Cake Making & Baking Group

Hello all :) I havent been in here for a while as hubby & I are dieting & ive stopped baking for now :rofl:

Just come for some advice though, I would like to make a hungry caterpillar cake forn Seths birthday using a choccy swiss roll & then decorate it with green icing etc, but also do some cupcakes with lemon icing & toppers with like apples, oranges etc on, or use fondant and cut out the shapes.

So my question is - how do you make green icing? :rofl:

x

oh & also if anyone has any recommendations where to buy suipplies from itd be much appreciated :) x

use green coloured paste?

I have cupcakes to do for a retirement tea party but idk what flavours to do?

what is paste? do you buy it or make it?

is it the same as sugarpaste?

*newbie alert* :rofl:

x

Sugarflair pastes are good for colourings

https://www.cakecraftshop.co.uk/shop/8/104/123/index.htm

That website is good for supplies too.

Blah a pale yellow might be a nice colour for them,or maybe baby blues or light pink?

Girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm cheating!!:dohh:

Ive decided I'm doing Leo's top tier of his cake in fruit now but have bought an 8 inch rum fruit cake all ready made :rofl:

Im armed with marzipan:sick: and white fondant.....what happens next? :rofl:

Do I coat the fruit cake with anything before the marzipan layer? Then coat the marzipan layer ready for the fondant or what?

So saturday im making Lo's birthday cake having his party on the sunday since in Oh family birthdays are big gatherings lol rather than th emonday so thats our day.

Making a 3 tier using a rosting tin as teh bottom with grease paper lol since the size i wanted a shop wanted to sell me for £30 and im only going to use it once :dohh: So doing a chocolate base with the 2eggs = 2oz of everything else mix replacing some flour for coco powder not sure how much to replace yet though.. The bottom layer will be kept intact for the monday... 2nd layer and 3rd will be normal sponge but each tier will be 2 coloured :thumbup:

Brought my self some ready to roll coloured icing since each tier will be a different colour.. Just need to find a nice star to do some start cut outs to put on it..

went into hoby craft but they wanted like £3 for 250g of icing so went to party place and paid £2.90 for 500g of coloured icing think i brought 4 different colours lol

Will add pictures once its all made :thumbup:

jac - when I do my christmas cake I put apricot jam on the fruit cake, then the marzipan, and then a little more jam on top of the marzipan and then the icing, but I use roll out icing so I guess it's kind of cheating :rofl: apricot jam is good for sticking on marzipan though :)

x

Quiet in here!!!

Just got my cupcake decorating set and found the icing bags and big nozzle tricky.Going to take some getting used to!

Piece of cake( :lol:) when you get used to it
I did a few basics on Mon, will upload later x

i got the best order today from craft company! :D im easily pleased you will see, but it was all the little baby things for chirstening cake and lots of other little goodies!!

Its usually just boring cake boxes and food colouring!

Jac I love icing fruit cakes.It is one of the easiest cakes to ice.Warm some Apricot Jam and brush it all over the cake.marzipan then let it dry for at least a day.Then repeat with the icing x

Just found this:-

Place the cake on a foil board or cake plate.
2. Dust your hands and the work surface with a little icing sugar and knead the marzipan until soft.
3. Roll out half the marzipan to fit the top of the cake and roll out the rest in strips to fit around the sides of the cake.
4. Brush the cake all over with the warmed apricot jam and then place the marzipan on top and around the cake.
5. Cover the cake with a clean tea towel and then leave in a cool place for at least one day.

Glitter.... LOL!

I wont be using it all on the one cake but got some different stuff to see what looks best!!

Attachments

• DSC01222.jpg
    DSC01222.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 30
you have just reminded me of hoe lush my sond christening cake tasted took my mum and sister ages to make it
https://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s346/kimbobaloobob/25524_111302378903063_1000006990448.jpg

thats lovely kim :)

ooh that delivery looks exciting, i love getting deliverys. I had my stepdad in stitches coz i got really over excited when my set of knitting looms arrived :rofl:
anything arriving by delivery is too exciting as far as im concerned :haha: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"