Cake Making & Baking Group

lol ive just caught up too n was going to mention clikstix...havent used them myself though!
also thats where i got my 1m from...it was only £1.59!

well both cakes are finished!

remind me not to do 2 such big cakes at once again!!! especially not to try something so complex in just one day!! :rofl:

I used the clikstix ones on my fairy c ake and I found them to be better than the tappits:thumbup: The paste has to be really thin though.

Girls, I have an order or three! OMG!

ok first up I need to make 2 x 50 portion cakes. One fruit (II'll buy this one:blush:) and one choc. They are having a fake wedding cake but want these two for in the back.
How big is a 'finger' of cake, you know that little peice you would get at a wedding? and how big a tin do I need to do it in? Im prob gonna a use a big square tin.

and 2 orders for christening cakes! :happydance:

LOL jac...a finger slice is the same size as your index finger :)

i buy my fruit cakes in too...alot easier, cheaper, and alot less time! xx

search for a sponge cake portion calculator...it will tell you what sizes of cake gives which amount of portions.....but you have to take into account the height too xxx

Hi Jac, Go you - you're getting busy!
I think they generally say that fruit cake servings are about an inch by an inch square and sponge is 1 inch x 2 inches, so for 50 portions of fruit cake an 8" square cake will be plenty
I'm hoping this link works (yesterdays didn't lol!), but here is a calculator which may help you work it out for both the sponge and the fruit, you can buy fruit cake and sponge cake slabs from them, too;
https://www.sweetsuccess.uk.com/portion_guide.asp

to anyone! If you had a customer who didnt like your price, do you negotiate with them??

Ive just had a woman on the phone, that wants a cake for next week (short notice argh!)

and i told her a price and she is away to check other quotes!! :haha:
So would you come down in price to suit them, even though the cake wont look as good cos it would cost for details......

I'm not hugely fussed cos im doing a wedding cake next week so dont really need her order tbh!! I was just going to do it cos i feel bad turning people away!!!

no way andrea!
they only thing i would say is its going to cost x amount for a detailed 1, and x amount for the same but with less detail. i wouldnt actually LOWER the prices of them though...(meaning i wouldnt lower the price of a detailed one n still give her a detailed one)

taken pics of cakes, ill maybe post them 2moro xx

LOL we got there in the end, she said she was quoted by a big bakery in edinburgh for £30 for a 15" cake, i told her its a typo!! add another 0 onto the end of that number and it sounds more acurate!!!

She really didnt have a clue!!! I think she thought that i would be doing her a 12 " for £20!!

haha!! I had to stop myself getting sarcastic!!!

OMG Andrea! No, I wouldnt budge on prices either.

Ive quoted £62 for a 6 inch square fruit - 50 portions
and £45 for a 10" square choc - 50 portions

They are just being marzipanned/iced and ready cut.

Does this sound ok? She was chuffed anyways:haha:

LOL we got there in the end, she said she was quoted by a big bakery in edinburgh for £30 for a 15" cake, i told her its a typo!! add another 0 onto the end of that number and it sounds more acurate!!!

She really didnt have a clue!!! I think she thought that i would be doing her a 12 " for £20!!

haha!! I had to stop myself getting sarcastic!!!

PMSL £30 for a 15" cake! :rofl: What planet is she from!

Thanks for your help ladies re the silver colouring of the fondant.

Jac I think they got a bargin there. Well done for getting so many orders!

I made a 2 tier dummy cake tonight :happydance:

Quite impressed with it :) Everything is made from fondant include my little figure :)

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/kutiekelly2004/P1030285.jpg

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/kutiekelly2004/P1030286.jpg

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/kutiekelly2004/P1030289.jpg

Hi girls, I need advice about piping bags.

I had one from Tesco but the grease seeped through so it was really messy to use. Do you guys use nylon ones or disposable or something else? I'm going to order from craftcompany so if you could recommend some, that would be great!

Thanks xx

Beautiful cake!
I use reusable nylon ones and have never had a problem xxx

i use the 21" blue disposable ones that craft company do, you can get them on ebay a bit cheaper thou

great cake kelly!! and great figure! they arent as easy as they look sometimes are they?!

lover i use greaseproof paper folded into a piping bag x

hows everyones cakes going?

i did my mum n dads cakes....shouldnt really have tried something so complex in a day! but it wasnt too bad!

it was HILARIOUS on the way home from the party.....the 60th cake almost got sat on twice....then i wouldnt let my drunken mum hold it in the car...so i said i would instead! when it came round to it at like 2am in the morning i couldnt b arsed so i just plonked it ont eh parcel shelf along with all the left-over buffet stuff n shut the carboot door........it totally squished the fat model on the top and she was squashed looking out the back window,, it was sooo funny. i got a pic of that somewhere too! LOL

here they are:

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs566.snc3/30909_400596648322_509248322_4305954_4713622_n.jpg
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs566.snc3/30909_400596693322_509248322_4305955_3181749_n.jpg

Fab cakes girls...so nice.

Havent mad anything this weekend as was ill
But the cheer me up i had a delievery from craft company for lots more cutters..butterflies, daisies and other flowers. Also some topper to practise and a cupcake decorating set as wanted another nozzle.
x

Beautiful cake Tracey!
And the 2nd one is hilarious, looks brilliant:haha:
Did u make the roses on the first? They are amazing if u did!

Also love your new logo, the name looks really good :) xxx

haha Tracey the boob cake is so cool! the other one is perfect!

Well done Kelly!!

thanks girls!!

lol no i ddint make the roses!! they are just fabric ones, i was on a VERY short time limit so had to nip to the garden centre for some fake roses! LOL

if u think the second cake is funny now, wait till u see it once it was squished!! lmao, she was staring out of the back window, mouth and tits all squished in ha ha

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->