter iceing and it tasted lush! but i wasn't sure what the norm was as it were!

Hi ladies, I need some advice!
I have a couple of cakes to make in a coupleof weeks time, one is simple enough, sponge with Jam and buttercream iced and decorated in fondant icing, it's the second i'm having difficulty with, the customer wants a lemon cake with lemon filling, so I have made sponges and fruit cakes but so far haven't been requested to do anything flavoured! So with a normal sponge I always use self raising flour, some baking powder to make it realy fluffy and some plain flour, not as much as a madeira, maybe half? Just so it is a bit denser, is this ok to do with lemon cake or will it seem a bit odd? If so do I need to add more lemon juice/rind?
And what filling would you use? I suggested Lemon Curd and buttercream, but would a lemony cream cheese filling taste better? Does the cream cheese filling have to be kept really chilled? For example if I was to make the cake on the Thursday to deliver on the Friday and then they had to take on to another venue without it being refrigerated, would that be ok?
Gosh, sorry there are so many questions! :wacko:

you can just do your usual sponge recipe but use lemon extract instead of vanilla. I'd do lemon curd and normal buttercream as cream cheese really should be refridgerated and since its for a customer i wouldnt risk it!

hello ladies! not been on here in a while!! awesome cakes everyone! Love love love the tatty teddy cake! and Jo your garden cake is awesome!

One thing i've been meaning to ask for a while so that i know for the next batch of cupcakes i make. The piped iceing on the top, is that butter iceing? or is it just really thick royal iceing? on the last ones i made it was butter iceing and it tasted lush! but i wasn't sure what the norm was as it were!

royal icing is really hard and imo horrible lol buttercream or frosting as some people call it is usually whats on a cupcake :D

lol yeah hun, its buttercream on a cupcakes......royal icing sets rock hard on the outside....a little bit like the stars on them iced gem biscuits you used to get. (if thats what they were called??!!)

kris i hope your cakes are going ell and your catching up :hugs:
xxx

gilrs! Have any of you seen a zigzag cutter wheel on your travels round cakey websites? Cant fine one!

ooo i have bear with me i'll go hunt my book marks.Like a pizza wheel thingy?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WILTON-Cake-...ookware_GL&hash=item519245a52f#ht_1214wt_1165

Wrong one?

https://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=1907-1206

That one?

would they give a zigzag effect? its for the stripes on adidas trainers you know how they are serrated....

The wilton one does i believe as i need that to do a ribbon on a dress i'm making in my bump cake.In the step by step guide she uses the single tool x

Maybe google it a bit more.I'm no expert.Good luck xxxxx

Hiya!!
Can I ask a quick question? How much cake would I need to feed thirty kids? I was thinking 2 tier sponge but what inch tins?
Thanks xxx

An 8" and 6" would feed around 35 hun HTH xx

Brilliant!! My friend asked if I would do a cake for her son, who will be 6 so gonna just work out cost of ingredients and charge that cos don't know how good it would be. A long shot, but what would you roughly charge for that, plus fondant... £20-£25 ish? xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->